looking for a 2 man ultra lite tent, ideas/suggestions?

sk1

WKR
so this year i used the golite SL-3, with bathtub floor and with stakes comes in around 5lbs.....it worked great, however i just don't think it's for me...

i have looked seriously at the kifaru megatarp, but am not sold on floorless shelters, am concerned about bugs (earlier in the year) and also ive gotten some pretty wicked spider bites in the middle of the night before, not sure i want to chance it while hunting......that aside, the footprint seems huge, which is awesome but at the same time not always easy to find a nice spot for it. I have not ruled out the megatarp yet as it seems just plain bada$$ but am not sold on a floorless shelter just yet. so if you think this is the route i should go, please tell me why

other tent on the list i have been looking at is the carbon reflex 2 man tent, think it comes in at 3lbs 6oz, but not sure the footprint is really wide enough, as my exped ul 7 long/wide i think is something like 26" wide and the total tent width is like 40"

what other stuff should i be looking at? i recently came across the montbell crescent 2 as well, just not sure where to take it from here, im a little stuck on the kifaru megatarp but not sold on floorless

thoughts anyone?

Above Timber

Lil-Rokslider
Have you lookd at Big Agnus's line of tents? I have been really happy with my SL2. They are nut much more than a bathtub floored bug screen with a fly.

JG358

WKR
You can always use a lightweight bivy with the megatarp If your worried about bugs.

Last edited:
OP
sk1

sk1

WKR
You can always use a lightweight with the megatarp If your worried about bugs.

use a lightweight? are you referring to some type of an internal bug mesh like something that comes with the golite tents

dbaker

Lil-Rokslider
i second what fillthefreezer said. the hilleburg stuff looks good. i'm stuck between the megatarp and the hilleburg rajd. there the same price and about a pound different.

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
If your wanting a two man tent for two people you should probably look at three person tents. Two man tents of today are barely big enough to fit two sleeping pads next to each other. This means when two people in there your outside shoulders will be rubbing the tent. Lightweight tents are usually pretty generous on what they describe for two people.

I have a Big Agnes Platinum that is described as two person and ends up being a good one person tent with some room for gear.

On the other hand, your go lite set up at five pounds for two people isn't bad, that is only 2.5 pounds per person if two are using it.

Take a look at the TarpTent Stratospire2... Ability to go floorless as well as have a bathtub and bug net nest with dual entry points. Haven't used one myself but and looking at it hard for next year!

Mike

OP
sk1

sk1

WKR
so tempted to do floorless im just not sure, HC, I will have to look that one up in a bit here and see what it looks like

JG358

WKR
use a lightweight? are you referring to some type of an internal bug mesh like something that comes with the golite tents

Sorry I was on my phone... I meant to say lightweight bivy. Something like the Ti Goat ptarmigan with bug mesh, weighs 6oz or so.

Lawnboi

WKR
a bug bivy or regular bivy with a net will keep the bugs away, both can be pretty light depending on what you want. You would be suprised how many bugs you have though because to me it seems like i have less in a tarp because they can get out easily unlike a tent.

Or you can fire up the stove and fry them with the stovepipe :)

I dont have any 1st hand experience with it yet but have read many reviews on it on bp sites. Havent heard one bad review. Come s in at 18 oz. Room for 2 with tall in mind. Im 6'04 and is plenty long. 2 entrances. Can set up with trek poles/sticks/trees. Floorless. It is the six moons designs haven. If you are really into lightweight can get it in cuben fiber at 10oz. $200retail . Regular haven. Just got it for $170 shipped.

Last edited:
Also just got a bristlecone bivy to pair with it. Thats 27 oz for tarp/bivy and room to spare. Add pad for 28ozyou andbag at 3.5#. 83 oz sleep system. 5# 3oz sleep system. Could do better on my pad/bag but damn this is getting expensive. Upgrade next year.

broncoformudv

Lil-Rokslider
OP
sk1

sk1

WKR
yeah ugh some of the 3 mans are starting to get heavy, im hoping to stay at max of 3.5lbs to shed some weight, and thats one of the reasons im considered the megatarp

just dont know what to do, not like i need to decide today as my only backpack hunt for the year is over the rest will be day trips, but im about to put my sl3 on the market, and was hoping to have an idea that i knew there was something else out there i wanted before doing so

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
Damn, that Echo tarp would need to come with an elk tag. That is expensive. I would go with a Mega Tarp.

slim9300

WKR
Damn, that Echo tarp would need to come with an elk tag. That is expensive. I would go with a Mega Tarp.

No joke. Just bite the bullet and go floorless with a UL bivy. That's what I did a couple weeks back. I have always sworn by my Hilleberg Nallo GT4 and its been great, but I just got sick of packing it around. :)

4c1cbaef-e9d4-dff4.jpg