Look at the new NRL Hunter

He is one of the best ambassadors and leaders for the sport, especially in practical hunting applications.

I have interacted with him on forums and called him about his match a couple years ago. Absolute champ of a guy.
You know, my first interaction with him a long time ago was when he was still training our troops in the Pacific Northwest. I had just finished shooting a stage when he came up to me and offered a tip to improve my shooting. I will never forget his advice and how kind he was to offer it.

And one more thing. He defended our country and devoted his life to protecting everyone here in the US. I could not ask for more from any other American. Scott is the man but humble about it, a true professional in every sense of the word.

Okay... okay.. I'll stop gushing about my friend. My apologies.

FLS

WKR
We done some local matches with a similar format. Once you leave the truck you’re carrying everything you’ll need for the day, hiking from stage to stage under a time limit. Hunter class equals a 15 lb max rifle with 15x max magnification. 6mm min. .30 cal max 3200 FPS speed limit. Open is everything else. Fun format and a nice change from the cookie cutter PRS formats.

We done some local matches with a similar format. Once you leave the truck you’re carrying everything you’ll need for the day, hiking from stage to stage under a time limit. Hunter class equals a 15 lb max rifle with 15x max magnification. 6mm min. .30 cal max 3200 FPS speed limit. Open is everything else. Fun format and a nice change from the cookie cutter PRS formats.

Only thing that might suck is 15x magnification if you don't have something on hand that fits the bill. Until recently I either had 9x or over 15x.

OP
hereinaz

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I love it!

I would have to lobby for a change in magnification cause my hunting rifle has 18x and is still under 12 lbs suppressed. The weight limit makes sense and is doable. But, I think a limit on magnification is a little strange, cause there are a lot of legitimate hunting scopes over 15x. Although, I could easily agree to not go over 15, cause I rarely go over 12-15 in PRS matches and my own rock shooting fun.

Any particular reason for the 15x max?

FLS

WKR
It was a local match and at the time, 4.5-14 Leupolds, 4-12 Bushnells, and 4-14 SHVs, were what we foresaw being used. Honestly we never had much participation. Open and Tac are where everyone wants to play.

OP
hereinaz

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
It was a local match and at the time, 4.5-14 Leupolds, 4-12 Bushnells, and 4-14 SHVs, were what we foresaw being used. Honestly we never had much participation. Open and Tac are where everyone wants to play.
That's the thing, I think a lot of guys are like me and will do the hunter series, but maybe not. I sure hope NRL makes it.

I shot PRS and DMR style matches for a couple years......they definitely help your confidence. I lost interest when the specialty gear started to take over (tripods, pump pillows, and everything else). The best matches were the ones that limited you to a rear bag, pack, and bipod.

OP
hereinaz

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I shot PRS and DMR style matches for a couple years......they definitely help your confidence. I lost interest when the specialty gear started to take over (tripods, pump pillows, and everything else). The best matches were the ones that limited you to a rear bag, pack, and bipod.
Yeah, it is more gamer now, not as much fun.

But I wonder if part of it is cause the newness and excitment learning wore off. I think any match is still good for anyone to do some and learn the basics and practice.

I gotta say all the pillows and tripods infected my hunting so I rarely carry a bipod anymore. Not that I get nuts, but I use a tripod, pillow and rear bag.

My pillow is literally my pillow and a seat for glassing though. And my other bag is minimal and less than 11 ounces.

FLS

WKR
The shine wore off for me. Expensive and time consuming. Match fees, travel, lodging, meals, ammo. It’s easy to have close to a grand in a two day match. And I felt like I was living at the loading bench or working on gear.
I shoot 4-5 one day local matches a year now. There’s a group of us ( east coaster is one) that will go to a buddies farm, bang steel, burn a few steaks and drink a few beers, and talk a lot of shit.
The Hunter Series matches sounds like fun and should be successful if they can keep the gaming and arms race under control.

OP
hereinaz

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
The shine wore off for me. Expensive and time consuming. Match fees, travel, lodging, meals, ammo. It’s easy to have close to a grand in a two day match. And I felt like I was living at the loading bench or working on gear.
I shoot 4-5 one day local matches a year now. There’s a group of us ( east coaster is one) that will go to a buddies farm, bang steel, burn a few steaks and drink a few beers, and talk a lot of shit.
The Hunter Series matches sounds like fun and should be successful if they can keep the gaming and arms race under control.
I think a lot of people cycle through like that. I did. The shine wears fast at 600 a pop for a weekend once the novelty passes. I am a few locals and one two day a year for matches.

