Looking at Garmin InReach Mini - Anyone used one before? Reviews?

mxgust

Lil-Rokslider
I have nothing but good things to say about my Inreach mini. I’ve had mine since 2018 and I love it. I pair it with my phone, great added safety net for when I hunt alone which is often. Saved my butt this year when the alternator in my truck died on the mountain. Sometimes it is slow sending and receiving messages, especially if I leave it in my pocket or in the tent overnight but works great with a clear view of the sky. I’ve never used any other brand so I can’t compare but it’s one of my favorite things I’ve bought and I’m getting to the point where I always have it with me no matter what

Wassid82

WKR
I picked one up this year and really liked it. A few years ago my wife and I had different understandings of when I would be home......let me save you the trouble and cost of a divorce... a search party was called and I was found on the mountain in an upright position. However after the ass chewing I took on the side of the mountain and pain and suffering of the following year.. $350 is a steal. At confession I can say a couple of Hail Marys and I think my soul is good. My hunting Buddys now only refer to the situation and the pin drop on the map as the "incident". Learn from my mistake. I have and barely survived. But Now I send a message home every night. Its light easy and cheaper than a divorce.

ttmannan

Lil-Rokslider
My wife bought me one on Black Friday a couple years back. I use it in Mexico annually and I used it when I am on Lake Powell with no signal.

I use the Freedom Expedition plan and turn it on for 30 days at a time for those trips. It gives peace of mind, allows me to communicate with my wife (Poor @Wasdensid82 !) and, if, God forbid, something happens, I have the SOS button to hit.

I have the mini and I use it with my cell phone via bluetooth.

slim9300

WKR
I picked one up this year and really liked it. A few years ago my wife and I had different understandings of when I would be home......let me save you the trouble and cost of a divorce... a search party was called and I was found on the mountain in an upright position. However after the ass chewing I took on the side of the mountain and pain and suffering of the following year.. $350 is a steal. At confession I can say a couple of Hail Marys and I think my soul is good. My hunting Buddys now only refer to the situation and the pin drop on the map as the "incident". Learn from my mistake. I have and barely survived. But Now I send a message home every night. Its light easy and cheaper than a divorce.

Poor fella. That sounds brutal. When I don’t send out a message on the Inreach my wife just figures something is dead or I got in real late. It’s crazy how soft we have all become with technology. Only 10 years ago I would go 10 days without a single message to anyone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dla

WKR
I was a 12 year SPOT user that switched to an Inreach mini a year ago. I switched because SPOT pissed me off.
I bought the recreation plan because (a) I'm a firm believer in Tracking, and (b) I thought I would need 40 text messages a month.

Technical note: you can ping a mini from the user's webpage to locate the user. This only works from the webpage and not device to device.

After 1 year of use, I've only messaged mini to mini a couple of times - that feature is nice. I've learned how to check messages before sending so as to avoid confusion caused by the builtin 1hr message check delay. My wife still just wants to get an "I'm ok" message, even though she can text me. She never checks the share page. I wouldn't bother carrying my cell phone if it weren't for OnX. I've put enough preset messages in my mini to enable a robust conversation.

I turn the mini on and enable 20 min interval tracking and leave it on till the day is done. I can get 3 days that way - which is a great plenty at my stage in life.

I've not noticed many missed track points, but then who cares with continuous tracking.

So I wish they offered a plan with unlimited Tracking and a dozen messages - just for me. I like the annual plans because I carry the Mini with me fishing, hunting, and wandering here in Idaho. Peace of mind for my wife and family (I'm a geezer - kids are grown).

Some bathroom reading material: https://sites.google.com/site/hobbyhintstricksideas/Home/spot-messenger-information

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
three years now, had a "regular" inReach before that and before that- a SPOT

love the Mini- so far knock on wood it's been flawless

several backcountry trips where I had to adjust my finish and was able to communicate with my wife where and when to pick me up, and also provide details on how to get there

you definitely want it blue toothed to you cell phone to ease texting, makes it very easy

I have run them in the past and set up accounts....which was very challenging with multiple employees and one subscription. But the GOV was paying the bill.

Can anyone chime in on the No Bullshit cost associated after pulling one out of the box and wanting to use it? I swear it was $259 to activate and turn a unit on??? Then you can choose which package or plan you would like to utilize....and possibly modify/move within the series of plans.

ttmannan

Lil-Rokslider
I have run them in the past and set up accounts....which was very challenging with multiple employees and one subscription. But the GOV was paying the bill.

