Looking For a Bird Dog and Companion

Ok so I’m getting into hunting birds and want a good hunting dog. And I’m in Southern Alberta Canada so winters are cold and summers are hot. This isn’t a spontaneous decision as I’ve been thinking about getting a dog for a couple of years now. Hunting dogs weren’t on my list at first but because I’m getting into hunting birds and really enjoy it and plan on doing it for the rest of my life I figured why not look into a hunting dog that is also a good family dog.
Yes I’ve researched and googled the crap out of this. I’m looking for some first hand knowledge from someone who owns/owned these type of dogs.
The dogs I’ve been drawn toward because of my “wants” are the Spaniel family. Specifically Boykin , English Springer and the American Water Spaniel. To help your response, here’s some info about me and what I want-
- I’m leaning towards a flushing/retrieving dog over a pointer but can be talked into either
- Something that’s good for upland and waterfowl. And maybe can help out in bigger game hunts but not a must.
- Medium sized
- Good with other dogs(in my home and at dog parks) and cats in house
- Great companion and family dog
- Moderate exercise needs
- I work from 9-4 most weekdays but there’s two dogs and a cat home all day
- I do alot of scouting in open and thick bush
- I will be hunting bird quite often

Any tips, info, personal experience or breeder contacts would be appreciated. I’m open to suggestions. Don’t forget, I’m in Canada. Thanks!

Michael54

WKR
I went with a pointer. I found a local guy with extremely well bred deutch kurzhar (gsp)pups and bought one. I'm not a big fan of always having to be ready to shoot and find my own birds after i do. Pup is now 6 months old and following scent lines and pointing birds. Shes basically training herself. Side note she is super protective over my son.

I have been hunting birds (upland and waterfowl) extensively for the last 18 years. In those years I have had the opportunity to hunt around and over a wide variety hunting dogs. I have also spent a lot of time training gun dogs.

It seems like your wanting a versatile hunting dog. If you have not already google the terms “versatile hunting dog.” That is a title given to breeds that are bred to hunt upland, water fowl and fur. There are lots of breeds that are considered versatile dogs (spaniels, pointers etc.).

The North American Versatile Hunting Dog Association (NAVHDA) maintains a list of what they consider versatile breeds. They are a club that focuses on maintaining, training and hunting these breeds. A great resource for potential and new dog owners. There are two chapters in Alberta. If you want to learn about versatile breeds check out their web page. If I were in your situation I would even go to a NAVHDA club meeting or test check the dogs out and talk with judges, breeders and owners.

You should also go to Versatiledogs.com (not affiliated with NAVHDA) and check out the forum. There has probably been 1000 threads on, “which dog should I get.” There are some pretty salty old bird dog folks there that are more than happy to give you a ton of advice....wanted or unwanted.

All of that being said if you want a really great hunting dog that can handle cold water retrieves and properly hunt/point upland birds simply buy one of these....
1. AKC German Wirehaired Pointer or Verein Deutsch Drahtaar (some say they are different breeds...I have owned both...they are not)
2. Pudelpointer
3. Wirehaired Pointing Griffon

Any of those with a good dense harsh coat and your golden.

If you want info on good breeders go to the versatiledogs.com web page and ask about breeders in your area. Another option would be to ask the folks in the local NAVHDA chapter (particularly Judges) to recommend breeders. Some people are weird about recommending breeders so you might not want to lead with that.

Not sure if getting a dog from the US is practical for you. I could recommend several GWP breeders in the northwest US who breed great dogs. If all else fails go the the Verein Deutsch Drahtaar Group North America webpage and find the closest Canadian breeder. The VDD dogs must pass a hunt test prior to breeding and the breeding must be approved by a breed warden. That significantly increases the chance of getting a quality dog.

C

Read your post a second time. Missed the fact that you have a cat. I would be sure you mention that when talking to any versatile breeders. Most versatile breeds come from Europe. In Europe many versatile dogs are breed and expected to dispatch cats as they kill game birds. Lines with recent European blood are NOT good with cats. VDD dogs and the Kurzhaars are most likely not going to be cat friendly. My current VDD dog’s father was a German import and he not good with cats. Does not bother me because I do not own a cat. I know plenty of people with versatile breeds that have cats. My last AKC GWP was good with cats. Most breeders can tell you how their dogs do with cats. The question to ask is, “would you leave one of your dogs raised around cats alone with your wife’s cat.”

C

Reactions: Guy

adamkolesar

Lil-Rokslider
Some very knowledgeable information thus far from guys with vast experience. I'll opine from a limited perspective in the spaniel camp. I own a Field Bred Springer who is now 6 years old. She is my first hunting dog and spends a great deal of time as a family pet. Like you, I did the research, talked to owners and found a breeder based on several recommendations. I'm fortunate to own a dog with insane prey drive, that can turn off and be an affectionate companion to my wife and daughter. She came from a kennel specializing in Field trial competition.
As a 6 year old my ESS is in her prime as a hunter. The breed is extremely forgiving of user error. She is e collar trained, but I rarely need to use it these days. She is relentless in pursuit of upland birds and is willing to retrieve early season ducks. Personally, I like the process of her finding, flushing and retrieving the birds (provided I do my part). This, as opposed to working with a pointer and kicking the brush for the flush. You WILL loose more birds if that flush is out of range, but the process will keep you on your toes and test your dog handling skills. I could go on and on, but there are folks with decades of experience that can provide more specific guidance.
Good luck!

