Looking at getting a bigger tent..which way to go?

Luked

WKR
I'm looking at next year to get a bigger tent for more of a base camp setup at rhe trailhead.
Looking for room for at least 3 guys and a stove.
Havw been looking at something like a teepee but just never had anything like that.
I know some of the outfitter tents like Davis and MO tana canvas are good. But want something a little lighter in weight and not a bulky.
What tents havw you all used and like for something like that.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

hunting1

WKR

A solid option!

sneaky

"DADDY"
Flex bow 10x14 or Springbar in the same size. Kodiak canvas also makes a 12x12 tent with a stove jack as well. Lots of options for a base camp tent. Flex bow goes up in less than 5min and breathes better than the Alaknak material.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

OP
Luked

Luked

WKR
I had an Alkanak. Brother both have one. But looking more towards something lighter in weight and takes up less space.
I think it was the Seek Outsode 8 man teepee that weighed like 7lbs or something. That's kind of more of what I am looking for.

I'm looking at next year to get a bigger tent for more of a base camp setup at rhe trailhead.
Looking for room for at least 3 guys and a stove.
Havw been looking at something like a teepee but just never had anything like that.
I know some of the outfitter tents like Davis and MO tana canvas are good. But want something a little lighter in weight and not a bulky.
What tents havw you all used and like for something like that.

I have the SO redcliff and love it so far. You could do three guys and a stove. An 8 or 12 man tipi would be more comfortable…

hunt1up

WKR
I'd go 12 man if you go tipi. We had a 6 man and 3 dudes will fit in there but no stove and you're cramped. 12 man gives everyone a "corner" and the stove is in the middle. You can stand up well in it, where in the smaller ones you can only stand right in the center, which then isn't possible with a stove.

Our 12 man SO tipi has been on several trips in varying conditions and has done great. And you can fit it under the back seat of your truck.

rayporter

WKR
an 8 man will do but after a while you will feel cramped with 3 in it. a 12 is better. i sold 2 differnt 8 man tipis because of this. now i use a 6 man for 2 and a 12 man for 3. the 12 is very versatile. no worry with 3 or 4 when you run the stove and with a liner it makes a great base camp. you can carry it on your back if necessary.

For truck camping I would give the Kodiak Canvas 12x12 cabin tent a serious look. You get all the benefits of a canvas tent in a significantly compace package (compared to a packers tent and frame) with a built in stove jack and the optional poarch. It's not close to 7 pounds, but you won't have any condensation worries even if dunning propane heat.

For truck camping I would give the Kodiak Canvas 12x12 cabin tent a serious look. You get all the benefits of a canvas tent in a significantly compace package (compared to a packers tent and frame) with a built in stove jack and the optional poarch. It's not close to 7 pounds, but you won't have any condensation worries even if dunning propane heat.

Good tent.

I have an AO10 with vestibule and thinking about picking up one of these just for fly out hunts to save 40 lbs or so on the 10. One con is you lose the vestibule but it is what it is. Air Frames Alaska had all their tents set up at their open house this spring and the way the Nunatak is built, you don't lose several feet on each wall like a regular tipi. The dimensions listed are all usable space, where as a tipi you subtract a couple feet from each wall to find your usable space.

We use a SO 8 man for 3 people as a basecamp shelter as well as back country palace with a stove. At the trucks, it’s a good spot to sleep while hanging outside a lot of the time. In the mountains, the 8 man has plenty of room for 3 and gear to relax and stay warm.

11boo

WKR
I had an Alkanak. Brother both have one. But looking more towards something lighter in weight and takes up less space.
I think it was the Seek Outsode 8 man teepee that weighed like 7lbs or something. That's kind of more of what I am looking for.

I have that seek. Packs up tiny and is a good tent. I did not think about how little room there would be for standing. Huge footprint at 16’ too. 2 guys, stove and cots pretty much filled it up. I’m taking my 10x12 wall tent this year.

Seek has that courthouse tent too. Wall type tent and light.

17930129-FBE2-4A71-86E6-F13D6B138026.jpeg

Superdoo

WKR
I just got a 5 meter bell tent. It should arrive next week.
A 16.5 foot diameter may not be the greatest for easily finding a spot to pitch on in the mountains, but the shape and ease of setup had me intrigued enough to try it out.
1658501317966.png

bracer40

Lil-Rokslider
You stated that you wanted to fit 3 guys AND a stove. That rules out the Kodiak/Springbar options. ( I have a 10x14 and it’s perfect for two with no stove, could “squeeze three in if necessary but it would be tight). If you went the tipi route and were using it during later, colder weather, you would need a non-collapsible stove unless you want to get up every two hours to feed it small diameter wood. Also consider how large the footprint is for the tipi style shelters that will accommodate three and a stove. I’d be looking at a wall tent if it were me and I planned to hunt later seasons in cold weather.

11boo

WKR
What I use is directly proportional to how long I'm going to be living in it. For anything more than 2 days, I want my wall tent. That's why I only spike out for a day or two at a time if needed. Then back to comfort and real sleep.
Hear him now, believe him later. Like when you are tired of only having a tiny area to stand up in a 16’ tipi.

jltroberg

FNG
I'm trying to do the same thing only I also want it to work for hiking in. I ordered the SO Redcliff, it's home now. I'm away working, cant wait to set it up and test it out. I love the large canvas tents though.