looking for a 2 man ultra lite tent, ideas/suggestions?

broncoformudv

Lil-Rokslider
Damn, that Echo tarp would need to come with an elk tag. That is expensive. I would go with a Mega Tarp.

It is not my cup of tea but if you want light weight it is one way to go.

It comes in weighing less than the Mega Tarp with annex does plus you get the floor and bug netting. Price wise it is not much more than a Mega Tarp and Annex cost you.

OP
sk1

sk1

WKR
No joke. Just bite the bullet and go floorless with a UL bivy. That's what I did a couple weeks back. I have always sworn by my Hilleberg Nallo GT4 and its been great, but I just got sick of packing it around. :)

4c1cbaef-e9d4-dff4.jpg

what UL bivy did you go with?

yeah that echo doesn't quite look like it's for me....i want the megatarp but need to convince myself still

JG358

WKR
what UL bivy did you go with?

yeah that echo doesn't quite look like it's for me....i want the megatarp but need to convince myself still

Im pretty sure Slim posted somewhere that both he and his hunting buddy got Ti Goat Ravens.

Last edited:
OP
sk1

sk1

WKR
im getting more and more tempted to go with the megatarp

edit: does kifaru realize they have the most poorly organized website in history? you can never find anything you're looking for, it's just plain terrible and that's being nice.....if they didnt have awesome products, i wouldnt even waste my time browsing it (sorry the inner computer nerd in me is coming out)

yet another thought going floorless, do i now need to carry a pad for under my exped ul 7? I would sure think it would pop without one, unless tyvek is the way to go....i keep adding up more weight with other things to get to a floorless shelter

Last edited:

slim9300

WKR
im getting more and more tempted to go with the megatarp

edit: does kifaru realize they have the most poorly organized website in history? you can never find anything you're looking for, it's just plain terrible and that's being nice.....if they didnt have awesome products, i wouldnt even waste my time browsing it (sorry the inner computer nerd in me is coming out)

yet another thought going floorless, do i now need to carry a pad for under my exped ul 7? I would sure think it would pop without one, unless tyvek is the way to go....i keep adding up more weight with other things to get to a floorless shelter

I have the UL7 too. That's the reason for the UL bivy. The Raven is easily large enough to fit your pad, bag and yourself inside with room to spare. Plus, the bivy protects your down bag from condensation or you from bugs/snakes if that's a worry of yours. I'm more worried about my pad and expensive bag, hence my reasoning for buying the bivy.

OP
sk1

sk1

WKR
ah thanks, i didnt think about the UL7 fitting inside the bivy, hey on a side note, mine is a long/wide, as well as the long bag, will that fit you think?

this site has taken years off my backpacking learning curve, love it.....thanks for the advice

Solitude

WKR
Run the BA Copper Spur UL and have zero complaints. Has withstood very brutal storms/downpours/wind, but I have not tested it in late season snow storms.

slim9300

WKR
ah thanks, i didnt think about the UL7 fitting inside the bivy, hey on a side note, mine is a long/wide, as well as the long bag, will that fit you think?

this site has taken years off my backpacking learning curve, love it.....thanks for the advice

I have the same UL7 pad for the record. Actually I have both the L and M.

broncoformudv

Lil-Rokslider
So let me get this straight you guys are packing around a tarp of some sort, two sleeping pads, and a bivy? You might as well just carry a tent and be done with it, it would way less and be easier to pack around.

OP
sk1

sk1

WKR
So let me get this straight you guys are packing around a tarp of some sort, two sleeping pads, and a bivy? You might as well just carry a tent and be done with it, it would way less and be easier to pack around.

unless i missed it, a bivy, one sleeping pad, and a tarp

this year i carried the sl3 (complete setup with floor/nest) and sleeping pad.

the megatarp and a 9oz bivy with stakes will still be 2lbs less than my golite setup......starting to sound pretty good to me

the one sleeping pad is mute, because i was taking that with my tent as it was

slim9300

WKR

No. One 8.6 ounce bivy, one pad and a tarp. And the MegaTarp is for two guys on my hunts (with TONS of room to spare). Since my partner takes my bivy and the tarp stakes to split the load, my entire sleep system comes in at around 5.1 lbs. (Marmot Helium, Exped UL 7 M w/ seam sealer lines for traction and MegaTarp with guylines)

OP
sk1

sk1

WKR
No. One 8.6 ounce bivy, one pad and a tarp. And the MegaTarp is for two guys on my hunts (with TONS of room to spare). Since my partner takes my bivy and the tarp stakes to split the load, my entire sleep system comes in at around 5.1 lbs. (Marmot Helium, Exped UL 7 M w/ seam sealer lines for traction and MegaTarp with guylines)

seam sealer lines? am i understanding this right, that you seam sealed part of the exped for traction?? doesnt sound like a bad idea if it works ok

slim9300

WKR
seam sealer lines? am i understanding this right, that you seam sealed part of the exped for traction?? doesnt sound like a bad idea if it works ok

Yep. Lines on top and bottom with SeamGrip. Works 100% better than before. Let the stuff dry for a week inside but it will still stick to itself every time you unpack your pad. It's a little annoying but totally worth not moving / sliding around on slightly sloped ground. My pad gained a little less than one ounce from the seam sealer.

OP
sk1

sk1

WKR
edit: going to make a new topic, as it doesnt really pertain to this one

Last edited:

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
something i read in another thread i did not think of.......what about mice in floorless shelters? i actually saw a ton of them in the last area i hunted/camped, not worried about when im in it, just concerned about leaving things when i go out for the day, anyone have any issues?

We had ground squirrels eat a package of tortillas and Luke's hat in our SL5 on a trip last year, when we bivied away from the tent for the night. That's the only time we have had a problem, and I don't think a floored shelter would have made much difference. Any critter with teeth and claws isn't going to be stopped by a silnylon tent. At least we didn't have a tent with holes in it!

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
We had mice eat a hole in our base amp tent this year in Nevada. We were gone for five days and when we returned, hole right in the floor from mice.