FLS

WKR
Shot a local today. 7 stages. 50 rounds rifle and 50 rounds pistol, $75 per shooter, done by 1300.
Challenging course of fire, short par times, rifle out to 600, pistol out to 90, set up so you had to work as a team. I much prefer this type of match these days.

I think a lot of people cycle through like that. I did. The shine wears fast at 600 a pop for a weekend once the novelty passes. I am a few locals and one two day a year for matches.
It's the nature of shooting sports, burn out and expense... I come from 20+ years of USPSA and 3-gun... a major would cost me $1500, it gets to a point where the time/cost isn't worth it. PRS/NRL is new, think I'll do that for a while and the hunter series sounds kind of refreshing...

FLS

WKR
I was an avid 3 gun shooter. We had some really good matches around, only a couple left. Can’t imagine trying to get folks to a 3 gun match these days. standard for a one day was 100 rifle, 100 pistol, 100 birdshot and a few slugs. 2-3 times that for a major would break a guy that didn’t reload.

OP
hereinaz

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I was an avid 3 gun shooter. We had some really good matches around, only a couple left. Can’t imagine trying to get folks to a 3 gun match these days. standard for a one day was 100 rifle, 100 pistol, 100 birdshot and a few slugs. 2-3 times that for a major would break a guy that didn’t reload.
Thats a fortune in ammo these days. People won't have components to load and shoot matches. Or money to pay what it's going for.

I did a pistol match a few times, it was never as much fun and challenge for me as PRS, it hooked me.

Reactions: FLS

kharb22

Lil-Rokslider
Just imagine if they still had the Ironman at Parma. Lol. The first year I shot that I went through 100 slugs over those 3 days. And lots more shot, pistol and rifle. I'll shoot 1 3 day match this year for 3 gun and that'll be it. I used to shoot 5 or so majors a year, usually flying to 1 or 2.

FLS

WKR
I shot Heavy Irons for the first several years. Enough 308 and 45 ammo for a two day match now would cost an arm and a leg if you didn’t reload.

Just imagine if they still had the Ironman at Parma. Lol. The first year I shot that I went through 100 slugs over those 3 days. And lots more shot, pistol and rifle. I'll shoot 1 3 day match this year for 3 gun and that'll be it. I used to shoot 5 or so majors a year, usually flying to 1 or 2.
Yep, shot it from 2011 to the end... would shoot and then RO the second half and 2 years I shot trooper and then tac.... that was going through some ammo! That would be $10K in todays ammo prices. LOL

kharb22

Lil-Rokslider
Yep, shot it from 2011 to the end... would shoot and then RO the second half and 2 years I shot trooper and then tac.... that was going through some ammo! That would be $10K in todays ammo prices. LOL
Parma is my home range. I still shoot High Desert which is the old Ironman weekend. I shot it the last 2 or 3 years. I always worked OLHOT and shot Tac Ops.

pattimusprime22

Lil-Rokslider
I know I'm probably celebrating prematurely, but just wanted to share my first 3, 3-shot groups of reloaded ammo out of my factory browning hells canyon speed 22" in 6.5 creed. All in weight is around 10# scoped with harris bipod and a cheek riser pack. Prior to this the best groups I had gotten out of this rifle were just around 1 moa with various factory ammo. This is my first time reloading and I was doing velocity ladder tests to find the powder charge needed to hit the power factor with 140 gr bullets. Since I had some extra sized cases ready I just loaded up 3 sets of 3 with varying seating depth to start trying to find that sweet spot.

I know these are just 3 shot groups and odds are that the stars were aligned, but since this is just a lightweight, deer hunting rifle, I'm satisfied. All 3 groups under .66 moa and the first 3 were in .21. I shot them all on the same spot just cause my range doesn't allow multiple spots on a target frame, so the photos look a bit cluttered. I did slightly change my point of aim for each group. Still need to go back and do 5 shot groups to see what happens as the barrel heats up and I'm hoping I get lucky again :) I will say just signing up for this match has lit a fire under my butt to go out and try new things.

Attachments

• Ballistic-X-Export-2021-02-13 12_42_25.161346.png
    Ballistic-X-Export-2021-02-13 12_42_25.161346.png
    1 MB · Views: 17
  • Ballistic-X-Export-2021-02-13 12_47_08.901406.png
    Ballistic-X-Export-2021-02-13 12_47_08.901406.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 17
  • Ballistic-X-Export-2021-02-13 12_45_40.224231.png
    Ballistic-X-Export-2021-02-13 12_45_40.224231.png
    1 MB · Views: 18