Looking at Sitka gear what should I get?

Jax Weber

FNG
I have been looking at getting a Sitka jacket for hunting. I am hunting in the Midwest and want a jacket that can be used in the early season all the way to December. I usually don't wear camo but I have been looking at getting a jacket that goes with a pair of scent lock pants I just purchased. I don't know much about Sitka gear so I was hoping you guys could help me out.

There's nothing wrong with maxing out versatility in your gear, especially at the price tag sitka comes. I've tried it as well myself and the one thing I learned is that when I try to ask to much out of my clothes and gear I ended up with stuff that was just OK in most scenarios but never great, IE too warm when you don't need it to be and not warm enough when you do. Theres nothing wrong with getting an anchor piece and build around it over time too

You could go the soft shell route (Jetstream or stratus) but you'll still need a puffy or insulating layer. Their soft shells are typically more athletic cut which means there isn't a ton of room to layer underneath too, and can compress and degrade the insulation.

But these would be my recommendations: softshell + puffy, or heavy insulated coat (fanatic) + heavy midlayer shirt (heavyweight zip or fanatic hoody)

jd1006

WKR
The most versatile jacket in their system for what you are discussing is the Stratus Jacket. I believe its only offered in elevated or blaze orange, but it stops the wind and with the right layers beneath it, it will work for late season. The fanatic is the other option, but that is insulated and would be warm in september.

When I was bow hunting/shotgun hunting white tails, I had this for my system:

Sitka Core lightweight hoody
Sitka Core baselayer
Sitka Merino Boxers
Sitka Stratus Bibs
Sitka Stratus Jacket
Midlayer was the Sitka Traverse Top
I had a random puffy jacket that I put under the Jacket if the temps went below 30-40 degrees.
I added a pair of Sitka Incinerator Bibs for late season, but I think I could have just got some puffy layer pants and put them under the Stratus Bibs.

Last edited:

H80Hunter

WKR
If budget is a concern I’d sacrifice the early season portion. Stratus is a great choice with the right layering, but “the right layering” to get that into December isn’t cheap either…

For my money, if I had to start over I’d get the fanatic set and build around it and cobble something together for when that was too warm.

There is no jacket that will go early season to December of any kind.
Stratus is a good choice until temps hit twenties/ thirties. Then you need either fanatic vest over it or the full fanatic jacket.
I started with the fanatic because you can always be too warm and still hunt.
Later I got the Stratus.

Stratus jacket with a light base layer is perfect for cool early season mornings. But as everyone has mentioned you will want a heavier base layer and a puffy or insulated jacket underneath the stratus jacket to get you down into the 30’s. I have gotten down into the mid 20’s before with only
first lite merino wick base layer
Fanatic hoody
Fanatic jacket
It just depends how much you want to spend.

Hondo

WKR
Yep, I'm only good with the Status jacket down to about freezing with good layering and light wind. It's a great piece and is cut well for layering but it's sweet spot for me is about 35-50.

roborob

FNG
I feel like if you want a jacket that versatile it has to be fairly light and then you add layers to it. Otherwise you're going to get something that is way too hot for early season and too light for late season. Also depends on how you're hunting. I like my kelvin active jacket with more or fewer layers depending on the temps but I also do a lot of hiking during my hunts. If you're hanging out in a blind or stand I would probably go for something a little warmer.

scfreeman66

Lil-Rokslider
Jetstream 100%
I wear mine constantly. Its comfortable. It's mildly water proof. It's slightly insulated. It dumps heat with the pit zips. It has an awesome hood. It's quiet enough. I'll add a thick hoody under mine to get me into the 20s. I can't think of a better jacket and I've owned most of them...

Sent from my N1374DL using Tapatalk

quaggy25

Lil-Rokslider
Preface: I’m not saying don’t buy Sitka. Do it. It’s great stuff.

But I have to ask when someone says “I’m looking to buy Sitka”. Why? Great name recognition for sure. But the real question you should be asking is what works for my hunting environment. There are quite a few quality brands out there(and those who get by with much less). Sitka may be right but definitely take into account what others have to offer depending on your hunt.

Beagle1

Lil-Rokslider
Stratus jacket and bibs are great pieces when used in the temperature range they are meant for. If you try and use them into December by buying them one or two sizes larger and loading up with under layers you will be disappointed. Buy the Fanatic set for your colder weather hunts. In the long run you might be out a bit more money but you’ll be much more comfortable and enjoy your hunts more.