Look at the new NRL Hunter

Parma is my home range. I still shoot High Desert which is the old Ironman weekend. I shot it the last 2 or 3 years. I always worked OLHOT and shot Tac Ops.
I missed High Desert this year, but have shot it every other year, Aaron does a great job. .... I'm sure we have crossed paths...

kharb22

Lil-Rokslider
I missed High Desert this year, but have shot it every other year, Aaron does a great job. .... I'm sure we have crossed paths...
Aaron is one of my best friends and I shoot with him, Farmer and the Montana crew. I'm almost positive we've crossed paths at some point. I also either work or shoot the team match and that's a blast.

OP
hereinaz

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I know I'm probably celebrating prematurely, but just wanted to share my first 3, 3-shot groups of reloaded ammo out of my factory browning hells canyon speed 22" in 6.5 creed. All in weight is around 10# scoped with harris bipod and a cheek riser pack. Prior to this the best groups I had gotten out of this rifle were just around 1 moa with various factory ammo. This is my first time reloading and I was doing velocity ladder tests to find the powder charge needed to hit the power factor with 140 gr bullets. Since I had some extra sized cases ready I just loaded up 3 sets of 3 with varying seating depth to start trying to find that sweet spot.

I know these are just 3 shot groups and odds are that the stars were aligned, but since this is just a lightweight, deer hunting rifle, I'm satisfied. All 3 groups under .66 moa and the first 3 were in .21. I shot them all on the same spot just cause my range doesn't allow multiple spots on a target frame, so the photos look a bit cluttered. I did slightly change my point of aim for each group. Still need to go back and do 5 shot groups to see what happens as the barrel heats up and I'm hoping I get lucky again :) I will say just signing up for this match has lit a fire under my butt to go out and try new things.
Awesome. What match are you attending?

zrodwyo

Lil-Rokslider
What is the round count on a single stage?
Do you need detachable magazines?

The event I went to was like minimum 3-4 rounds per stage if you made 1st round impacts on each target.

Not only did I not have detachable mags I single fed and did better than most.

I think everyone should do a NRL Hunter event. Especially one in the mountains. I think a lot of people would realize their max effective range is half what they think it is.

Wrench

WKR
I'm gearing up for one here. I have no desire to roll with the tripod guys....but seriously, where else am I going to get a chance to shoot from a helicopter?

Wrench

WKR
I know I'm probably celebrating prematurely, but just wanted to share my first 3, 3-shot groups of reloaded ammo out of my factory browning hells canyon speed 22" in 6.5 creed. All in weight is around 10# scoped with harris bipod and a cheek riser pack. Prior to this the best groups I had gotten out of this rifle were just around 1 moa with various factory ammo. This is my first time reloading and I was doing velocity ladder tests to find the powder charge needed to hit the power factor with 140 gr bullets. Since I had some extra sized cases ready I just loaded up 3 sets of 3 with varying seating depth to start trying to find that sweet spot.

I know these are just 3 shot groups and odds are that the stars were aligned, but since this is just a lightweight, deer hunting rifle, I'm satisfied. All 3 groups under .66 moa and the first 3 were in .21. I shot them all on the same spot just cause my range doesn't allow multiple spots on a target frame, so the photos look a bit cluttered. I did slightly change my point of aim for each group. Still need to go back and do 5 shot groups to see what happens as the barrel heats up and I'm hoping I get lucky again :) I will say just signing up for this match has lit a fire under my butt to go out and try new things.

Be careful relying on 3 shot groups to tell you more than what DOESN'T work. Keep feeding your groups until you mess them up.....that's less luck and more life.

I managed 10 before I screwed it up too bad....but it bought me a lot of confidence. 20220212_171317.jpg

Wrench

WKR
Lol the tripod guys?

I'm thinking about signing up for that one too.
Watching guys plop a rig in a saddle an touch it off doesn't do it for me.

Rope that shit around a tree trunk or off a pack....that's my style.

To each their own, just not my deal.

PONYBOY

Lil-Rokslider
Been doing local PRS matches for the last year. All are entitled to their own... I can tell you competing has definitely made me a better hunter/shooter, especially at crunch time. Shooting positions, timed element, pressure, needing to know your rifle inside and out... All have helped in a big way. Are the competitions always comparable to hunting scenarios? No way... hunting is dynamic and shooting stages are mostly static. The comps definitely help and they have been really FUN.

One skill that competitions have really helped with.. Using the Reticle. This year on a Coues hunt I managed to fall on a slope and bang my scope pretty hard (That moon rock in AZ - Ya know if ya know haha). Everything looked ok so I proceeded with the hunt. Well, opportunity came knocking and I found a buck at 450 yards, which is a shot I am very comfortable with and practice for. I take first shirt and see my impact miss a good 3 feet to the right in a no wind scenario (Rifle was dead on going into the hunt). In comps, you practice hard to see your shot so you can adjust quickly under time. I saw exactly where the impact was in my reticle and made a fast adjustment. The second shot was a perfect broadside shot to the boiler room.. buck didn't go 20 yards.

Fundamentals, using the reticle, and trusting hit placement to make adjustment were all skills that got developed this last year.

Just signed up for Mason Valley NRL Hunter Match in CA - Looking forward!

One skill that competitions have really helped with.. Using the Reticle. This year on a Coues hunt I managed to fall on a slope and bang my scope pretty hard (That moon rock in AZ - Ya know if ya know haha). Everything looked ok so I proceeded with the hunt. Well, opportunity came knocking and I found a buck at 450 yards, which is a shot I am very comfortable with and practice for. I take first shirt and see my impact miss a good 3 feet to the right in a no wind scenario (Rifle was dead on going into the hunt). In comps, you practice hard to see your shot so you can adjust quickly under time. I saw exactly where the impact was in my reticle and made a fast adjustment. The second shot was a perfect broadside shot to the boiler room.. buck didn't go 20 yards.

Come on, you gotta tell us the scope and mounting details 😁

mthayr

WKR
We have one event locally here in Dalton, NH. I may do it just to see what it's all about. Not really going to shoot it with what I consider a hunting gun, my 6.5 Creed is in a KRG and has a new barrel on it and weighs around 12#, so puts me in one of their two "open" classes, not that I care about that.

Fortunately, I've got plenty of powder, bullets, and brass for that gun too. @Don Qui Puncher - end of June....
@Brendan Website?

Brendan

WKR

rifletuner

Lil-Rokslider
What is the round count on a single stage?
Do you need detachable magazines?

Each stage is min 4 rounds, max 8 rounds. If you make a first round impact on a target, you score 2 points and will be told by the RO to engage the next target.

If you dont impact the target on the first round, the RO will tell you to reengage. If you impact the target with the second round you will score 1 point and be told to then engage the next target. If you do not impact with the second round, the RO will tel you to engage the next target.

So a mag that will hold 8 rounds means you can complete the stage without a reload. But the are many competitors shooting whatever they have and loading rounds as they work through the stage.

tak

WKR
So if my wife went is there an opertunity to share gear? Or no way since its blind stage?

They have a skills division that's allows coaching, so she may be able to enter that. Not sure how this works exactly, but you may be able
To shoot the stage first, then coach her. From what I've seen they are more accommodating to getting people out there and shooting than about any competitive shooting sport I've seen.

I shot the Oklahoma match this year as my first one, it was a blast and I highly recommend it!
I'm going to try to make the Laramie match, maybe cameo, and if everything works out, the final in Idaho.

If you're on the fence about shooting one of these, do it!