Looking for a Hunting Partner for Newfoundland Moose

tntrker

WKR
Where do you get 6-8 days of travel? I'm driving from Boone, NC (I'm originally from Spartanburg, SC) and it's 25 hours to the ferry terminal. I'll split it up between two days there, and two days back, maybe another half day on the way home since I'll be taking my time. I'm seeing roughly 70 hours of travel (ferry ride included), I'll split it up between 4 - 4.5 days. Most of the travel is on the weekend as well.

I'm hunting 10/6 - 10/11. I'll start driving on the 4th, get to Ferry the afternoon of the 5th, sleep on ferry, drive into camp on 6th. Best part about driving is that I can leave early if I tag out before the last day. I'll also save a good bit of money by not having to fly meat home (if I kill). I went a couple of years ago and flew, would have much rather had my own vehicle while I was there.

I'm rolling solo.

I figured 2 days to ferry and 3rd day arrive to hunt the next day. Guided hunt that I'm on there no matter if I shoot on day 1 or day 6 I'm still at camp. soooo, that's 6 days balls to the wall traveling, 7 or 8 if I take my time back.. Enjoy...

Last edited:

tracker12

WKR
I would have driven this year if I could have talked the other hunter into accompanying me but he said he did it once and never again. I just don't like to drive that far anymore let alone by myself. I know I will have to deal with the aggravation of getting meat back but I did that on a UT elk hunt and while a PIA it worked out.

I am also trying to put together a trip to NL for moose. north western pa, may do solo or if another is interested share the ride. 70 YO have hunted colorado elk for about 20 years without outfitters.

Looking for a Hunting Partner for Newfoundland Moose hunt. Will be a rifle hunt in the 2020 or 2021 season. I have been there twice solo for moose and have been successful. I'm currently looking at different outfitters, and would consider both drive in or fly in. I live in upstate western NY area, with Buffalo the nearest large city. I would only consider driving verses flying, due to the shipping cost of meat and antlers. If you have always considered going, but have been putting it off, send me a message or post and discuss the hunt.
have you lined up a partner?

I am only gonna give my $.02 based upon my experience last year. I flew, but I am wishing now that I had drove. I was lucky enough to harvest a moose on the 2nd day and on the morning of the 3rd day the camp was shut down and I was flown out. I had no options once I was out of the bush. I was stuck for 4 days and no way to travel around. I wound up re-booking my flight which cost me $600 and I was home 4 days earlier. I was really wishing that I had the luxury of my own vehicle at that time so that I could explore the island and see some great stuff on the way home. Only thing I got our of the deal was a larger credit card bill and a night in town. If I had things to keep me busy at their lodge I would have stayed, but there was nothing for me to do. That is the only downside to flying. Regardless, you will have a fun time and the adventure is priceless!!
who did you use for an outfitter, I would like a fly in but driving there.

Trial153

WKR
I am in eastern NY, been to NF several times. Just rebooked 2022 with my dad, be make the drive from my house. It's a fairly easy drive and straight forward. The ferry is bargin and breaks things up. A room is must.

PA Hunter

WKR
Plus
I'm driving from Western North Carolina to New Foundland, and expecting it to be at least $500 cheaper (probably closer to $700 - $800) to drive instead of flying and shipping meat back. It also allows me the option to leave camp early if I tag out before the hunt is scheduled to end.
. Plus you are guaranteed to have your gun and gear with you not laying in a Canadian airport as you are trying to hunt. Seen that happen multiple times.

Wallace

Lil-Rokslider
Plus
. Plus you are guaranteed to have your gun and gear with you not laying in a Canadian airport as you are trying to hunt. Seen that happen multiple times.

Did it a couple of weeks ago ... I won't pretend it's fun, because it's a haul, but I did like it more than flying (I flew 2 years ago). Every ounce of meat made it back, none of my gear was lost, and customs was a breeze going in and out. I set a personal record, 25 hours straight once I pulled off of the ferry, only stopped for gas/food. All solo.

