Look for a job in a few of the Rocky Mountain States

hobbes

WKR
Expect a significant decrease in salary in MT, WY, and ID. The cost of living is less in some of those areas. However, places like Bozeman have seen a drastic increase in cost of living, primarily housing costs, but incomes haven't climbed at nearly the same rate.

Good luck on your search.

Last edited:

jimh406

WKR
Nobody in the cities care where you are from. Small town people won't care when they get to know you. I agree with get rid of your CA plates as soon as you can and don't wear location specific clothes unless it is local to where you move. There's not just any sense in keeping them. Change to a local phone number as well.

As far as where to move goes find the jobs and figure out if those are place you'd like to move. Keep in mind that these are large states and the weather can vary a lot throughout the state, so take a look at the climate data before you move. Obviously, there isn't as much traffic as CA, so you can live out of town quite a ways and still have an hour drive or less.

If you aren't on LinkedIn, try it and get coworkers to give you endorsements for your skills and recommendations if you haven't been doing it already. In other words, expand your network. Your updated profile with the right keywords will get you contacted by recruiters.

Idaho has this wonderful thing where they plaster the County your vehicle is registered in on your license plate. We Idahoans were judging each other long before the Cali plates showed up. If you do come to Idaho I recommend the specialized wildlife plates. The guys who lived here a long time know what I am talking about. 1A, 2C, 6C, N, K. You would see a plate that wasn't from your county and you would wonder what they hell they were doing in your part of the woods, lol. I also have experienced people who aren't true Idaho natives being the ones who complain about people moving in, or at least its the ones who openly complain and are rude about it. I am a true born and raised Idaho native, like 3rd or 4th generation. I have had people apologize to me when telling me where they moved from, and more than once I have stopped them and told them, I am not judging them, that is not my job, my job is to love them and treat them with the love and kindness that has been shown to me. Also I don't blame them, they obviously have been made aware of the amazing beauty and the lifestyle this state has to offer. I personally think that social media is what opened most peoples idea to living in these Mountain States, it wasn't just Covid that pushed them here, people are always posting how amazing Idaho, MT, WY is and all the fun rainbows and sunshine lives they are living here now, but then you see them complaining about all the people moving here, what did people expect to happen. You have Youtubers who have made a living about how incredible it is and all the fun adventures they are always going on. I also believe is what has caused a significant number of the issues in this country, but people aren't willing to really admit that because A: they are addicted to it themselves, or B: they think somehow it has brought them closer to friends and family, which many studies show that it has done quite the opposite for most. I will say though I have experienced more of the "you ain't from around here are you" in Montana then I have anywhere else, I think maybe they are just bored, not sure. Good luck on your search. If you have the kind of experience and drive that it appears you have, you will be successful where ever you go, its just the way it works for strong willed driven people. I will personally welcome you if you land on Idaho, check out the CDA area for potential jobs, but like many of said, Idaho is unique its politics and beliefs, try to figure out what those are, and decide whether they are truly your beliefs. Most really don't care how manicured your lawn is, and most don't care if you park on your lawn, at least not the small town folks. Also many don't care whether the t-ball team has matching pants or not, if your kid wants to where jeans and snow boots, cool, just happy they are here and having fun.

CorbLand

WKR
Idaho has this wonderful thing where they plaster the County your vehicle is registered in on your license plate. We Idahoans were judging each other long before the Cali plates showed up. If you do come to Idaho I recommend the specialized wildlife plates. The guys who lived here a long time know what I am talking about. 1A, 2C, 6C, N, K. You would see a plate that wasn't from your county and you would wonder what they hell they were doing in your part of the woods, lol.
2Fers dont know how to drive
1Aers really need to stay on their side of the state.
5Cers, where the **** is that?

Yes, this is sarcasm...except for the 2F part, they really dont know how to drive.

Yes, this is sarcasm...except for the 2F part, they really dont know how to drive.
Haha, see I have no idea where 2F and 5C are, but given your comment about 1Aers I feel my assumptions are pretty good, lol. I have lived most my years in the Northern part of the state in the Pacific Time Zone (long time residents will understand), did spend about 8 years in 1A though. Notice though how the same feelings about each other are shared across the state, and further justifies my thoughts on getting personalized or the wildlife plates. Did realize though that my camper still has 1A plates on it, Rookie move!

137buck

Lil-Rokslider
Haha, see I have no idea where 2F and 5C are, but given your comment about 1Aers I feel my assumptions are pretty good, lol. I have lived most my years in the Northern part of the state in the Pacific Time Zone (long time residents will understand), did spend about 8 years in 1A though. Notice though how the same feelings about each other are shared across the state, and further justifies my thoughts on getting personalized or the wildlife plates. Did realize though that my camper still has 1A plates on it, Rookie move!
It's the same way here in Montana, we have the county plates too, and most of the state despises the dreaded 7 plate, almost as much as the California plate. Here, the hate for California is bad, I've seen people flip them off, yell at them to go home and more. And it seems to be getting worse over the last two years.

CorbLand

WKR
You left 1A plates on longer than you had to? What is this? Amateur hour?

Last edited:
It's the same way here in Montana, we have the county plates too, and most of the state despises the dreaded 7 plate, almost as much as the California plate. Here, the hate for California is bad, I've seen people flip them off, yell at them to go home and more. And it seems to be getting worse over the last two years.
I made sure I got veteran played just so I didn’t have to get 7 county plates. Hunting over East was a big part of that. People see the 7 and that’s the end of the story.

OP
SoCalHunter

SoCalHunter

Lil-Rokslider
Expect a significant decrease in salary in MT, WY, and ID. The cost of living is less in some of those areas. However, places like Bozeman have seen a drastic increase in cost of living, primarily housing costs, but incomes haven't climbed at nearly the same rate.

Good luck on your search.
It cannot be a worse ratio than SoCal. Nothing is.

hunterjmj

WKR
My buddy lives in Gallatin, 6 plates, so he ended up getting custom plates because all the shit he'd get out east. Not going to lie, I hate seeing California plates.

sneaky

"DADDY"

1Fers are worse than 2Fers lol

BNSF signal department is looking to hire on in WY, MT, and CO this year. 8/6 schedule, paid travel, and expenses on most construction gangs. 2 year OJT apprenticeship, so no prior experience needed. They also pay for your CDL training.

amassi

WKR
WY is getting inundated too. The quaint Western towns as we knew them are diappearing... quickly.
As soon as the state population went over 600,000 it all went to pot.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk