Looking for a good carry weapon - What should I go with?

Looking for something affordable and preferably automatic.Which caliber should I go with?

CCW or woods carry?

Prefer the M&P over the glock
I got hung up on the ported M&P's. Am on a quest to get the entire line up of them lol

Welcome. Long time glock guy here and if I only owned one handgun it would probably be a G19. These days, For concealed carry, I have become a huge fan of the p365 xl. IMO you can still conceal bigger guns but the pain in the ass factor goes way. My p365 XL has 3 less rounds than a 19 but is similar in terms of shootabil for me and far easier to conceal.

Since the OP specified the preference of AUTOMATIC, I'd recommend going with something like the "CZ75 Full Auto" pistol. Can be ballsy and find some old-school Uzis as well.

If the OP meant SEMI AUTOMATIC, I'd recommend that the individual ignore all of us and 1) define the usage requirements for the handgun, 2) go to a local store and handle as many different makes and models that meet the specified requirements and eliminate any that do not fit his/her/'pronoun of choice' hands, and 3) rent a few the met the cut from #2 and then make a decision.

Another Sig p365x here... although I do have a full size M&P I shoot as well. I shot the M&P, Ruger, Hellcat and Glock side by side and I preferred the Sig. I preferrred the M&P over the Glock as well.