Looking at a new sight…..

golfbum

WKR
Picking up a new sight for a couple bows this winter.

Top two contenders are the black gold pro and spot Hogg Tommy Hogg.

Any opinions on either of these two sights?

Thanks in advance

Bump79

WKR
Black Gold is releasing their new sight today.. might as well wait and check it out

ZDR

WKR
Spot Hogg is just heavy...MBG are super well made and much lighter. But, if your still looking at options, the Axcel Landslyde is better than both imo.

OP
golfbum

golfbum

WKR
I keep reading the spot Hogg are heavy…..

From what I can find the the Tommy Hogg is 11.5oz which is the same or less then a BG pro sight? Am I missing something?

ZDR

WKR
Well, I’ve never weighed either…maybe it’s the way the weight is distributed or it’s just my perception. But I have installed/setup probably 20-30 of each and just alway think the SH is heavy.

I'm a fan of spot hogg, but I don't call them light.

Durable is the term I use, but generally on a hunting bow I like the Tommy, it seems a fair amount lighter than the father and I have enough adjustment to torque tune.

MBG and Axcel both make great sights as well, I just tend to prefer the SH for the durability.

I like how easy it is to double check your mark on a slider with MBG, I like the detents on the Axcel, I just think the SH's are the more robust sight, but they are all nice.

CCooper

WKR
I've run both the Hogg Father in a double vertical and the S&S backcountry Black Gold in a 5 pin. Both are great and durable sights. I do however prefer the visibility and placement of the sight tape on the Black Gold better.

Picking up a new sight for a couple bows this winter.

Top two contenders are the black gold pro and spot Hogg Tommy Hogg.

Any opinions on either of these two sights?

Thanks in advance
I have the Tommy, been shooting it for 4-5 years. It does Everything you need and it’s definitely durable. Plus I really like the customer service from spott Hogg. I broke something on mine by pure ignorance and they fixed it for free. Only down side I would say the loud click when locking the adjustment knob. I have never had this affect a hunt but just one of those things.

freedomhunter25

Lil-Rokslider
Im a huge fan of spot hogg. BUT!!! the new axcel landslyd is a killer set up. very well made , lots of features . Im going deep this year and getting one with a ultra view scope housing . $$$$$ but killer set up .

fatlander

WKR
Get a spot hogg Hunter with 5 or 7 pins and be done with it. It’s the best no frills hunting sight on the market.

I used to be one of the guys with a 3 or 5 pin slider that practiced at stupid distances. Honestly, I shoot better now at real hunting distances than I did when I was shooting groups out to 100 yards. Those extreme distances require you to change your anchor if you intend to center the housing in the peep, or keep your anchor while not centering the housing; either of those methods aren’t instilling repeatable shot execution that you need when the pressure is on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

N2TRKYS

WKR
I didn’t care for the Spot Hogg that I had. It was heavy, seemed cheap, pins didn’t seem as bright, and lacked a manual rheostat.

4rcgoat

WKR
Spot Hogg is just heavy...MBG are super well made and much lighter. But, if your still looking at options, the Axcel Landslyde is better than both imo.
Going to pull the trigger on that site in a couple weeks, fingers crossed, looks like a very well built unit and i like the idea of metal tapes.

I like the spot Hogg double pins. I have a Tommy hogg and fast eddie on my primary and backup. I'll take a couple extra ounces for durability and piece of mind every time. I had a black gold dial got stuck and couldn't fix it on my own, I had to send it in. It wouldn't move, maybe it was stripped? I guess if it's locked and you try to dial it, it can strip and won't move at all. The elkshape guy had his strip that way on an elk hunt video. Couldn't dial it after. Not common problem by any means but it can happen. Don't see that with spot Hogg, very tight tolerances too. for me if something fails me, I get rid of it and move on, but lots of guys love them and have had great success.