Longest you’ve waited to get a job offer?

Peaks&Creeks

Lil-Rokslider
So I’ve had two rounds of interviews at a company I respect and would love to be a team of. Interviews went excellent to the point that they hinted at my relocation becoming a reality. I was told that HR would be calling me after the new year. Middle of January I pinged my would be supervisor(who interviewed me), he had told me that HR was busy with end of year tasks, and he would ping HR again. It’s now turning into February and still not a peep. I’m starting to get a bit anxious and worried that it all fell through. Am I over thinking this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

541hunter

WKR
Coming out of college I interviewed for a job in early March and didn’t hear a peep till mid May when they offered me the job.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I applied for a job once in another state in Oct, got a call while I was elk hunting the first week of Nov. I called them back the middle of Nov, and had my first phone interview within a couple days. Then I had a second phone interview a week later. I had my first in-person interview the first week of January. Then I spent 6 hours there one day, interviewed with four different people, and then heard nothing for about three weeks. I finally called them up the end of January and told them I was "OUT" unless they made an offer that day. They called me back a couple hours later to come in so they could present an offer. I countered.....swinging for the fences because they pissed me off. I started a week later.

But that whole process should have been an omen to me. My goodness, those people didn't go to the bathroom without calling a committee to discuss that option, and how it would affect everyone else in the company, community, and the world. No decisions ever got made without a committee. Most frustrating job I've ever been associated with..........even for the short term that I was there.

nphunter

WKR
I’ve hired a few people in the last couple years and it took a long time for several offer letters. We’ve actually lost candidates due to the process taking too long.

You walked out of the interview without an offer? Pssh!

When I am doing interviews, sometimes stuff comes up and it takes a bit to communicate with candidates. I appreciate follow-ups from candidates, and I think your every other week schedule is appropriate. You might ask on your next call if they notify applicants that are not selected. Good luck.

Did you call and find out if the vacancies were filled? If you wanted the job you should have been more communicative during the hiring process

Longest it's taken for me is 5 months with a federal government job. Latest round, applied for jobs in late October and just accepted my official job offer yesterday.

CorbLand

WKR
I would say one of two things is happening. Either HR is really backed up or they offered it to someone else and are waiting to hear back.

When my wife did her last round of interviews for her job, they told her that she had the job but the offer had to officially come from HR. It took HR three weeks to send an official offer.

OP
Peaks&Creeks

Peaks&Creeks

Lil-Rokslider
So from the majority of answers I’m seeing, seems that I’m over thinking it. I’ll be pinging them again on Monday to get an answer on what’s happening, seems like pinging every 2 weeks is t being too pushy to find out if you’re in the running or not.

TheGDog

WKR
Ugh.. getting tense just reading this crap. Knock on wood Been with the company from 92 to 98.. for 3 years went to work elsewhere... then after a layoff there with 14 others... I didn't want to come crawling back to them.... but that layoff happened days before 9/11.. so all the job boards dried up and went dark!!

Eventually in desperation I reached back out to them, and since I didn't burn any bridges they took me back quickly, with a modified sorta prove myself to em again type of deal. So yeah... been with 'em ever since.... and also thru being bought-up by a much larger Corp so the former owner could cash-out.

That looking stuff stresses me out too much, so I just make sure to work like someone who never wants to have to look ever again and it pays off.

Which industry is this job in? If I might ask. That could be influencing the longer lead-in times.

Rat

FNG
I would give them to mid February, they haven't informed you that you didn't get the job so stay positive. Things can move really slow sometimes, a certain person goes on vacation or gets Covid and a couple of weeks get lost. Hang in there.

manitou1

WKR
I was called and offered a job eight months after an interview once. By then, life plans had changed.

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
I haven't been a part of corporate america in many years so take that for what its worth. Ill say this though F that. If the company needs to jump through all those hoops internally it sounds like a shit show to me. If the man doing the hiring doesn't have the ability to hire then why is he doing the interviewing. If they didn't feel they needed to jump on you or lose you it should tell you something. Be fluid and look else where would be my advice. 2 and 4 interviews. Psh what a waste of time. Come work construction. Ive never had an interview take more then 2 beers. Giving an interview or taking one.

RAS

FNG
Definitely should keep your interests in mind. Keep looking, but I wouldn't give up on them or burn any bridges. Did they say they'd contact you either way?

HoneyDew

WKR
This may not be the feedback you want to hear but it really depends. I’ve hired multiple people over the last couple years and honestly we’re always trying to hire the best candidate we can. Sometimes qualified applicants are sparse or they trickle in. So we wait a couple weeks to get multiple options and then pursue the best of them. Depending on when that preferred applicant interviewed within the group they could be first or last. I’ve lost great applicants by taking too long to get them an offer. However I’ve also regretted hiring someone I thought was just ok because of lack of options. So it could be that you are the best candidate but you were first in the group and the hiring manager wouldn’t be doing their job if they didn’t compare and confirm that against at least some other candidates. However it’s also possible they have an offer outstanding with someone else and want to see if it’s accepted. Or their HR process could really take that long. I work in private industry so I can’t talk to these months long waits that some guys say about government jobs. But without knowing the company it’s hard to know. Usually smaller means more control equals faster when they want to be, large companies require stupid levels of approval. However I personally have been professional but direct at times in my own career. If you think you are strongly qualified for the role (and not reaching) then you can reach out and say you’ve received interest from another party. That you would prefer this role but will have to seriously consider the other if you can’t get an accurate update on the status of your candidacy. It may cut through the BS and get you an answer but it’s possible it won’t be the answer you hope for. All depends on your current situation and priorities. Good luck!

OP
Peaks&Creeks

Peaks&Creeks

Lil-Rokslider
Which industry is this job in? If I might ask. That could be influencing the longer lead-in times.

I’m in the distilling industry, not oil and gas, but making hooch. I’ve actually been looking in the oil and gas sector as well as they pay pretty damn good, but not where my career is headed at the moment.

The guy said that HR “definitely would be calling me”, but yeah, I think with end of year stuff, covid, etc, I’m not surprised it’s taking some time.

Wants and needs are two different things keep that in mind. Hopefully you still have been applying and interviewing with other companies. Just keep looking either that job or something better will come up...my old man told me years ago...never chase buses, jobs, women another be along in few minutes. Good Luck!