Looking for a long range whitetail pack

What's up everyone? I am looking to either continue my current long range whitetail pack or step into something new. My pack is a medium army ruck that I use to pack in my saddle, sticks, clothes etc. It works, I don't have anything to compare it to, however it works. My replacement pack would need to be much quieter and a touch lighter. It would also have to have the ability to pack out my deer comfortably. I can do that with my current pack, but I think that area could be upgraded. I'd love for the next pack to be modular in a sense that I could swap out a small bag for a larger 2 or 3 day trip bag. I like to bungee strap my platform and sticks to the bag as well as winter outer clothes. Therefore if it has molle loops it gives me multiple anchors to strap in. I'm looking to do a couple mountain whitetail out of state hunts this year and the next coming years. Here's a look at my current setup, what packs should I consider or just keep this rig?
thumbnail_IMG_6875.jpgthumbnail_IMG_6873.jpg

Attachments

• thumbnail_IMG_6876.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_6876.jpg
    121.6 KB · Views: 49
I purchased a used Mystery Ranch Metcalf from the classifieds here. I then purchased a separate Mule Bag. This worked well for me here in SC and AL. I was able to put sticks in the overload shelf with platform. Calls, clothing, etc in the pack bag. If more space needed for clothing or longer back-pack trip, the Metcalf bag would suit fine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FLS

WKR
Eberlestock Mainframe. Most modular pack available. I think it would do exactly what your looking for without breaking the bank. Used mine to pack out a WY muley last year and during CO first rifle elk.

OP
K
Also, looking at your sticks, the Hawk Helium 20” sticks are out. Probably save you some weight there

I love these sticks. I’ve had them since 2008 or 2009. I’m not so much worried about the weight of them. Hawk makes a fine product, however it’s going to take a far superior product and weight reduction to get me to switch. A buddy of mine is looking to get those hawks. I keep telling him to get them now while they are available.

Miboy86

Lil-Rokslider
I'm also a saddle hunter, had the mystery ranch pop up 18 that worked well for everything you've asked, sold it to my buddy cause I found a mystery ranch mule for sale and wanted that style bag, plus I can attach straps on the outside, ordered those just waiting on them to come.

wesfromky

WKR
Kifaru Stryker is what you are looking for. And, check out out on a limb sticks or wild edge steps if you want to drop some weight with the sticks. You can also swap out sticks for aiders to an extent as well, so two sticks can get you to the same height as four sticks.

OP
K
Kifaru Stryker is what you are looking for. And, check out out on a limb sticks or wild edge steps if you want to drop some weight with the sticks. You can also swap out sticks for aiders to an extent as well, so two sticks can get you to the same height as four sticks.
I have some WE steps, one of which i use as part of my opposite side platform. I like to have the ability to move around the tree some. I'm not a huge fan of the steps and rope system. I've seen the videos and tried everything under the sun to make them work. When I set up the WE step is always the longest, tedious, and least favorite part, and then it still slips a touch. I use a loop aider on each stick currently. I can get up to 25ft fairly easy. It seems high, but in the mountain/hill areas I hunt that sometimes get me at a deer's eye level. I figure if I swap out these sticks it will be for the carbon fiber ones to drop my weight in half.

I am also getting into the saddle hunting game but I have been carrying public setup (lock-on, sticks, etc.) with a Mystery Ranch Sawtooth 45. I really like that size for whitetail hunting because you can compress it way down when you don't need the space and it is just large enough to fit my bibs, jackets, and all of my other accessories for the colder hunts with long walks. I actually just bought a Pintler to use on my Guide Light MT frame instead of the sawtooth because I liked the extra organization and external loops for whitetail hunting.

jspradley

WKR
Any frame pack would do well, I started hunting from a saddle last year and use my Kifaru Fulcrum and it works great for packing everything in and will be great for packing out in the unlikely event that I ever kill one of these cracked out TX public land whitetails lol

I've been eying the MR Pop Up 38, it looks like it would be a great pack for that style hunting

I've done a lot with an Eberlestock X2. I think it is an amazing whitetail day pack.

It can haul all sorts of crazy loads. Turkey decoys, whitetail stands, etc. I have a big deer decoy and it also carries that too.

And it has hauled out a lot of whitetail (and 2 moose and 2 caribou).

I'm thinking that an Eberlestock mainframe and bat wings would work even better. But I think that might be overkill for a whitetail day pack
b7f129cf70f0e2a4941f4d4e2c760946.jpg

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

ShaneC

FNG
I am kind of in the same boat as you, but I at times still use a locon. So I would need something to hold a locon and sticks. I was looking at the new sitka pack but I am sure there is a better option out there. I am just not familiar with packs made for out west. My pack is truly my setup weakness.

dkoster02

FNG
I’d definitely recommend the kifaru Stryker, the build quality of the packs is incredible. I’m pretty sure mine will outlive me.

Any of the detachable frame packs would work well for this. Stryker is a neat pack. You could do basically the same with a seek outside revolution frame and merlin pack for about $100 cheaper and over a pound lighter but the stryker is a little "cleaner" in how it would work IMO. Exo and stone glacier also have load shelves that you could use for stand/sticks with their smaller bag options.

Honestly the sitka whitetail packs seem more complicated to get a stand in/out than the above options and I doubt they pack weight as well. They are probably quieter though..

So maybe this is a stupid question but.... How important is having a matching camo pattern on the backpack? To me it seems like the pop up 28 would fit my needs And be ready to pack out if I wander to deep. But I also think about one of the new Sitka packs cause of the matching camo print. I pack I’m sticks and predator platform plus plan to pack in an incinerator suit for the cold gun season in northern mi. Plus all the other needed tools.

KMW

FNG
I purchased a used Mystery Ranch Metcalf from the classifieds here. I then purchased a separate Mule Bag. This worked well for me here in SC and AL. I was able to put sticks in the overload shelf with platform. Calls, clothing, etc in the pack bag. If more space needed for clothing or longer back-pack trip, the Metcalf bag would suit fine

I use this same setup. It works well.

jbrownlow

FNG
check out the exo k3 1800. i have the 4800 for a western trip this fall and love it. looks like the 1800 is a great day pack and would be able to handle your gear (and also meat for when you're successful). they all use the same frame, so you can upgrade to a bigger pack if the opportunity arises.