Longtime Sako User Joins The Tikka Club! Questions...

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
I ended up getting a deal on a Tikka T3X Superlite chambered in .22-250 that I absolutely could not pass up. I've shot and handled several Tikkas over the years and always liked the way they shoot and their beautiful action. What always turned me off was the stock, plastic bottom end, and protruding magazine. The balance was never quite right for me either for any freestanding and quick shots on small game/predators and varmints.

After some research, I found that guys have been customizing their Tikkas with some really nice aftermarket parts. Here is my question... There are TONS of parts available for these things now. I want some real world opinions on which brands work well and maintain close to the factory light weight nature of the rifle.

Stock: I have already ordered a McMillan Carbon Fiber "Hunters Edge" stock for it. With shipping it ended up costing more than the rifle, but well worth it to me for a quality product going onto a rifle that will see A LOT of field days.

Bottom Metal: Looking for advice and opinions here. I don't want to add too much weight but I'd be willing to sacrifice a few ounces for a quality part. Something to keep in mind if possible... I'd like for the magazine to sit flush with the stock, is there a company that makes a bottom metal and magazine that fits this bill? I would also prefer a stainless magazine over the factory plastic. I would also prefer the bottom metal to be stainless as well.

Other: I would like any other suggestions or opinions on customizing the rifle. Some real world examples and field use recommendations would be awesome. I absolutely respect the opinion of the "leave it alone and shoot it" guys... But this thread isn't for you. Move onto the next one please.

Thank you!

Lawnboi

WKR
The mcmillan inlet tikka stock I got really impressed me. Personally am a fan of the vertical grip. Would happily order another stock from mcmillan. They even went beyond to make some not so standard additions, and double checked to make sure they did it correctly.

Been very happy with my Mountain tactical bottom metal, on multiple tikkas. Thier newer billet mags are also showing a lot of promise. These two upgrades make a plastic free rifle.

Other things that commonly get replaced are the bolt handles, though I don’t think it’s really necessary. Huge following for the Sterk swept ball, Iv been trying to track one down to try.

A triad tactical stock pack with a few extra rounds and a dope card in it would be nice.

A cerakote is nice as well.

Very interested to hear what you get for bottom metal and mag answers. When the time comes Ill do my research, but Id really like a mag with a little more room If there is one.
My guns shoot as good as I could have hoped for with handloads so i couldnt really justify the "real" stock upgrade. Went with B And C stocks for looks and (comparable performance as the stock stock) couldnt be happier. Adding a brake to the 300WM was a clutch move as now i can shoot her easily with one hand. Beyond that Ive gotten the bolts fluted and thats just plain sexy as hell with no other benefit. I prefer the low profile stock bolt and the trigger works fine for this trigger snob (on match rifles anyhow).

Welcome to the club and best of luck.

I have a Tikka Superlite 7MM-08 and sure like it. I did luck out and buy a McMillan Hunters Edge stock for it when they had a sale so ended up paying something like $500 for it. I'm still running the factory bottom metal but will be replacing it with a aluminum one from High Desert Rifle Works. Theirs is basically a replica of the factory one except its aluminum.

For rings I went with Sportsmatch and really like them, also changed the bolt handle/knob to an aftermarket one just because it looks cool:) Actually its also just a bit longer so its also functional IMHO. Also had the bolt fluted for the bling factor - its become one of my favorite rifles and like most all Tikkas it shoots fantastic.

You will be happy with yours once you get a chance to shoot it.

8 twist or 12?

The McMillan sako stock is the bee’s knees.

Not sure if cdi is in business again but that’s what I had previous and now again.

The sterk handle is pretty sweet.

never heard of the sports match rings till formidilisus recommenced here or the campfire but once known hard to pick something else.

then again for my uses a tikka’s the same when someone hands you a sledge making up unions. Grab it and use it, don’t bother worrying about its “feel” or “looks”

function > fashion.

OP
mxgsfmdpx

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
8 twist or 12?

The McMillan sako stock is the bee’s knees.

Not sure if cdi is in business again but that’s what I had previous and now again.

The sterk handle is pretty sweet.

never heard of the sports match rings till formidilisus recommenced here or the campfire but once known hard to pick something else.

then again for my uses a tikka’s the same when someone hands you a sledge making up unions. Grab it and use it, don’t bother worrying about its “feel” or “looks”

function > fashion.

It’s actually a 1:14” twist. I planned on shooting lighter grain bullets out of it but we’ll see what it ends up liking.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I have the mountain tactical bottom metal but I like the looks of the high desert one, I may have to switch.

I switched my recoil lug out with a mountain tactical version, the factory block was sort of chewed up, not sure how it happened or why.

OP
mxgsfmdpx

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Thanks for the replies. I was able to find some really good info in the “let’s see you semi custom Tikka builds” thread.

I ordered the high desert bottom metal. Love the factory look and looks like guys really like the quality.

I also ordered a 3 round aluminum magazine from Mt Tactical. This will have the Mag sit as close to flush with the stock as I’m going to get. It did say this was back ordered so hopefully it doesn’t have a huge lead time.

