Longhunter or High Camp?

I'm not a mountain hunter only because of where I live but I do plan in multi day hunts with my teenage son so a good pack is a must. In conversations with Aron, other forum folks, and my son of course, we've narrowed our choices down to 2 packs as in the title above. We don't use spotters and tripods here and we think the Timberline and DT series is not the "best" investment. That said, we need a pack with a duplex frame (thats just my preference), a pack that is easily compressed for solo day hunts, and one that'll expand to haul plenty of gear and our whitetail meat. Which of the packs above would you prefer and why??

DaveS

Lil-Rokslider
The LongHunter legacy bag with standard lid is 6200 CU and weighs about 2 lbs 11 oz (weight determined by subtracting 4lb 5oz for Duplex frame from 7lb)
The High Camp bag with standard lid is 7000 CU and weighs 2 lbs 3 oz

I would choose the High Camp for the following reasons:

1. High Camp bag is bigger yet lighter than LongHunter legacy
2. High Camp bag has more attachment points for pockets
3. High Camp bag has the roll top feature (though a new LongHunter's might be able to have that as well).
4. I prefer the U shaped zipper on the bottom of the High Camp over the straight zipper on the bottom of the LongHunter.
5. A third compression strap can be added to the High Camp in the middle. I don't see an easy way to add that to the LongHunter
6. High Camp bag is cheaper ($225 versus $289)
7. I like the K-connectors on the High Camp better than the Longhunter buckles. While you could put K-Connectors on the Longhunter I'm assuming they are not standard so you would have to pay extra.

Both bags will compress down very well but the roll top feature on High Camp will allow it be smaller and more compact when in day hunt mode.

OP
T
"5. A third compression strap can be added to the High Camp in the middle. I don't see an easy way to add that to the LongHunter"

Is that purchased separately?

OP
T
Thanks much. I placed my order for a Highcamp in foliage with a duplex frame. This will be my first Kifaru and I have HIGH hopes!

sk1

WKR
Thanks much. I placed my order for a Highcamp in foliage with a duplex frame. This will be my first Kifaru and I have HIGH hopes!

you won't be disappointed, make sure you watch the kifaru videos on proper fit to make sure everything is being worn properly. i've been using my duplex frame for 2 months now and i love it

my reasons for the timberline wouldnt apply to him, mostly cus i cant find a good place for spotter and tripod in my longhunter.
as for the longhunter vs the high camp the bottom of the bag doesnt compress as well as it looks like the high camp will for dayhunting. i get mine cinched down but to get it like the timberlines and the HC its kind of rigged. i dont mind the large wide zip lower access as i put my sleeping bag, pad, and tent all in there, its just where the lower compression straps mount is too far down to compress it empty. i end up taking the loops at the very bottom and putting them through the plastic loops above the lower access and snaping a little carabiner. also i like the way you can mount the belt pockets on the HC for a little organization if you want it

Latest posts

Featured Video

Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
TheRealGerman