Looking for a bow

Looking to get into traditional archery,im 43,6ft 175.Plan to practice off and on thur this winter and use it only next season.I harvest 4-6 deer a year so i better get to practicing!
I have been killing game with a compound and rifle for years and ready for the next challenge.
What would you recommend as far as clinics,videos etc,tab or glove and I have heard the samick sage would be a good start,so im looking for one with 25-30 lb limbs and even a heavier pair for hunting if anyone has one.

GregB

WKR
25-30 is a good weight to start with, and a Samick or other cheap bow to start with. Clay Hayes, Kifarucast and the push have some good videos. It takes some time to figure out what you do and don't like w/ a traditional bow. So having an inexpensive bow and arrows will keep from breaking the bank while you figure it out. The biggest thing is to stay light and get your form really good. Get a coach if you can. I use a Bateman cordavan tab, black widow makes a decent one too. I went from a 70# compound to a 50# recurve and was still over bowed.

Dvidos

Lil-Rokslider
25-30 is a good weight to start with, and a Samick or other cheap bow to start with. Clay Hayes, Kifarucast and the push have some good videos. It takes some time to figure out what you do and don't like w/ a traditional bow. So having an inexpensive bow and arrows will keep from breaking the bank while you figure it out. The biggest thing is to stay light and get your form really good. Get a coach if you can. I use a Bateman cordavan tab, black widow makes a decent one too. I went from a 70# compound to a 50# recurve and was still over bowed.
+1
g.png

Sounds like you are on the right path. Lots of good used bows out there. A samick would be a great starter. Important not to over bow yourself starting out. If you shoot a 65lb compound even a 45lb trad bow would be a bit heavy starting out. Get a light bow, get it set up properly with the correct spine arrows etc... and work on your form. Build up to a hunting weight bow.

oldgoat

WKR
I wouldn't go less than the 30#, light bows can be hell to get a clean release from. I'd suggest buying the Solid Archery Mechanics course from Rmsgear, good place to buy the bow and arrows, tab, arm guard etc from. Sages are great, so are old used bows. I almost never buy new! You might look for a cheap ilf rig for your learner bow, at least that way if you want to try three under etc, you will have a bow that you can adjust the tiller on, then you can pick up a heavier set of limbs later to hunt, at least with an ilf you can cover all the styles of shooting with one bow till you figure out what works best for you. I've been shooting quite a while and if I was starting over, I'd definitely start three under versus split like I shoot! Good luck and give rmsgear a call, tell them what you're wanting to do and ask about their online course, it's $200 I think but it will probably save you money in the long run! Even if you go back to compound, it will make you a better shot with it too!

Another bow to look at would be the Black Hunter. I've never held one but there are stacks of reviews on them all over the net.

As others have said, listen to heaps of podcasts - namely 'The Push' and 'Kifarucast'. Other good ones are 'Traditional Outdoors' and 'The Stickbow Chronicles'.

Ask as many questions as you can, post pictures and videos of your form, etc.

I picked up a trad bow for the first time this year. The learning curve is steep, but it's a lot of fun. I'm really enjoying it so far. Yet to kill my first animal with it but there is plenty of time for that.

And also, yes about don't overbow yourself. I went from a 70# compound to a 54# recurve. I haven't struggled, but I never got to practice heaps because I'd get tired quickly. I've since bought a 41# bow and can shoot it all day and it's doing wonders for my form.

Being over-bowed when you first start would be frustrating, but I would really recommend not going quite that low in limb weight to start. 40-45lbs would be better in my opinion... If you have been practicing with a compound, you will not need to go as light as 25lbs - it's different, but you won't be starting from scratch. I think a 25lb bow would not hold your interest very long. Even if you get a take down with 2 sets of limbs, I'd shoot for around 40lbs for the first "practice" set.

Getting your form down IS important, but I've never used any class or DVD type materials - probably should have a long time ago :) I don't think there is any substitute for just getting out and shooting. Stump shooting/small game hunting can be BIG FUN. I've been shooting mostly longbows for about the last 15 years, and chasing mainly upland birds and bunnies.

Having your arrows tuned to your bow is also important... Are you going to shoot woodies?? There are tons of great bowyers around these days, and you can pick up used bows for very decent prices.