Looking forward to putting this little rig together soon.

renagde

WKR
Any of the $10 trigger springs will turn your trigger into an aftermarket trigger. I replaced my bolt stop with a titanium one from High Velocity, also got a titanium bolt handle from them. I plan to get the HCA bottom metal from Mike as soon as he released them. Hawkins hybrid rings are the bees knees.

Dunky

WKR
Classified Approved
I’ve have mountain tactical bolt stop, shrouds and bottom metal all are nice in the current version. Some of the 1st gen stuff they had didn’t work as well for me.. Getting mikes hca bottom metal on another when it’s ready. His magazine worked great for my 300 wsm. Also have 2 sterk handles in route. I think atlas works? Makes a swept back handle but not a lefty so I went with the sterk.

Dunky

WKR
Classified Approved
Correction it is anarchy outdoors that makes the swept handle not atlas

OP
mxgsfmdpx

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
I’ve have mountain tactical bolt stop, shrouds and bottom metal all are nice in the current version. Some of the 1st gen stuff they had didn’t work as well for me.. Getting mikes hca bottom metal on another when it’s ready. His magazine worked great for my 300 wsm. Also have 2 sterk handles in route. I think atlas works? Makes a swept back handle but not a lefty so I went with the sterk.

Yeah I liked the look of the HCA mag but it didn't look like they made one for my .22-250. His bottom metal looks like it's going to be pretty nice as well. If somebody ends up designing a billet flush mount magazine for this platform I'd buy 5 of them haha.

AirborneEScouter

Lil-Rokslider
+1 for Sterk swept handle, wish I could use it on all my rifles. I also added a remington style recoil lug that just makes me happier but not necessary. Only cost maybe $100 for parts and labor to have done (I have a Manners T4 that was inletted for this). Lastly, I have a yodave trigger spring that has lightened the pull up. All fairly inexpensive but great additions.

OP
mxgsfmdpx

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
After watching some more videos I ordered the YoDave trigger spring for it this afternoon.

Looking forward to getting all if these parts in the mail next week 😎

I ended up getting a deal on a Tikka T3X Superlite chambered in .22-250 that I absolutely could not pass up. I've shot and handled several Tikkas over the years and always liked the way they shoot and their beautiful action. What always turned me off was the stock, plastic bottom end, and protruding magazine. The balance was never quite right for me either for any freestanding and quick shots on small game/predators and varmints.

After some research, I found that guys have been customizing their Tikkas with some really nice aftermarket parts. Here is my question... There are TONS of parts available for these things now. I want some real world opinions on which brands work well and maintain close to the factory light weight nature of the rifle.

Stock: I have already ordered a McMillan Carbon Fiber "Hunters Edge" stock for it. With shipping it ended up costing more than the rifle, but well worth it to me for a quality product going onto a rifle that will see A LOT of field days.

Bottom Metal: Looking for advice and opinions here. I don't want to add too much weight but I'd be willing to sacrifice a few ounces for a quality part. Something to keep in mind if possible... I'd like for the magazine to sit flush with the stock, is there a company that makes a bottom metal and magazine that fits this bill? I would also prefer a stainless magazine over the factory plastic. I would also prefer the bottom metal to be stainless as well.

Other: I would like any other suggestions or opinions on customizing the rifle. Some real world examples and field use recommendations would be awesome. I absolutely respect the opinion of the "leave it alone and shoot it" guys... But this thread isn't for you. Move onto the next one please.

Thank you!

I'm looking for the same exact thing! I have a .30-06 superlite and I love it. I'm 100% sure it shoots wayyyy better than my abilities. I want to work through upgrading various parts but keep it light and "stock" looking. I've had my eye on the mcmillan edge stocks, but can't pony up the cash for that yet.

I just got the atlasworxs bottom metal and bolt shroud yesterday in the mail. I went with the silver colored ones... in pictures they look like they would match the stainless really well. But, it doesn't. It's much lighter in color. I'm also not real happy with the shape of the bottom metal... it's a bit too large and the edges are very sharp rather than rounded. So, I would probably recommend against that one. I'm either going to sell it and get the high desert bottom metal, or I'll attempt to grind it to look the way I want and have it cerakoted to match the stainless color. The former seems like the much easier option!!!

Lumley Arms has a titanium bolt shroud that is machined to look just like the Sako shrouds and it does look like it matches the stainless really well. Coretac Solutions out of Canada carries the Atlasworxs stainless bolt shroud, but the shape might not be for everyone.

Are you going to go with the MT billet magazine and have it cerakoted to stainless color?

OP
mxgsfmdpx

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
I ended up with the High Desert bottom metal in black along with MT billet mag in black. Decided to go with black instead of trying to match the stainless. With the black scope and black Talley rings I think it ended up looking pretty sweet.

E1F2B75B-8489-4C5D-A8C7-D2E3A199B06E.jpeg

C4F65517-A39A-4D64-BF31-2C7228C2EF1C.jpeg