Trial153

WKR
I think I am the only one that enjoys the ride to NL, i think it's a cake walk especially with the ferry to break it up.
If I could fit a Newfoundland hunt in my schedule every year i would.

mooster

WKR
Did it a couple of weeks ago ... I won't pretend it's fun, because it's a haul, but I did like it more than flying (I flew 2 years ago). Every ounce of meat made it back, none of my gear was lost, and customs was a breeze going in and out. I set a personal record, 25 hours straight once I pulled off of the ferry, only stopped for gas/food. All solo.
How was your trip? Any report or photos?

Wallace

Lil-Rokslider
How was your trip? Any report or photos?

Trip went well. Killed a good bull moose with palmation (what I was looking for). Got every ounce of meat back, had no trouble on the ferry, and the outfitter delivered on everything he said he would.

It was one of the hardest stalks of my life. We spotted the bull about 1500 yards away, at least. Only issue, we had to go down the hill/mountain we were on, cross two creeks, a river, climb about 300' straight up, walk through a few bogs, and then climb in elevation about another 500'. Made it to where we glassed him before we lost sight due to the stalk and he was no where to be found. Let out a couple of cow calls, nothing. We take about 3 minutes to gather ourselves, and decide to go left (educated guess on where he might have went). We walk MAYBE 20 yards and see horns about 60 yards away. He's bedded down with a cow. We get in another 20 yards and he starts to look around (can't see his head, just the horns moving back and forth), he pops up, I put scope on him, pull the trigger, and he's down where he was hit. Shot was around 40 yards.

Luckily the camp had J5's to move the animal. The walk out alone was brutal (roughly 5-6 miles round trip, no flat land), it would have been tough packing out.129626

mooster

WKR
Trip went well. Killed a good bull moose with palmation (what I was looking for). Got every ounce of meat back, had no trouble on the ferry, and the outfitter delivered on everything he said he would.

It was one of the hardest stalks of my life. We spotted the bull about 1500 yards away, at least. Only issue, we had to go down the hill/mountain we were on, cross two creeks, a river, climb about 300' straight up, walk through a few bogs, and then climb in elevation about another 500'. Made it to where we glassed him before we lost sight due to the stalk and he was no where to be found. Let out a couple of cow calls, nothing. We take about 3 minutes to gather ourselves, and decide to go left (educated guess on where he might have went). We walk MAYBE 20 yards and see horns about 60 yards away. He's bedded down with a cow. We get in another 20 yards and he starts to look around (can't see his head, just the horns moving back and forth), he pops up, I put scope on him, pull the trigger, and he's down where he was hit. Shot was around 40 yards.

Luckily the camp had J5's to move the animal. The walk out alone was brutal (roughly 5-6 miles round trip, no flat land), it would have been tough packing out.View attachment 129626
Wow congrats, that sounded like a great adventure! Thanks for the follow up.

Luckily the camp had J5's to move the animal. The walk out alone was brutal (roughly 5-6 miles round trip, no flat land), it would have been tough packing out.View attachment 129626
OUTSTANDING Bull!!

Fisherhahn

Lil-Rokslider
Made the drive from Buffalo in 2005. Would love to do it again but not in the budget for a couple more years.

mintonmj

FNG
Looking for a Hunting Partner for Newfoundland Moose hunt. Will be a rifle hunt in the 2020 or 2021 season. I have been there twice solo for moose and have been successful. I'm currently looking at different outfitters, and would consider both drive in or fly in. I live in upstate western NY area, with Buffalo the nearest large city. I would only consider driving verses flying, due to the shipping cost of meat and antlers. If you have always considered going, but have been putting it off, send me a message or post and discuss the hunt.

I’m also planning a NL moose hunt for 2021. I will be driving from Michigan. Please let me know if you are still interested.

mintonmj

FNG
I have been seriously considering a Newfoundland moose hunt. I actually just emailed parsons pond earlier today after hearing about them on a podcast. I live in Delaware and would drive and be happy to carpool. I’m actually sitting in the dealership now having a cap put on my 2500 for hunting purposes. I had figured on a rut hunt but I’m not apposed to a late season hunt either. Is there opportunities for additional hunters during the same time you are going? If interested, maybe you pm me some details.

Matt

Hello, I am also planning a NL moose hunt for 2021. I’ve been doing extensive outfitter research and plan on driving from Michigan. Let me know if you might be interested in partnering up or we could share some details.

Thanks,
Matt