Longevity of a synthetic puffy

Bbell12

WKR
Have been shopping around for a new synthetic puffy and it got me to thinking, how long does a good synthetic puffy jacket last before the insulation value is degraded to where it’s not practically useable? All I see on the internet is that every time you compress synthetic insulation it loses some of its insulating value but that information is vague and not very useful when trying to determine how long something will last. Thanks

That's a really tricky question to answer. I have a couple of synthetic puffies but they're more of a middle layer active sorta puffy. I've been beating on them for years and haven't noticed much change. They're all either polartech alpha or primaloft gold/silver. I very rarely "compress" them to the minimum possible size, they often get strapped outside a bag.

I never feel like I need to baby them because I never lose any feathers, even the few that have some tears.

rclouse79

WKR
I believe it is a thing. I kept my first synthetic sleeping bag way too long and I swear it was no better than a sheet by the time I finally threw it out.

Makes no difference if it's down or synthetic, compressing it will take insulating life out of it. But, in terms of the synthetic puffy and say if you only use it 160 days a year or so, it should last at least 6 years or more.