Looking at getting into bow hunting

I have been wanting to get into bow hunting .... I have hunted muzzleloader and rifle season before here in md, I plan on hunting out of a climber stand for the most part and then some in a blind, I was wanting to get a recurve bow ... my question is what bow would you suggest under $500 and what arrows/ broadheads would you suggest .... not planning on hunting with it this year as I want a good amount practice before hand

JW7

FNG
I’m in MD also. I mainly bow hunt. I agree with OP, search around and you’ll find good info. I’m not a traditional archer, so only compounds for me. I’ve owned Hoyts, Mathews, and Bowtech. I think you should consider a compound also. There are great compounds under that $500 mark as well. I bought my son a mission bow for $250, and now I use it over my bowtech. Just my .02

OP
Joshuajosh
I’m in MD also. I mainly bow hunt. I agree with OP, search around and you’ll find good info. I’m not a traditional archer, so only compounds for me. I’ve owned Hoyts, Mathews, and Bowtech. I think you should consider a compound also. There are great compounds under that $500 mark as well. I bought my son a mission bow for $250, and now I use it over my bowtech. Just my .02
I’m considering going compound as well as I’ve heard it’s easier and I used to have one when I was younger ... any recommendations around that price range ?

JW7

FNG
Compounds are relatively easier. I’d recommend Mission Archery. They are well under your $500, and very user friendly and forgiving. I have a $1000 Bowtech and a $250 Mission, and I enjoy the Mission just as much. It’s not as nice as the Bowtech, but it’s as forgiving if not more so. I would strongly suggest you get a bow with a brace height of 7” or more, especially to begin. I think Mission has a bow with a 7” brace height, and it’s very user adjustable so you don’t have to take it to a shop to get it tweaked to your liking. It also won’t crush your wallet.

oldgoat

WKR
If you're going the compound route, wait till the new year models are released, you can buy a less than year old used one for fraction of the price. If you go trad, but a super cheap low draw weight bow and get your form down, find some lessons, practice this year, then next year go to one of the big trad shoots out there and shoot some bows, probably some better quality used ones for sale, you can generally pick up used for around 60% the cost of new, that's about all I buy is used bows!

If you want to go the recurve route, a Galaxy (formerly Samick) Sage and Fleetwood Edge are good entry level options (sub-$200). Add a stringer, glove/tab, half dozen arrows, maybe a cheap rest and you're ready to start shooting at under $300 total. Don't worry about broadheads yet if you're not planning to hunt until next year. Start with very light limbs (20-30 lbs) and swap them out for heavier ones as you progress. Both of the aforementioned models are perfectly serviceable for hunting, but if you later decide you want to upgrade, you can resell your starter rig to another newbie and recoup most of your money.

Last edited:
All good advice here, I would just add that if you’re on the fence between recurve and compound, ask yourself how much you’re willing to practice. You can get away with shooting a compound A LOT less than a recurve. I have to practice nearly every day with my recurve, but could shoot my compound once a week and still be solid. If you’re busy with young kids, a job that involves a lot of travel, or a bunch of other hobbies, a compound might be a better option. That being said I prefer the recurve.

Foggy Mountain

Lil-Rokslider
All good advice here, I would just add that if you’re on the fence between recurve and compound, ask yourself how much you’re willing to practice. You can get away with shooting a compound A LOT less than a recurve. I have to practice nearly every day with my recurve, but could shoot my compound once a week and still be solid. If you’re busy with young kids, a job that involves a lot of travel, or a bunch of other hobbies, a compound might be a better option. That being said I prefer the recurve.
Styk bows become more of a way of life. I actually don’t consider it practice. Just what I like to do but you bring up a good point however if the op is waiting a year to hunt and is gonna gap, walk, or crawl it’s the same as using a sight pin on a compound. just the degree changes. Much more difficult but a year is a bunch of time to be ready.
Good advice though

MCR

FNG
If I were you I would buy a Samick Sage. You can get them for under $150. They are 62" long so it will be more forgiving than the 56" bow in your picture. I would buy 40# and learn good form. After a year or so you can decide if you want to upgrade or not. If so you will not lose much when selling that bow.

I have been wanting to get into bow hunting .... I have hunted muzzleloader and rifle season before here in md, I plan on hunting out of a climber stand for the most part and then some in a blind, I was wanting to get a recurve bow ... my question is what bow would you suggest under $500 and what arrows/ broadheads would you suggest .... not planning on hunting with it this year as I want a good amount practice before hand
Listen to the latest kifarucast with Cody Greenwood. They talk all about beginner bows, best bows, and best for the buck.

Bowhunting and Trad may be mutually exclusive in the near term. If you want to hunt, go get a compound now - you could deer hunt this year. And as others have said, go buy a cheap, low draw weight recurve and get your form down. Maybe hunt with it next year.

Foggy Mountain

Lil-Rokslider
I’d not advise hunting w anything this year. The animals deserve our being ready. Going from nothing to hunting is about impossible unless you really limited yourself. Hunting season in some states already started, others real soon. Learning just form without an instructor might be tough. Don’t push yourself

Last edited:
Where are you located?

Nova has some pretty good clubs you could go to. Meet people, and learn.

If in western md several in that area too.

I'm not certain as you get closer to the Delmarva but I'm certain you can find some clubs out that way as well.

Need to decide ultimately what your goal is, if only to extend your hunting season, likely just get a compound.
If you want another hobby, stick bow.

View attachment 315458I have this old bow I found in my uncles basement but don’t know much about it... or if it’s any good
Find a local archery shop that knows tradbows and have them check it for you. The limbs might not be straight and if it hasn't been shot in eons it would be best to have someone very experienced look that bow over. That all being said 45# bow like that would be great to start with if you can pull it easily. That looks like it would be a 45# recurve from the width of the limbs so a great starter bow...if it is safe and you can pull that weight comfortably. Maybe google for archery clubs in your area and that way find a person with experience that can look at your old bow. Those old bows are sometimes still in great shape and are a hoot.

KRA-Z

FNG
I have hunted recurve, still have a couple I shoot for fun, and would hunt if I had to... I’ve gone through many compound bows until I found one I liked... there are so many opinions, but it all comes down to what is comfortable for you...
as far as arrow/broadhead combos... again there are too many variables to give a comprehensive answer.

you need to find a way to just start shooting different combos, find the heaviest recurve you can hold, be honest with yourself, and can accurately put the arrow... same with compound, once you find that weight, then you can deal with what set ups, the possibilities are endless, you might only be able to pullback and hold 50lbs on a compound but then you can get some aggressive cams to keep a heavier arrow/head combo for good speed and KE....

Good luck... I will tell you I have at least a dozen compounds and I like each and every one for their own reason... they have an order from my least favorite to my favorite...