Looking for a bow

Torian13

FNG
As stated above go with the Solid Archery Mechanics course from Tom Clum. Its like having a coach, but on your phone. The man has a way of teaching that sinks in. Went to Colorado this past summer and shot with him. Hell of a guy.

I would also suggest going with a 40lb bow. That weight is usually the bare minimum needed for hunting big game in most sates. And if you have been bulling a compound you shouldn't have an issue with shooting a 40lb bow as long as you go with the correct length. I see you are 6ft, 175. So I wouldn't go with anything under a 58 inch AMO bow to start with. Some guys like shooting shorter bows but its not the greatest way to start out. Enjoy the journey.

ScottinPA

WKR
See if you can find a local mentor to help you out too For me, videos and course are fine but having someone watch and help realtime better. Reach out on Tradgang.com, or Professional Bowhunters Society forum. I'm sure you'll find someone local to help you out.

Bendback

FNG
Good luck and some good advice here. Just a suggestion you might want to start with something like a Hoyt Satori and work your way up in weight by adding heavier limbs. they are good bows and can be set up too shoot off the shelf or with a rest and plunger.

OP
C
Ok,update,i bought a sage but after really thinking about all the advise I picked up a used 19 inch satori with 45 lb hoyt limbs.I will sale the sage so now im really looking forward to starting tom clums course over my xmas vacation.I would like to find some 35 lb trad tech limbs to start out with though.

oldgoat

WKR
Ok,update,i bought a sage but after really thinking about all the advise I picked up a used 19 inch satori with 45 lb hoyt limbs.I will sale the sage so now im really looking forward to starting tom clums course over my xmas vacation.I would like to find some 35 lb trad tech limbs to start out with though.
Well, since it's ilf you should be able to find some cheap light limbs to practice with, might even want to go lighter than 35# I know when I was talking to Tom the other day, he's going to have me use a 25# bow to work on my draw cycle. I'm on the classifieds constantly looking for deals, if I see something I'll send you a link

Beendare

WKR

Guys get so caught up in Draw weight to start.... when their 70# compound is only holding 14# at full draw. A 45# stick bow is tripling that. Sure guys can do it....but keep your orthopedic surgeon on speed dial- grin.

Well its not that^ bad...but its so important to dial in the fine motor skills at full draw with a light bow first. Sure you want at least 40# to hunt with....but the last group of good trad shooters I shot with at a big tourney were all shooting in the 30#-40# range. Maybe thats why they were good consistent shooters. 150 arrows with my hunting bow at 52# is probably why I started dropping a couple second arrows and dragged in 3rd.

With an ILF setup, you can buy some light 25#,30# limbs for $60....then sell them off in the classifieds for 80% of what you paid for them.

Those Archery Talk classifieds have a lot of deals as does TradTalk.....I just bought some Uukha Vx's [ILF limbs] for about 1/2 off.(y)

Demunds

FNG
Got a sage with 35&50 lb limbs this morning from a member on here.Start there and maybe progress to a ilf.
Need to find my two daughters 10&12 something now,it will be easier to find the time if we can do it together.

Agree. Started with a 35# Sage then got a used Titan II on ArcheryTalk and some new BlackMax 45# wood/glass longs from Lancaster. Don’t feel a need to upgrade for a long time now.