Looking at a new Bergara 6.5 creedmoor

fnf01

Lil-Rokslider
So would really like to get a new Bergara as an all around hunting rifle including mountain hunts. However my interactions with Bergara trying to simply get questions answered are causing me to question this.

What I'd like is a ~6.5lb rifle, 22in barrel, threaded as it will be used exclusively with a suppressor, 2 position safety like Bergara & Remington.

Now I understand the below rifles are all production rifles and as such have limited to no ability to be altered by Bergara, but according to Bergara they really can't be adjusted how I'd need by anyone.

Rifles that are close:

B14 timber/woodsman/hunter-All are too heavy and Bergara WILL NOT sell me the 100% carbon fiber stock they offer on the Premier Mountain rifle. I asked point blank "what if I buy the Mountain rifle drop it brake my stock can I get a replacement?" answer "all our rifles fit Remington 700 stocks" WTF? Also these all have #4 barrels Bergara says are too thin to have threaded. Anyone threaded one for 5/8-24????

Premier Mountain-Perfect weight. But its not threaded and Bergara says the #3 barrel is not able to be threaded with out chopping off way to much barrel. I'm inclined to believe them but again anyone with experience that says otherwise?

Finally the brand new Premier Highlander-The thing is its 2 inches too long (is that a deal breaker idk). Its fluted so cutting it down and rethreading is iffy at best. And its too heavy (1/2lb again deal breaker idk). Those two things together hmmm maybe definitely has me looking at other options. Again Bergara won't sell the carbon fiber stock, is the CF stock noticeably lighter then the Fiberglass on the highlander no idea but doubt they'd tell me that either.

So anyone got a rifle like what I'm looking for? Going custom is absolutely not a possibility cost wise, buying the Premier line would be a stretch honestly. Getting a barrel cut and threaded is not something I'd ever done but other threads are listing reasonable prices under $200 which is an add on I could live with. Eventually buying a CF or other ultralight stock (any suggestions welcomed) at ~$300 is also manageable.

Thoughts?

Almost sounds like you don’t really want a new Bergera 6.5 creedmoor. Just reading your list.

OP
F

fnf01

Lil-Rokslider
yep does doesn't it. But haven't found any better options yet. And hoping someone here has threaded a B14 series rifle. That or maybe a good CF stock the highlander would sit in dropping a handful of oz. and I eat the 2in of extra barrel.

Apollo117

WKR
The ideal rifle you are describing does exist. It is the Barrett Fieldcraft.

Threaded barrel. Check.
22" barrel. No. But 18" is perfect for a suppressor.
Lightweight. Check.
Carbon fiber stock. Check.
Price. Pretty close to Bergara Premier Highlander.

I've read lots of reviews saying the Barrett Fieldcraft is a great rifle. Simply put, the Fieldcraft is to weight conscious hunters as avocado toast is to hipsters.

Seriously though, this rifle checks your boxes. Barrett has great customer service too. There's a recent thread describing how Barrett pretty much gave a Rokslider a replacement rifle. Not really, but they bent over backwards to fix the rifle.

The Fieldcraft may be a bit outside your budget for now. Maybe save a bit more? Unless it's a matter of principle or something, I'd suggest saving a little more for the Fieldcraft. In the long run, the Fieldcraft will save you more than buying a rifle with a stock and barrel you don't like and have to replace anyways.

The ideal rifle you are describing does exist. It is the Barrett Fieldcraft.

Threaded barrel. Check.
22" barrel. No. But 18" is perfect for a suppressor.
Lightweight. Check.
Carbon fiber stock. Check.
Price. Pretty close to Bergara Premier Highlander.

I've read lots of reviews saying the Barrett Fieldcraft is a great rifle. Simply put, the Fieldcraft is to weight conscious hunters as avocado toast is to hipsters.

Seriously though, this rifle checks your boxes. Barrett has great customer service too. There's a recent thread describing how Barrett pretty much gave a Rokslider a replacement rifle. Not really, but they bent over backwards to fix the rifle.

The Fieldcraft may be a bit outside your budget for now. Maybe save a bit more? Unless it's a matter of principle or something, I'd suggest saving a little more for the Fieldcraft. In the long run, the Fieldcraft will save you more than buying a rifle with a stock and barrel you don't like and have to replace anyways.

Yep. I went from a B14 6.5cm to a FieldCraft in the same caliber and I am 100% happy with that decision. The FC is is every way better and comes in 6.25lbs scoped with a sling. The Bergara started at over 7 with nothing. I found mine “used” for $1375. Well worth the money imo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
F

fnf01

Lil-Rokslider
I had honestly not looked at Barretts as I figured they were well outside my price range (mistaken). Looking at second hand market they get to be muuuuuch more appealing. I'm not a huge fan of hidden magazines but thats nitpicky at this point. The weight actually seems too low at first but is growing on me thinking about adding scope, suppressor, sling. I might see about measuring a b14 as I hadn't thought of cutting down other then minimally but if the field crafts are 18in thats quite a bit on the b14. I also saw Bergara sells some threaded over in the UK (wth ship them over here)

FlyingScot

Lil-Rokslider
Nothing wrong with threading a 6.5mm bore barrel with 1/2-28 threads, then you only need a .600" diameter for a proper shoulder. As heavy as everything Bergara makes is, I'm betting they all have at least that at the muzzle.

If you're willing to look outside that brand, the Browning X-bolt HC Speed is pretty much what you described in a nutshell with a bonus cerakote finish.

A slightly more budget conscious option would be the T3x Lite and a $100 budget to have it cut down to the length you wish and threaded.

OP
F

fnf01

Lil-Rokslider
So I think I'll start my search for a Fieldcraft. Flinginairos that was a heck of deal, hopefully I can find one similarly. I think I now just need to decide between the current 18in black and stainless fieldcrafts or if I want the 22in green and cerakote black they did as there are couple retailers with them. I'm leaning to the 18in for maneuverability and I just can't seem to get behind the look of the green one (lol), not sure I'd miss the added velocity of the 22 really anyway (thoughts on that?) Really what'll most likely decide it is the deal I can find first.

Thank for the help everyone.