Looking for 600 yard deer/elk rifle. Recommendations?

A 3006 with a 168-180ish bullet will kill stuff all day long inside 600.

A magnum just flattens the curve and adds recoil and energy. More energy is unnecessary to kill. People may "feel better" but truth is they don't need it and the added recoil makes them worse shooters. I use a brake and ear pro with my magnum.

A 270 flattens the curve over a 3006 by using a lighter bulllet, but loses energy. It will still kill a bull hit in the lungs. Inside 600 it will do more than a 147 at 900... its enough for a marksman.

A 280 Ackley is the best of both worlds in a long action non magnum. Shoots a 168-180 at 270 speeds. You get flat and energy.

7 rem mag or 7 saum get you high magnum performance with a 168 to 180. More than enough for your needs. A 300 mag needs a 230 to match them ballistically but you don't need the extra energy, IMO.

For long range, having a flatter shooting cartridge is an accuracy advantage for wind and for distance errors. The real trade off is with recoil.
I have to agree here and frankly the Savage Ultralight in .280 AI would be the rifle I'd buy again if it were available when I was looking for an elk rifle. Actually, for handloaders the .280 AI is a great all-around cartridge.

There isn’t much in NA that will stand up to an 180-200gr .30 cal bullet launched at 2800-3100 FPS ish. My 300 wsm weighs a little over 8.5#’s and is easy on recoil .

i’m also a 7mm fan and this is a pair of 180 eld-m’s launched at 3035fps from my 7 wsm and recovered from a very nice buck shot at 835 yds IIRC. He didn’t need the second but was on his feet after the first hit so I bonus balled him and down he went.E74727BA-5CDA-46FD-98C7-0272C467D6DD.jpeg

Last edited:
I have had great results on elk with factory 180 partition loads in a 300WSM. It’s a little heavy on recoil for me. I also have a 6.5 SAUM and big bulls seem to stay on their feet a bit longer in my limited experience 2 bulls. I decided to build a 7 SAUM on a Tikka action. On a side note I’m dropping this rig in a Mesa and really like that stock.
If I were not going to hand load a tikka 300WSM is pretty though to beat for the money. Good luck

There isn’t much in NA that will stand up to an 180-200gr .30 cal bullet launched at 2800-3100 FPS ish. My 300 wsm weighs a little over 8.5#’s and is easy on recoil .

i’m also a 7mm fan and this is a pair of 180 eld-m’s launched at 3035fps from my 7 wsm and recovered from a very nice buck shot at 835 yds IIRC. He didn’t need the second but was on his feet after the first hit so I bonus balled him and down he went.View attachment 243825
I like that - bonus balled him. Most people seem upset needing a second round, but your on to something here.

JohnIrish

FNG
I shot some of the Nosler Trophy Grade ammo to break in the barrel, 168 grain accubonds. I shoot and hunt just about every day and have for a long time. Owning property has some perks.

200 yards and 6 shots after getting on paper. This was probably in the first 20 shots or so through the barrel. That’s less than an inch on the longest diagonal.
View attachment 241839

I’m not a “group” shooter. I have steel targets out to 1,200 yards here at home. I regularly verify my rifles on the gongs but mainly I just hunt with them. Coyotes, rabbits, and squirrels are all no limit no season. If I’m hitting those animals at yardages it translates to really good hits on the bigger animals.
Nice Group! But please.... sharpen that knife! It hurts my eyes to l
Even look at it!