"Looking for a Hawken gun, .50 caliber or better"

NateK

Lil-Rokslider
Any input on Hawken style rifles guys? I am considering picking one up for our two week muzzleloader season here in TN. preferable something in the $500 ish range (or less) that works. If anyone has experience with such a gun please chime in! Curious to see what everyone's preferred model, caliber (leaning towards a .50), and twist rate as well as loads that have worked. I know the older style guns are a real PIA to clean and operate compared to the newer stuff but that whole process is part of the attraction for me.

LaGriz

WKR
NateK,

In that price range you should have plenty of options. If your going to shoot round balls, I would recommend a .54 caliber with a slower (maybe 1-in-60) twist. If you are going to shoot conical bullets a .50 cal. would be fine. The .54 round ball has a weight of 220+ grains and IMHO kills better than a 175 grain .50 cal. If you don't mind the weight I would recommend a Lyman Great Plains Rifle or a less fancy Trade Rifle. Once upon a time these side lock replicas were required to be legal in many states. As the use of in-lines became more common many folks retired their Hawken's and you may find a good deal on one. LaGriz

67bronco

FNG
I nice used TC renegade can be had for less than 500. 54 or 50. Id prob go with 50 for conaicals and with 1:48 twist it will shoot great plains bullets and no excuse conicals real well. Like mentioned above go 54 if planning for round balls though. I just picked up a 58 TC big boar. All TC sidelocks Ive owned and shot have shot extremely well and they are very easy to clean.

Any input on Hawken style rifles guys? I am considering picking one up for our two week muzzleloader season here in TN. preferable something in the $500 ish range (or less) that works. If anyone has experience with such a gun please chime in! Curious to see what everyone's preferred model, caliber (leaning towards a .50), and twist rate as well as loads that have worked. I know the older style guns are a real PIA to clean and operate compared to the newer stuff but that whole process is part of the attraction for me.

Nate check your personal messages or conversations - I sent you a couple of pictures

ENCORE

WKR
I find them quite often at garage sales, most of which are out in the countryside. Some in excellent shape, others not so excellent. Most of the time even one in excellent shape can be gotten for $125 to $140.

Now how I do that...………… We have a Polaris Slingshot that we ride often. We, the wife and I. Now the wife likes stopping as most women may. I look for used muzzleloaders and will even ask if any might be for sale, especially if the man of the house is there. Can't count the number of times, just asking, I've been shown a muzzleloader. Some are trashed except for parts, while I've picked up a couple dandy rifles I sold for a slight profit.
You would be surprised...….

OP
NateK

NateK

Lil-Rokslider
I find them quite often at garage sales, most of which are out in the countryside. Some in excellent shape, others not so excellent. Most of the time even one in excellent shape can be gotten for $125 to $140.

Now how I do that...………… We have a Polaris Slingshot that we ride often. We, the wife and I. Now the wife likes stopping as most women may. I look for used muzzleloaders and will even ask if any might be for sale, especially if the man of the house is there. Can't count the number of times, just asking, I've been shown a muzzleloader. Some are trashed except for parts, while I've picked up a couple dandy rifles I sold for a slight profit.
You would be surprised...….

I know a few guys who have picked up solid muzzleloaders at garage sales as well. I haven't had much luck myself but I guess that may have something to do with work schedules preventing me from stopping at very many before 5pm!

2blade

WKR
I have a 54 Lyman Trade rifle thats been shot less than 100 times. Lyman peep sight setup and also have the old stock sights. Rifle looks like new. It up for sale on another forum but I'd take 400 shipped. If interested let me know and I can email you some pics.

OP
NateK

NateK

Lil-Rokslider
I really like the Lyman Great Plains just based on the look of the rifle and the fact that you can get a slower twist rate barrel. I will be shooting patched round balls if I can get them to shoot in whatever I get.

I will most likely stick with a cap gun in the hawkens since that feels right to me. When I have the budget to own a nicer gun I will probably build a flintlock in the vain of our old Southern Mountain rifles that were popular when my folks came through the Cumberland Gap (but if I was going to buy a new Lyman for $600 and now I see Track of the Wolf has Southern Mountain Rifle kits for under $1000...).

Not sure if I want to dive into a kit gun just yet. Even though the Lyman kits seem to be 90% there I would still be in the price difference in finishing tolls/products. If any of you guys have ever put together one of there kits and has an idea of what additional costs are involved I would be glad to hear about it! I might try a kit Hawkens just to practice for the next build...

You are correct on the Lyman being about 80-90% done. Basically sanding the wood smooth, finishing the metal, and maybe removing a small amount of wood around inlets and carving if you so desire. As far as the track Kits, they are more of a parts set with a lot of work to be done and aloooooot of wood to remove. They are quite a bit more advanced. Not impossible if you take your time but they do require some tools that the Lymans kits really don't.

cnelk

WKR
I built this 50cal Hawken in high school shop class back in’78.

I use 90gr of Pyrodex ‘P’ pushing a 385gr Hornady Great Plains bullet.

Shot this bull 20 years ago with it. 125yds.

I’ve also killed a pile of Neb WT with it.DF45683D-E24A-46C3-AFE7-2BDED8A2EF08.jpeg

rtaylor

Lil-Rokslider
Hi Nate I'm in Tennessee also and I am trying to sell a few Hawken rifles as part of an estate sale. Not sure if you can pm on this sight or not but I'd be glad to give you some details.

What do you have available? Also, FYI - There is a classified section for listing items for sale.

Lamont22

FNG
Another vote here for the TC Renegade. I’ve had mine over 20 years. Keep it clean and it will shoot straight.