Looking down the road to retirement and limited tags!

vcb

WKR
Ok, so we are all getting older and every year I put in for "all" of the tags here in CO. Its like $1,000.00 bucks but it almost all comes back after you dont draw shiras, sheep, mountain goat, top elk unit etc...

I am looking down the road. In like 20yrs some of those coveted tags should come up and that is when hopefully I will be retired. I thought maybe I should be putting in for Arizona, New mexico, Wyoming, Montana etc...now! Otherwise one day im gonna turn 60 and wishing I had put in

Anybody else doing the same? If so what states?

littlebuf

Banned
by then guns/bows/muzzle loaders and knives will be illegal, and hunting will probably be punishable by public excauation. plus with obama care youll probably be youthanized by the age of 60 any way, so i wouldnt worry to much about it. just keep sending the state money for wolves.

kickemall

WKR
Yes, you should be putting in for them if you have the time and money and it doesn't sacrifice your family. Life can pass you by faster than you can imagine. You have no idea what the future holds, how your health will be, what the laws will be, none of it. Do it now or regret not doing it later.

Dave

Craig4791

WKR
Last year I put in for a few states but starting this year I am putting in for all species in every western state. It's expensive no doubt but I am looking into the future and I think ill be kicking myself in 15-20 years if I don't start now.

I think if its what you love and you can afford it then go for it!

blb078

WKR
I'm in the same situation, this is my first year starting out and I'm in my mid 30s. So I'm looking at 55ish before I even have a chance, that's assuming there is no point creep, which is wishfull thinking, so I'm really looking at 60-70 before I have a realistic chance. Hopefully I make it that long(and a lot more lol) but I figured I'll stick to just AZ for all species and maybe one other state(MT or WY probably), then I can always put in for NM which has no points and I think ID also has that for their once in a lifetime tags. Also I'm looking at NH, ME, VT for moose since you can buy just a point for $15-25 with no other fees. I also figured for a NR like me who can very likely have 10k in fees invested in all the states for these once in a lifetime tags over 20 years that I might as well look into going on a guided hunt at $20k sooner rather than waiting 20+ years, and still possibly not even get picked.

Floorguy

WKR
Threads like this make me glad I live where I do, I don't understand all the bonus points, preference points etc. I just pay my $5 per tag and hope and then plan on hunting the same species somewhere else if I don't get picked.

wapitibob

WKR
I'll draw WY and AZ in the next cpl years then it's late season in AZ and GEN for Wyoming. If I was young, I would do just that, never having over 5 points in AZ and hunting every year in WY.