GLB

WKR
Lots of good advice. I’ll echo what’s been said already. light draw weight bow to learn on. 30# is probably a good weight to start. Learn proper form and enjoy the sport. It’s awesome!

Beendare

WKR
Agree with a very light bow to start....you can easily sell it off for 80% of what you paid when you upgrade. Its ABSOLUTELY CRUCIAL you develop good form before you start pulling a lot of weight.

I think the #1 reason most start and then quit stick bows in they started with too much weight.

Lots of free form vids on Youtube; The Push, Rod Jenkins, Clay Haynes, etc. I liked the Masters of the bare bow #1 and #3.

I like the ILF system bows overall. I have tried many of the expensive customs....and have yet to find a custom that can match the feel and performance of even inexpensive limbs on an ILF riser.

Good luck and like everyone is saying, form first. Then work on going up in weight, slowly. Good thing about the sage is that you can get limbs cheap when you are ready to move up. Don’t be afraid to reach out to trad guys, they are always willing to help. Best group of people in the world!

OP
C
Im going to get the tom clum series,matter of fact im not even going to start shooting till i get it because of bad habits.
Im wanting to buy some arrows,something like gold tip trad blems.Starting with the 35 lb limbs what would be a good starting point.

oldgoat

WKR
Talk to rmsgear, depending on bow shelf and draw length it can vary! That bow you got is cut past center and if you shoot off the shelf you will need a stiffer arrow than if you shoot off elevated rest etc etc etc

Clifford

FNG
I recently started back up with trad shooting with an ILF bow and would encourage you to look into ILF risers and used limbs. You can always swap limbs later. Keep in mind that your draw length will effect your draw weight with trad bows. Most are rated at 28” and the pounds add up after that.

OP
C
I have been looking into the ilf bows,it does make sence to start there,looks like the 19 inch satoris,wf19s,tradtechs with blackmax limbs seem to be an popular choice.Maybe some deals will be available after season.

Last edited:

Clifford

FNG
I have been looking into the ilf bows,it does make sence to start there,looks like the 19 inch satoris,tradtech with blackmax limbs seem to be an popular choice.Maybe some deals will be available after season.
If your right handed used risers pop up pretty often. I’m a left so am often stuck buying used.

Beendare

WKR
Coop, if you go the ILF route, lots of cheap stuff out there to start.....look on Ebay. Those Bosun limbs get decent marks for being so cheap....and you can find risers for under $100. You can even start with a longer Oly riser; 21", 25" just to get your form down. A longer bow is just that much easier to shoot.

The classifieds on Archery Talk have some of that stuff....and folks regularly selling their starter stuff for 80% of what they paid initially.

Another option with ILF would be to but a good riser to start, either wood or Aluminum....then just advance through limbs selling off the light ones...or just keeping them.

You probably have a 28-30" DL. A 17" riser with longs makes a 62" bow. I would recommend that length...or a 64" which is a 19" riser with longs. The thing to remember about ILF limbs is their weight rating is for 25" Oly risers...the shorter risers will give them more poundage.

Example; my 19" Dryad riser with long Uukha Vx 36# limbs is right at 48,49#- assuming the limbs are all the way in. I can drop them down as much as 6# by taking a couple of turns off the bolts.

Dryad is good stuff...they have a once yearly sale now...might be worth a look. I'm looking at getting one of their 19" mountain risers [aluminum] myself.....

I took all their advice to heart last February and this is my first shot while hunting. I was staring at a 350+ bull elk that was screaming in my face in Sep. He stepped out in a place where he could not see the decopy (as planned) and I didn't have time to range all the junipers around me. Misjudged the distance and shot right under him. Had I used a CB he'd be in the freezer. There is no finer challenge than trad...prepare to be fully addicted.

Best viewed in full screen

oldgoat

WKR

I buy mostly used bows, only had bad luck with one and it wasn't because it was used, just the riser came apart at a glue line, happens! The first link above is a forum popular with ilf shooters, they seem to have more quality ilf stuff than other classifieds, the second one is archery talk and that's where I buy most of my used bows from these days, they have a feedback system which is nice, there feedback rating is in the right side of the box at the top of a post.