Blackstorm

Lil-Rokslider
Im going to be Mr Contrary in my response in what you want, I have done the dog games for over 35 years and tried a lot of breeds and hunted over almost all of them. I judge field trials for both the CKC and AKC. I ascribe to the belief of getting a dog for each venue I plan to hunt or test. This I understand is not practical for many if anybody else but it works for me. I have trained my own dogs as well as use a pro training depending on the dog and my desires for what I want with that dog. What you don't mention is what birds you are going after and how you hunt, S Alberta is big country and a lot of varied terrain, if you are going after wide open species get a breed that has the ingrained ability to run big setups, if you hunting from a canoe or kayak in small ponds another breed is going to be better suited. If you are going to travel for your hunts to try lots of different birds ( I highly recommend this by the way) other more versatile breeds will be better suited for you.
1. if you want a good hunting dog as you stated first my suggestion is to get a started dog, first you will have an idea on what you are getting and it is as close to a guarantee as you can get on finding a good hunting dog. It should have a good foundation and is usually under 2 years old and will be a little more expensive than a puppy ( the biggest crap shoot going, And I have done multiple breeding's) but in the long run less expensive. The most important thing that you can do is join a local group that trains so when you get into trouble and everybody does their are others that can help you out.
2. look at local ads on what is for sale, someone else has figured out what works in your area. I currently own labs and GSP's and I have some trained as waterfowl and some for upland. I have a camp in SoDak for waterfowl and upland, and a place down south where we hunt quail and waterfowl. My main training grounds are in NY where i do primarily waterfowl, but I train on upland and for tests and trials.
3. I firmly believe breeds have certain characteristics that are bred into them, my pointers as a whole were easier to train for pointing than my retrievers were for retrieving but both required a lot of birds to become good bird dogs, and I love training the dogs every day that I can. This is something you will have to determine what your needs, time and abilities are in dog training
4. Cats, I can't help you here as my GSP will tear it apart and my labs will sleep with it, always hard to introduce a dog and cat so I don't try any more and crate the dogs during the day and keep the GSP and cat in separate rooms when they are inside together. I use kennels when the weather permits to get the dogs some more outdoor time.
5. On to breeds you mentioned they are all fine breeds and I have hunted over all of them, I would add the lab to your list for the simple reason they have been the most popular breed for a reason for over 30 years. They come in all shapes and sizes. My most successful lab weighed in at a whopping 49 lbs and lived to 15 and loved to hunt and has been the only dog i've owned that loved to retrieve woodcock. They can be trained to do just about any venue or species. This however is also their failing as well.
6. Mine and the dog exercise routine:
is every morning out with guys as group to do airings and fun bumpers 15 -20 min then a drill for retrievers IE lining or walking singles for 20 min. On walk back set up a scent trail for pointer, Then they are crated.
The afternoon train with the Retrievers are marking set ups with a blind or two. One of the marks or blinds is with dead birds. Pointer gets a scent trail to a box launcher or two with the dead bird. If we are doing water the pointers go first as the birds stay dry that way. I like to feed after this train time
Everning
Air first then light happy bumpers and obedience with all dogs, Heeling, Here drills as well as some handling drills like remote sits in the yard ( i lit up a side yard for this)
7. I hunt as often as i can and some years get out up to 70 days a year, but average about 50 days a year with the dogs

TSAMP

WKR
I say get whatever one you like looking at the most. As that is what 80 percent of the time youll be doing. You can spin circles about this breed or that, but what matters is does it have the right background( hunting not show) and how ready are you to work with it? If you do your homework on a reputable breeder of any of those mentioned, that dogs limiting factor will be you and your ability as a trainer. Not trying to mean but besides a handful of professionals this holds true for most of us owners.

For a bird hunting and family dog I can't see a reason not to get a Labrador. You can get one that's fairly small or a total tank. Strong enough for late season retrieves in cold water, dumb enough to sit there with you, smart enough to say no, and playful to the end.

Mine can be a bit of surly prick but he must've gotten that from my lady...

I've shared a lot of long walks and cold days with him and I can't think of a better friend.
9e82b49639a5c57ef0b6e5f9c6927935.jpg

Last edited:

Superdoo

WKR
Get one of the versatile breeds and join NAVHDA. Go to the training events and accept the feedback you get. Go home and put in 15 to 20 minutes most days for about 2 years and enjoy it. Don’t think of it like work, think of it as play time. You’ll have a tighter bond than a lot of owners.
I’ve been working with dogs through NAVHDA for seven years now. It’s a great organization that focuses on an individual dog’s ability not a competition of which dog is best.

