Looking at 106 in Wyoming this year

Mojave

WKR
Got 7 or 8 points, and going to do the special.

Got the Wyoming DAV 100% 5 day early pass.

Is there a better unit for my points?

I grew up in Riverton before I spent 20 in the military and lived all over the world. Haven't hunted at home in Wyoming since 2003.

Mojave,
Thanks for your service. My son and I hunted 106 last year. We had 8 1/2 points
and drew regular tags. We wanted a sure draw but also I did a lot of research and
decided it would be a good hunt. We waited to the 3rd week to hunt and had unit
to ourselves, never seen another hunter. It's surrounded by some of WY best units
like 64,68,67 and was told by a state employee there are just of big goats in 106
and he himself has the tag. Had a great hunt, great weather, unit to ourselves ,you
will get sick of glassing bucks every 1/2 mile but we never seen a buck that would
be considered trophy size. Think previous winter and dry summer had a lot to do
with it. Overall great time but would be cautious if your looking for trophies.

OP
Mojave

Mojave

WKR
Thanks for your support.

I reckon that if I have a 5 day head start it ought to be pretty good. A lot of snow this year, so it might not be.

I have to do something with these points, I am pretty sure we hunted the same unit as residents when I was a kid. So that is another interesting aspect of it.

I drew this hunt with 7 NR points last year. Hunted wo 10/5/21. Lots of animals. Passed on 5-6 medium sized bucks. Just didn't see what I was looking for. Never saw another hunter. As Elk Dreamer stated above, the hot dry weather in 2020 out West likely stunted horn growth. So far alot more moisture here in the West over winter and spring so conditions may be better for trophy potential this year. Good luck.

OP
Mojave

Mojave

WKR
Thanks to Wyoming Game and Fish's 100% DAV law I can hunt 5 days before the rifle opener with a rifle. Should have the unit to myself.

I'll give it a shot, either they'll give me a tag or I'll get one next year. I should be in the running to get a tag. I need to burn my points before enough Wyoming voters decide to decrease the non-resident quota to 10%

rolocasi

FNG
Not a bad unit, I hunted it twice over the years. With your points and special there are many other units that are equally as good or better (lopes in that country took a hit not long ago). You can get a trophy antelope buck out of any unit in WY (even on 1-3 point units), so if you like the country and are sold on it then apply. I only saw other hunters once after opener and ended up with a high 70s goat (biggest we saw, but had a blast). Small unit, goods access. Great unit if you are scouting for an an elk tag in unit 24, or a deer tag on unit 90. (Wife and I have 8 points combined, but looking elsewhere). Bring enough gas/ice (nothing was open in Jeffrey city when I hunted it).

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    46.6 KB · Views: 39
OP
Mojave

Mojave

WKR
Nice buck!

Considering the number of points I have, and the time it took to accumulate them I will be happy with a mature buck. You have to give it hell and be happy with what is available.

I have enough points to draw a pretty good elk tag in Arizona, but they have had really poor water for a few years and I don't think it is worth it.

As a resident of New Mexico I will put in for every unit in the Gila that I can draw. We have no points system to worry about.

My father is 80, on oxygen and not doing well. We need to do another antelope hunt before he is gone. In the place we started hunting antelope when I was a child.

OP
Mojave

Mojave

WKR
Somehow I screwed up the dates on this one. If drawn I can't hunt it until September (I had it in mind that it was August).

They (WYGF) changed the regions for deer. I was going to apply for a Unit 10 tag, but since I am already hunting antelope there (presumably) I could also burn 5 deer points and get a Region Q deer tag.

With the disability rule I could be hunting on the 10th of October.

Will there be any antelope bucks left the 10th of October worth burning 9 points on?