Looking at a Mathews V3 - 27" vs 31"

OP
rileybassman
It’s just industry garbage to justify releasing multiple new models every year nothing more. Advertising works.
It's nice having size options tho... it's tough to build a bow optimized for a 26-28" draw and then like a 30-32+".

I'm looking at maybe next year picking up a Prima for my wife... which seems like it's in-between the 2 length wise at 30" but with a draw of 21.5-27.5.

I'm sure that the year to year updates are minimal, but like cars... when you only buy one every 8-12 years, the cumulative updates add up.

I think the centered cable guard is actually a big improvement. The cam sync is slightly off from the cable guard position on previous models, the centered guard fixed it and has the cams rotating exactly with each other.

I look for that to be the changes made on the TRX line, and if it is, I'll likely get a 34 for my hunting bow.

I have the vxr 28 and I'm looking to buy a longer ata bow.. out to 40 I shoot it fine. But l like to shoot out to 100 for fun . I shoot 29 inch draw but I prefer 32 to 34 ata.. The shorter bow just isn't as easy to shoot for me at longer ranges
I had a similar experience with a different short ATA bow. I wanted a smaller bow for kicking around the woods with, and man the thought of a 28” bow sounded great.

I was the same way - out to 40 I was decent but beyond that it got really inconsistent. There’s no way I would’ve felt comfortable shooting beyond that at an animal… and while some places I hunt 20-30 is the norm, I also don’t want to be handicapped by the bow if something steps out beyond 40.

I went back to longer draws and haven’t left again. I have a Ventum 33 and a VXR 31.5 that I shoot equally well. The VXR has a nose button on it though because the string angle isn’t enough to be able to touch my nose.

mwebs

WKR
Ha I meant to say I would never buy a Hoyt, sorry not trying to derail the thread. Smaller bows are better for stealing to the pack, there lighter, more nimble (think top cam hitting a tree branch when you draw on a bull), etc. Lots of reasons there good for elk.

i got a 31 but already with a 32 experience that i shoot really well kinda wondering if I should have got the 27 to complement it. 28 in dl feels a little long, looking at the 27.5 mods. might see if someone locally has a 27 and wants to trade

NE Herd Bull

Lil-Rokslider
Basically an experienced self-taught novice archer here. Hunting only. No competitive shooting. No buddies to shoot with everyday. Lots of solo practice. Lots of solo hunting . So take this humbly offered opinion with your choice of seasoning...

30 days ago, I finally decided to retire my old Hoyt Vetrix. I have a ton of confidence in this old bow, but the modern bows have improved so much in shootabilty. It was just time

Shot side by side a variety of brands, all set-up as nearly identical as the pro-shop guy could make them. (+/-15 bows. They all shot damn similar to me). Included in the line-up was Mathews 28" VXR, 27" V3 and 31" V3.

I feel that my style of hunting + my small frame lends itself to a short ATA bow. Went into the shop fully anticipating to walk out with the V3 27", but something about it just did not feel right to me. It was one of the first bows I eliminated from the dozen or so I had in front of me.

The 28" VXR (for me) shot vastly better on that day in that shop, and it came home with me. Several hundred arrows through it in the last month, and I am gaining confidence. I will never be as proficient as most of you other Rokslide contributors, but I think I will be happy.

Seems like it boils down to a matter of personal fit, feel, and functionality.

I shoot the Mathews V3 27. I am 6’. Shoot a 29” draw at 70+ lbs. I switched over from a Mathews FX2 with a much larger ATA. Let me just say…WOW. ATA length isn’t as much of factor anymore with riser being so much bigger. The stability in this bow is incredible. Yes, I do mostly tree stand hunting. But I plan to go out west elk hunting with it. I’m shooting paper plate side groups at 60 yards and I only have a 50 yard pin. With a better sight that will be much tighter. Great bow. Nothing bad to say about it. Shoots very quiet and quick.

BBob

WKR
Well thanks for the tips everyone... I shot the 27 and 31 side by side for about 30 mins and went with the 31.

28.5 draw here. I did the same and chose the 31 for some of the same reasons as well. I also shot the Ventum 30 (I preferred the Ventum 30 over the RX-5) and the V3 barely won out with small nitpicky differences. It was so close I had to mull it over for a few days. Probably would have been happy with either.