looking for a 2 man ultra lite tent, ideas/suggestions?

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
im getting more and more tempted to go with the megatarp

edit: does kifaru realize they have the most poorly organized website in history? you can never find anything you're looking for, it's just plain terrible and that's being nice.....if they didnt have awesome products, i wouldnt even waste my time browsing it (sorry the inner computer nerd in me is coming out)

yet another thought going floorless, do i now need to carry a pad for under my exped ul 7? I would sure think it would pop without one, unless tyvek is the way to go....i keep adding up more weight with other things to get to a floorless shelter

sk1, I can promise you the Kifaru site will look much better very soon!:) I have used a tarp of some kind for the last 5 years. The Mega is sweet. I used it the last five days on a mule deer hunt, very roomy. I always put tyvek under my pad, never had a problem.

slim9300

WKR
sk1, I can promise you the Kifaru site will look much better very soon!:) I have used a tarp of some kind for the last 5 years. The Mega is sweet. I used it the last five days on a mule deer hunt, very roomy. I always put tyvek under my pad, never had a problem.

Glad to hear about the Kifaru site getting an overhaul. ;)

kaboku68

WKR
Flycreek UL2 did well on Barnard Glacier when we were hit by the big Alaska Storm. 50-60 mph winds and it smiled at it. 2lbs 10z.
Pretty impressive. I will probably buy another one.

Flycreek UL2 did well on Barnard Glacier when we were hit by the big Alaska Storm. 50-60 mph winds and it smiled at it. 2lbs 10z.
Pretty impressive. I will probably buy another one.

You talking about the big storm from a few days ago? I was thinking about any left over sheep hunters when that thing blew through. Most the residents are done by now, but I bet there were still a few broken tent poles in the mountains after that windstorm.

Yk

My Harem

FNG
SK1,

I have the same pad and a long bag as well. I just got the mega tarp before my 16 day stone hunt this year. I love it. I dont know what I would have done with out it. You can pitch it anywhere and it handles the wind really good. It handles 2 guys and gear incredibly well.

My advice and lessons learned are this. I have learned to dislike heavy items over time. I am not a minamilist but when you are struggling up a scree slope you have time to question why the hell your pack weighs so much. All puchases should be made on a laptop half way up a mountain with a heavy pack on not in the middle of winter sitting in the recliner with a warm drink in your hand. You forget what 1/2 pound here and there does to the body & mind. This was the last trip for my wide pad.Buy the best lightest gear you can and you will never be disappointed. That is what the Mega Tarp is.

Chesapeake

Lil-Rokslider
I have Owares cat tarp and ti goat bivey. You can get the tarp in cuben to shave a few ounces.

Instead of lines of seam sealer I do dots. Less sticking together and plenty traction.

OP
sk1

sk1

WKR
SK1,

I have the same pad and a long bag as well. I just got the mega tarp before my 16 day stone hunt this year. I love it. I dont know what I would have done with out it. You can pitch it anywhere and it handles the wind really good. It handles 2 guys and gear incredibly well.

My advice and lessons learned are this. I have learned to dislike heavy items over time. I am not a minamilist but when you are struggling up a scree slope you have time to question why the hell your pack weighs so much. All puchases should be made on a laptop half way up a mountain with a heavy pack on not in the middle of winter sitting in the recliner with a warm drink in your hand. You forget what 1/2 pound here and there does to the body & mind. This was the last trip for my wide pad.Buy the best lightest gear you can and you will never be disappointed. That is what the Mega Tarp is.

glad to hear it, i have already made up my mind....will be ordering a mega tarp for next season im pretty excited about it now that i got over all my qualms about going floorless......most likely also getting the ti goat raven omni bivy...the same setup slim was talking about, cant wait to place the order

jherald

WKR
I'm running a Hilleberg Nallo 3 without the inner tent if I want light. I sometimes use the footprint as a floor. It has been a sweet set up.

jherald

WKR
I prefer to have poles versus using a trekking pole and the Hillebergs have been the best for my alpine hunts so far. You can really guy them out too.

RockChucker30

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I used a Seek Outside BCS this year on my elk hunt and it did great.

I'm looking forward to the release of the SO Little Bug Out. It'll be a pretty cool solo/ 2 person shelter. You can use it as tarp, tarp with vestibule, put two tarps together to make a sort of pyramid shape, put two tarps together with a connector and it becomes a multi person shelter, and it integrates with a DWR nest that effectively turns it into a double wall tent. Stove compatible too.

Last edited:

cmeier117

WKR
I used a Supertarp from Kifaru the last week with 2 guys. It worked great! Although I would still recommend the megatarp over it for 2 guys just for the added head room and more volume with the higher vertical wall space. I haven't used it, but having used the ST I would say try the mega tarp. I will be getting one next year.