Looking for a good youth pack

reaperukon

Lil-Rokslider
So I’ve got a 12 yo (5’1” 110lbs) and a 10 yo (4’5” 89lbs) that are joining me on an elk hunt this fall for 4 nights. We are packing into the backcountry a few miles and I’m trying to figure out the gear situation. Any ideas on what the best pack would be to fit someone this size? I thought about the mystery ranch women’s line just bc they are smaller framed, but I’m not sure that will really work. Appreciate any ideas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

for my kids that age i generally avoided most things that were made for kids with a few exceptions. generally when a company makes something for kids it ends up being toylike. The one thing to keep in mind is they will outgrow most items while those items still have useable life left so they are generally pretty easy to resale. It also means there are good deals on used items that were owned by kids before and they hardly got broken in.

I liked my kids having decent gear. It made the trips more enjoyable. if your kid is miserable...you will be miserable too. There are some smokin deals on last years model mystery ranch stuff I believe there are some selway packs in size small on camofire today for $299. those would be awesome kids packs. You could also go with any of the mass market, better backs like badlands or something similar. now is a great time to buy because there are a lot of clearance items. also a great time to buy used because there are a lot of people upgrading gear.

JoMa

Lil-Rokslider
I was in this same situation a couple years ago. I decided that I didn’t have an expectation that my kids would haul extremely heavy loads (i.e., 60-100 lbs) due to their size and developing bodies. I also didn’t want them getting tired and wore out on hikes, and not enjoying the experience. I did have an expectation that they would carry their sleeping bags/pads, clothes, food, water, and small gear (i.e., flashlights, knife, etc.).

Based on my situation and after evaluating several pack options, I ended up considering more traditional backpacking packs (i.e., Gregory, Osprey, Deuter, etc.). These packs are relatively cheap, lightweight, durable, and have a lot of good features. Several models have harnesses that are highly adjustable, so the pack can grow with the kid until they are big enough for a more expensive hunting pack. We also backpack quite a bit in the summer with our llamas, so these packs serve a dual purpose. I ended up getting some 60-65L (3600-4000 ci) Deuter packs from STP for around $100-$120 each.

My 14-year old son packed out his bull elk hind quarter in his pack this fall. The pack worked great.

OP
reaperukon

reaperukon

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks everyone for the ideas. I think the idea of a pack that can grow with them is the ideal situation. I don’t want to spend for something that won’t work, but I also don’t mind spending more to get that. I’ll definitely be checking out that western edge company. Those packs look spot on!

vanniek71

FNG
This post is like deja vu! Been googling good kid/teen hunting packs and no dice, came to ask the forum here and the first post is this one.

From a non OP thanks for the info!

I have seen the Western Edge packs in person. Quality is top notch. In fact I will probably have Steve the owner/designer make a custom bag for my Kifaru frame. My boy has one of his packs and likes it a lot more then he liked an REI branded kids pack.

tag_out

FNG
Check out an Eberlestock X2. I ordered one for a day pack and it is uncomfortable as hell. The yoke is very short and nonadjustable. I am 6'2" and suggest that anyone considering this pack should try one on first. But, the pack does everything. I packed an entire deer out with mine no problem. Its a great day pack or multi day pack if it fits you. I think the X2 would be a great pack for a young hunter. My opinion only.

Jimbob

WKR
https://www.deuter.com/CA/ce/kids/fox-40-3613118-blue-red.html

I got this for my 11 yr old son this year and it works well. I wish it was bigger but the suspension fits great and is comfortable on him. Used for mountain goats and moose hunting.

I will want a bigger pack for him in the next few years but the suspension will still fit and his younger sisters will use it.

OP
reaperukon

reaperukon

Lil-Rokslider
I was looking at that same pack last night. For the size of it I thought I might look at some of the small packs out of the big companies. Especially right now with deals flying around. Seems like the xs yoke on some of the mystery ranch packs are about the same and would give a little bigger pack for him. Plus, I’m sure to he’d rather have a camo color than blue. After all we all know that hunts a little better

Last edited:

robcollins

Lil-Rokslider
Here's a few pictures of my 10 year old with a Western Edge Gear pack frame, a Kifaru Molle Express bag (no stays or suspension, just the 2,400 cubic inch bag), a Mountain Ridge Gear Cody pack (similar to a Kifaru E&E, it's the Orange one), a Kifaru Grab It, and a Ruger 1022. He really seemed to like it. The Grab It hooked into the frame and plugged in just like it does on the Duplex. I recommend this frame 100%...

20180805_105116.jpg20180805_105127.jpg20180805_113635.jpg

OP
reaperukon

reaperukon

Lil-Rokslider
@robcollins thanks for posting those pics. That’s a sweet setup. How much was he carrying on average? I don’t expect my sons to pack a ton, but if they could carry their sleep system, clothes, weapon and maybe their food that would be huge. Thanks again!!

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Another fan of the Deuter Fox 40 here. It's a great adjustable pack I bought my 12 year old son when was 9. I too wish the volume was more, but so far it has worked great for him. He is now putting some sandbags in it and training for this fall! I figure I have another season or two of it before he gets large enough for a "real" pack.

robcollins

Lil-Rokslider
@robcollins thanks for posting those pics. That’s a sweet setup. How much was he carrying on average? I don’t expect my sons to pack a ton, but if they could carry their sleep system, clothes, weapon and maybe their food that would be huge. Thanks again!!
He was carrying sleep system, (sleeping bag and ground pad) clothes, (it was July, he had rain gear and layers, shoes for wading) water, small first aid kit, knife, .410 & .22 shells, spinning rod & small box of spinners/flies/bubbles, and a scoped 10/22... I'd call his total weight around 25 lbs, which for a 10 year old little kid, seemed heavy. We were about 2 miles in, the trip out climbed about 800', he was out in front of us all.

He didn't complain or lag a bit. I think carrying a pack like Dad's stepped his game up, and we did a Cub Scout campout the following weekend, around the other kids, I'd describe him as more engaged, confident, like he grew into the pack, it was pretty cool.... Seeing him enjoy the frame made it worthwhile for me. He uses the frame for snowshoeing as well, with the grab it and either a lid or that Mountain Ridge Cody....

I bought my son a Deuter fox 30 when he was 6. It worked well until he outgrew it at nine, I bought him the fox 40 then, and my 6 yr old daughter uses the 30 now. No complaints at all. They adjust easily, seem to be comfortable and wash in the washing machine. My son carried backstraps and a boned out front shoulder from a buck I shot last fall in addition to his day hunt gear, he said it felt heavy...but he beat me to camp!

Big Nasty

Lil-Rokslider
Same as above, I started the kids with the Dueter 30 then went to the 40, then switched my 12yr old last yr to the wife's 55L osprey which worked great for him on a 10 day sheep hunt, also packed his mule deer out with this pack. Next yr I will get him the new SG 3300 solo pack for his 10 day sheep hunt and I'll use this as my day pack when he's not using it, kill 2 birds with 1 pack

Last edited: