Looking for a binocular upgrade

AaronL50

FNG
I'm looking for a good pair of binoculars for around $500 or less. I currently have vortex crossfire 10x50s and have had them for several years now. They are alright, but lacking in image quality and I want to upgrade. What does everyone recommend? I am in the midwest so I will be using them for hunting whitetails but also have some western hunts planned.

I have looked at the Maven C.1's and C.3's online and they look pretty good, but the reviews I can find are limited.

I have also considered the Leuopold BX-2 Alpines. A couple reviews have mentioned these.

Wondering if anyone has any real world experience with either of these, or if there are other options you would recommend?

OP
A

AaronL50

FNG
If you can save up just a little more, the BX4s are really good glass. I think they retail around $599 but if you shop with some of the Rokslide vendors, you might squeak in just a little over your budget.
Thanks! I'll take a look at those.

I’ll 2nd the bx4s, I had a pair I won and thought they were great for the price. I already have a pair of swaro els so I sold them, but if I didn’t already have something I liked I definitely would’ve kept them.

Hschweers

Lil-Rokslider
I upgraded from some cheap $150 bushnells to vortex vipers before last season and the difference was serious. The vipers are way better. Don’t have much else to compare them to in that price range, but I’m super pleased with my vipers

Buzby

WKR
Viper HDs are pretty good for the money. They do not give up much to the razors. Terra EDs would be good at you max budget

Weldor

WKR
I'll second the Athlon's, I use 15x56 and they are very clear for their price range.

Kenn

Lil-Rokslider
Take a look at the Nikon Refurbished website. Monarch 7’s are very good and at times you can get them at 20% off the refurbished price.

Matt G.

WKR
If you are not opposed to used market and up to 600, I saw some meostars hd for that price in the classifieds. Not sure you can beat that.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

Jimss

WKR
I would either find a nearly new pair of Leica or Swaros on ebay, craigslist, marketplace or a demo pair for reduced price. IBoth my Leicas bino-rangefinder combo and Swaro spotter were bought for about 1/2 price this way!

Glass is my #1 investment for hunting! I use it more than just about anything else for both scouting and hunting. Definitely worth the investment! I actually sold some of my old hunting stuff and other things laying around my house so I could afford the very best binos.

I would also advise strongly getting a bino-rangefinder combo. This will save $ compared to buying both. Plus you won't have both wrapped around your neck and waste valuable time going back and forth. Having the combo can be the difference between a critter on the ground or fumbling back and forth a few extra seconds and the same critter heads over the horizon.

Gone4Days

WKR
Leupold BX4. Made in Japan, good glass, locking diopter, open bridge…. all other in that price will be Made in China and most likely won’t have locking diopter. I had a pair and upgraded to Swaros but loved them. You can find used on here pretty common for < $500

bluumoon

WKR
There was a pair of Cabela Euros 10x42 in classifieds yesterday for $600, they are Meoptas rebranded. Love my Meoptas, they retail around 1k.

Holmes

Lil-Rokslider
I recommend that you look for $500 used binos that retail at $700-800.
In my experience trying new things (equipment for any activity really), before I have enough experience to really know what I want, I try to buy good quality used. I can usually sell it for about the same price I bought it for and try a different similar thing in a few months or seasons.

nphunter

WKR
I’d find a good used set of Vortex Razors or Meostar/Euro’s, they can be had for about $600 if your patient.

j_2112

FNG
If you're looking for something a bit compact, I run a maven b3, which is a noticeable step up from the c line.