Can anyone chime in on the No Bullshit cost associated after pulling one out of the box and wanting to use it? I swear it was $259 to activate and turn a unit on??? Then you can choose which package or plan you would like to utilize....and possibly modify/move within the series of plans.
Completely depends on which plan you want https://discover.garmin.com/en-US/inreach/personal/
I run Freedom Plan (means I can turn it on and off all year long for minimum 30 day intervals) with a variety of levels of messages and tracking. The REI link below has a breakdown of fees. Note -
Annual plans require a 12-month contract. There is a one-time $19.95 subscription activation fee. Moving up a plan is free, and moving down a plan incurs a $24.95 fee. (not $259)

I read through the terms or at least some of the plans after I read this thread this AM. That is how I interpreted the info.....$20 to activate the unit on an annual plan (not Freedom....I'll use mine nearly every day-all year) and my monthly usage of $12 per month.

Nothing hidden beyond that?

ttmannan

Lil-Rokslider
I read through the terms or at least some of the plans after I read this thread this AM. That is how I interpreted the info.....$20 to activate the unit on an annual plan (not Freedom....I'll use mine nearly every day-all year) and my monthly usage of $12 per month.

Nothing hidden beyond that?
Nothing hidden beyond that except taxes and fees - copied form my current invoice.
Summary of Current ChargesCharges for Services$64.95
Subtotal$64.95
Fed USF Cellular$3.15
Sales Tax$4.38
Telecom Relay Surcharge IP CTS (Cellular)$0.11T
otal New Charges$72.59T
otal Due$72.59

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I use mine year round, so opted for their cheapest monthly plan (I think it's $12/month)- very occasionally I'll go over a little on their maximum text and pay a few dollars extra.

jmart33

FNG
As title says, looking to get one. Any opinions why one should or shouldn't get one? Are they reliable, battery issues, overall works good, etc.? Any competitor products that may be better? Or is Garmin the best (or only one)?

I get fairly remote in the Appalachian Mountains with no cell service. Having two small children makes me rethink how if something happened (i got injured) I'd have to sit and wait for time to pass my check-in time to my wife. So she'd hear from me before going into 'dad's missing' mode late that night.

I'm familiar with Garmin devices (used to their learning curve) as I've own a few of their devices. Thanks in Advance!
I would recommend it without a doubt. Small enough where it just stays on my bino harness 24/7 unless it’s getting charged. Easy to use through the phone app. Use it pretty constantly during hunting season. The peace of mind is great to have. Only downside I would mention is the subscription is a bit pricey depending on plan.

slim9300

WKR
I will also add that I came from using a Spot for about a decade before making the switch to the InReach Mini. The InReach is a far superior system for too many reasons to list.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Beckjhong

WKR
I love mine. Similar to other posts. I recently lost it (and it was found/returned!) for about 2.5 weeks. It was charged but off, and had 96% battery life left when I turned it on after sitting outside that whole time.

My hot tips are:
-make sure it’s secured. I had it hanging from my bino harness with the included carabiner, and it fell off and was not noticed by me. Highly recommend a locking carabiner, dummy cord and/or zippered pouch.

-the battery life is great. I recommend leaving it on. If you do lose it and it is on, when you’re back in cell service you can ping it from garmin’s website and get its location (similar to the Apple find my phone feature)

Last edited:

parkerpr

FNG
I bought one recently to use for SCUBA and marine "just in case." I have the 66i now and love it. Have been using them since the Delorme InReach days as well. For solo hunting, wouldn't go without it.

Specifically on the Mini, it's perfect for what it's designed to do. Small, compact emergency beacon and two-way communicator.

ZDR

WKR
Got a mini for Christmas and after one month, it is a keeper. Have the safety plan and really like the fact I can change my plans when out snowshoeing etc and let me wife know I will be late. The interface with earthmate is slick and easy to use. I just need to spend more time with it learning all the capability it has. Definitely worth the $$$.

Logestagg

FNG
How about sending a link to family so they can track on map and require less messaging? Has that worked well? Just gone a mini and will be using this year.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
works fine, but eats more battery and depending on your plan more $ likely