2ski

WKR
Out of what you want, I think you're on target with a Boykin. I have no experience with one, but I've heard good things. If you're thinking flusher go with it. We all have different criteria for dogs. Other people have their own so don't go with what they would get because they may have reasons for why they did. Kind of like "I want a $200 pack" "get a kifaru" threads.

slvrslngr

WKR
If you like the spaniels, get one. Otherwise it sounds like a WPG is your huckleberry. Good luck and have fun with your new dog!

Spoonbill

WKR
I had a couple buddies in college with Boykins and they were good dogs. One was my roommate and his dog was fine in the house (most days). I will say they are small dogs, especially females, which can be a factor. A springer may be a better bet and the ones I’ve been around have the temperment you are looking for. I have a lab that loves quail hunting more than duck hunting, so as others have said, dont rule those out.
Most importantly, congrats on getting a dog, it is the most frustating yet rewarding thing I have ever done.

Like anything else: The more you listen to what others would have you do, the less you might be listening to your own desires. I think the key here is to learn what you can about the individual breeds...their characteristics....and make your choice. With 100% respect to everyone here, I would never buy a dog based on what others would have you buy. In reading your first post, I can tell you've got your priorities figured out and you're on your way. And by the way....a Boykin is a heck of a dog. I know several people who've owned them and all had glowing things to say.

One small tidbit: Many of the 'versatile breeds' are incredible dogs. They hunt hard, and they can be indiscriminate about what they hunt. My drahthaar has super-high prey drive and is a relentless searcher. Squirrels, rabbits, opossums, birds (of every kind) and especially domestic cats. Catch-and-kill is the unspoken motto. At the same time, she is superbly gentle around all people and very soft-mouthed. I can't even get her to bite me in rough play. Probably the best companion dogs I've ever owned, but exercise and work needs are extremely high the first 3+ years. To be clear, I don't think this is the breed the OP would consider given his list of needs.

SoDaky

WKR
I second(or 3rd)the lab.Can/will do everything you need plus cuddle with your kids at night.I have one now that points pheasants and sharpies as well.
If interested in a flusher/spaniel,I'd go Springer.Contrary to most opinions,they are great waterfowl dogs.Cold water/late season requires care(haircuts,vests,boat/blind accomodations'but doable til you are breaking ice).Over the years I've had 3 that checked all the marks-approx 26-27 yrs of hard hunting with them combined.

ejs21

FNG
I've got a two year old Brittany from Lakefield Brittany's out of Lake Isle, AB. Can't say enough about the breeder and about my pup. I was in the same shoes as you, I always wanted a bird dog but knew it had to be a great house dog too. I was torn between a GSP or a Brittany, went with the Brittany because of the size and I would have felt bad having a GSP cooped up in a city yard. I couldn't be happier with my pup, extremely smart, loves everyone, is obsessed with anything that flies but is more than happy to curl up on the couch with you all day.

Tons and tons of great info posted so far. I have owned a lab, and English pointer and a Drahthaar. I would eco the statements above and said a versatile breed sounds like your ideal suite. The comments above about some European breeds and cats while true also comes down to how the dog is trained and raised. If raised from a young pup around the cat and trained you shouldn’t have an issue.

Are you going to train the dog yourself or have a professional do it? The European breeds tend to take to training pretty easy while the British breeds tend to be more instinct driven and little more stubborn to train (a very general statement a lot comes from dog and bloodline as well).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WKR
My new dog is from this line in Manitoba. He's coming along very well and has a wonderful temperament. May contact this gentleman at least to discuss his thoughts on drahthaars. Mine is 6 months and water retrieving, having birds shot over him and retrieving, blood tracking, hare tracking, duck tracking, and doing well with basic obedience. He and my 3 year old drahthaar are always at my side. Don't get me wrong, he is far from a finished dog, but he is coming along great.

Gbuilder

FNG
I have a Boykin, we only retrieve and haven't done any upland but he is very birdy and has the drive for it. I think he would be fine field hunting in very cold - but he's not going to break ice like a chessy or big lab. Unlike an 80lb lab he won't smother you or a small child laying on you and is very amenable to other dogs and probably wouldn't mind cats. He's 35lbs, about average as big males don't go much over 40. You can train a boykin as a retriever to a further degree than other spaniels i believe- im not familiar with too many other spaniels that hold MHR or HRCH titles, but a fair number of Boykins do.

Attachments

• 20191219_184516.jpg
    20191219_184516.jpg
    301.2 KB · Views: 27
  • 0907191725.jpg
    0907191725.jpg
    635.5 KB · Views: 26
  • 29198.jpeg
    29198.jpeg
    512.8 KB · Views: 26
+ 1 on the Brittany, that's what I have. 1.4 years old. I really like her. So far she's turning out to be a decent dog. Ive had labs and pointers and they are both excellent in there own ways. I will say the biggest thing I like is my little female is 37#s she fits in an xs neoprean vest, likes to swin, she'll retrieve a bird from water or land, is steady to flush(working on shot), and hardly eats any food at all and is super easy to have in tight spaces. She loves to be in the house with the kids too, but she loves to run on our club property. Overall I think it was a good choice. Did I mention the vet bills also seem to be lower than I had with any of my labs or pointers?

Last edited: