Looking at Garmin InReach Mini - Anyone used one before? Reviews?

As title says, looking to get one. Any opinions why one should or shouldn't get one? Are they reliable, battery issues, overall works good, etc.? Any competitor products that may be better? Or is Garmin the best (or only one)?

I get fairly remote in the Appalachian Mountains with no cell service. Having two small children makes me rethink how if something happened (i got injured) I'd have to sit and wait for time to pass my check-in time to my wife. So she'd hear from me before going into 'dad's missing' mode late that night.

I'm familiar with Garmin devices (used to their learning curve) as I've own a few of their devices. Thanks in Advance!

My experience is very positive. We started running the in reach a couple of years ago in Alaska, in short order the Sat Phones went to the dump. The InReach works stand alone or with your phone, the mini works well with your phone. Given our young guides don’t take a dump with out their phone, they’ve been getting the mini. Battery life is good, it’ll certainly outlast your phone. The battery life has created a minor problem in that the guys aren’t good at keeping them charged every night. we use ours primarily for tracking, a couple of up dates during the day and confirming float plane arrival.
I’m the least tecky guy who could have responded but given it wasn’t that long ago I taught young guys how to stamp out an SOS in the tundra, dang things are pretty cool.
something I always do with my clients is show them how to use it, in the event I can’t. I’m sure folks with much greater knowledge will join in.

OP
540-Virginian
My experience is very positive. We started running the in reach a couple of years ago in Alaska, in short order the Sat Phones went to the dump. The InReach works stand alone or with your phone, the mini works well with your phone. Given our young guides don’t take a dump with out their phone, they’ve been getting the mini. Battery life is good, it’ll certainly outlast your phone. The battery life has created a minor problem in that the guys aren’t good at keeping them charged every night. we use ours primarily for tracking, a couple of up dates during the day and confirming float plane arrival.
I’m the least tecky guy who could have responded but given it wasn’t that long ago I taught young guys how to stamp out an SOS in the tundra, dang things are pretty cool.
something I always do with my clients is show them how to use it, in the event I can’t. I’m sure folks with much greater knowledge will join in.

Do you need a phone to use it? Or can it be used by itself? the mini specifically. Thanks!

BBob

WKR
Do you need a phone to use it? Or can it be used by itself? the mini specifically. Thanks!
Much easier to use a phone but not required. If you want to send messages on the Mini itself it takes forever to type out, with a phone it's far easier with the Earthmate app. If you just want it for basic preset messaging and SOS you can go without the phone.

Last edited:
You definitely want to use your phone and it’s easy to setup and use.

I bought a used Mini from a guy on Bowsite. It’s actually the DeLorme version not Garmin. It works great and I was really surprised how long the battery lasts. Very happy with it.

I was talking to one of my young guides today who carries the mini, he’s 20 with great eyes and Teck savey. Said you can run with out the phone but it’s I real pain. He deer hunted with us in hells canyon this year went four or five days with out charging and sent lots of messages to his girlfriend. Your phone does not need service to work with the either in Reach. The phone is simply a key board and a screen. We figured out in Alaska since we’re 300 miles from cell service to keep the phone on airplane mode. Works fine with in reach and really saves on battery.
great piece of safety equipment. Good luck

GrayGoose

Lil-Rokslider
Zoleo would be another brand to check out. I have no personal experience with it but have seen it advertised.
If you search the forums you'll find alot of threads that will answer your questions for the mini as well as the zoleo.

Fatcamp

WKR
So the Inreach connects via Bluetooth with your phone? The mini specifically but I suppose both are the same.

Montero

Lil-Rokslider
I like mine and so does my wife. Helps us keep in touch and she can track me while I'm in the woods hunting , fishing and mountain biking. Battery lasts a long time. The subscription is nice so you don't have to pay if you do not use it.

Highhuntin

Lil-Rokslider
Got the mini last year and really like it, the “free” preset messages are customizable and helpful to check in, bought it at Costco on sale and well worth the price , got the freedom plan and will re activate when heading out again

Rokwiia

WKR
I've had a personal locator beacon (PLB) for years but got a Mini last year. Both have their advantages as the Mini is able to contact people to either alert them everything is "ok" or to notify them of the nature of the problem. It is interactive.

I believe the PLB is better at getting the cavalry started but they won't know the nature of your problem. Heart attack, venomous snake bite, broken leg, deep cut with bleeding, etc.

I programmed in several custom quick messages on the Mini for situations that might occur so that in a real emergency I don't have to type it out especially if I may not be in the best shape to do so. I'd also consider getting a PLB.

This guy does an excellent job in this video regarding the Mini:

Here he also discusses a PLB and how it compares with the Mini. He also carries both a Mini and a PLB:

MTN BUM

Lil-Rokslider
I have had both the SE and now the mini. Both work well. I will say, based on my experience at least, that the SE acquires a signal more quickly and transmits messages more quickly/reliably. The mini seems to need a better sky view. But, at half the size your own situation would dictate which works better for you.

hikenhunt

WKR
I've had a good experience with the mini over the last 2-3 years. I use the minimal freedom plan and rely on the unlimited preset messages to check-in with home every couple hours. It's very affordable, considering the service, when you think about it.

Highhuntin

Lil-Rokslider
As someone said above the mini (at least my experience) yes it can take a while to send or receive messages

Elkivory2

FNG
Thanks for the great info! My son and I are planning a trip into the Bob Marshal Wilderness area in June. I will be taking one of those options with me just in case..

Ron.C

Lil-Rokslider
I just finished my first year with the mini. Really liked it, zero complaints. Paired it with my cell phone for a little easier use when messaging.

Trying to get my hunting partner to buy one now. Would be great to have 2 way comms between us when we are not in cell range (which is quite often).

I’ve been looking at getting a sat communicator as well. Had my eye on the inreach but thinking now I’m going with the zoleo. Sounds like they work about the same as far as reliability and sending messages. (Work off the same sat network) but heard the messaging is a bit more streamlined with the zoleo. You have a separate phone number and it will switch between data service when available and back to sat with no service.
Have not put them to the test yet but that’s the route I think I’m going now.

I use the mini and Explorer for work in the backcountry and own my own Explorer. I chose the Explorer because I can use the map as a backup if my phone fails, but they both work great. I've used it on solo recreational trips, like backcountry mulie hunts and summer fly fishing trips to alpine lakes and also for work when conducted dangerous operations in the backcountry, like anesthetizing cervids for research, where things can go wrong and you want multiple forms of communication with flight for life, for example, if needed. Every once in a while, in dense forest, transmission is delayed, but they have never failed to transmit.