Looking for a new 9-12 day pack

Sundodger

Lil-Rokslider
Looking for a new pack for early to mid-season mule deer backpack hunts that are generally 9-12 days solo.

I currently have a kifaru duplex timberline 7200 with a duplex frame, and I like it, but there are two things I would like differently:

-When loaded over 65lbs it chafes the small of my back. This really sucks when hauling 125lb pack full of meat and gear.

-It doesn’t have to room to pack out a large mule deer and all my gear in one trip. It’s a little weird because my old external frame pack (that had less advertised cubic inches) I used before this had no problem.

Currently looking at a stone glacier Sky Guide 7900 with an X curve frame. I am hopeful their load shelf would allow me to haul meat of a large mule deer and camp in one trip and their customizable lumbar pad looks promising for lower back chafing relief.

In addition to standard camp/hunt stuff, I have a Nikon ED50 on a small tripod and a bow or rifle that I need to be able to easily haul.

What are people’s thoughts on this Sky Guide 7900 pack?

Other packs I should look at?

Krieg Hetzen

Lil-Rokslider
That’s the pack I bought. So far I’ve had it loaded up to 90lbs and it was super comfortable. Went on a 10 mile hike chasing bears with 54lbs in it on Friday and my only complaint was something my own dumbass did. I didn’t even tighten the straps on either side on the bottom of the pack and the pack would go crooked on the frame. Made it irritating but now I know. What I liked was that I had zero neck issues and that my back, shoulders and hips all felt great. I’ll be using it for a 7 day sheep, 9 day moose/caribou and 10 day elk/deer trip this year. Definitely would recommend.

Marble

WKR
For the chaffing on the back, I would contact Kifaru and ask if they have any thoughts on what the issue is.

Another option for more space is to add a lid and maybe a bag that attaches to the outside. You could get a couple hundred more CI to put stuff in.

1shotgear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
We are big fans of the Sky 7900 for extended back country hunts! The SG packs carry weight better than any other pack we have tested. The 7900 cubic inch bag has plenty of room for any hunt. You can fill it up with more weight than most guys can carry!

OP
S

Sundodger

Lil-Rokslider
That’s the pack I bought. So far I’ve had it loaded up to 90lbs and it was super comfortable. Went on a 10 mile hike chasing bears with 54lbs in it on Friday and my only complaint was something my own dumbass did. I didn’t even tighten the straps on either side on the bottom of the pack and the pack would go crooked on the frame. Made it irritating but now I know. What I liked was that I had zero neck issues and that my back, shoulders and hips all felt great. I’ll be using it for a 7 day sheep, 9 day moose/caribou and 10 day elk/deer trip this year. Definitely would recommend.

We are big fans of the Sky 7900 for extended back country hunts! The SG packs carry weight better than any other pack we have tested. The 7900 cubic inch bag has plenty of room for any hunt. You can fill it up with more weight than most guys can carry!

Guys, thanks for the feedback. Have either of you had meat and camp loaded up in it yet? Weight is not really a problem in my Kifaru other than chafing, it's really the geometry of getting everything in there. Which seems weird for a guy that's an ultra light backpack hunter in September with a 7200ci pack...

For the chaffing on the back, I would contact Kifaru and ask if they have any thoughts on what the issue is.

Another option for more space is to add a lid and maybe a bag that attaches to the outside. You could get a couple hundred more CI to put stuff in.

That is a great thought in these uncertain fiscal times, maybe I will give them a call tomorrow. The real issue that drives being able to put both meat and camp in with my Kifaru vs my old Alaskan is pack interior width. The Kifaru is so narrow that the meat bags climb skyward leaving no room on top for anything. I put my sleep/shelter below the meat in the compartment down there (like I did with my Alaskan), but I have no where to put the food I need to get out, my clothes, jetboil, etc. I am going to need a pretty big extra compartment for all that which adds some weight, and I will be honest the SG being 1lb lighter is very alluring.

Looking for a new pack for early to mid-season mule deer backpack hunts that are generally 9-12 days solo.

I currently have a kifaru duplex timberline 7200 with a duplex frame, and I like it, but there are two things I would like differently:

-When loaded over 65lbs it chafes the small of my back. This really sucks when hauling 125lb pack full of meat and gear.

-It doesn’t have to room to pack out a large mule deer and all my gear in one trip. It’s a little weird because my old external frame pack (that had less advertised cubic inches) I used before this had no problem.

Currently looking at a stone glacier Sky Guide 7900 with an X curve frame. I am hopeful their load shelf would allow me to haul meat of a large mule deer and camp in one trip and their customizable lumbar pad looks promising for lower back chafing relief.

In addition to standard camp/hunt stuff, I have a Nikon ED50 on a small tripod and a bow or rifle that I need to be able to easily haul.

What are people’s thoughts on this Sky Guide 7900 pack?

Other packs I should look at?

Just pull the bag off and replace it with a cargo panel. Put your camp gear in a 55L dry bag. Add a Guide lid and pockets as needed. Done.

image.jpeg

1shotgear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Guys, thanks for the feedback. Have either of you had meat and camp loaded up in it yet? Weight is not really a problem in my Kifaru other than chafing, it's really the geometry of getting everything in there. Which seems weird for a guy that's an ultra light backpack hunter in September with a 7200ci pack...

That is a great thought in these uncertain fiscal times, maybe I will give them a call tomorrow. The real issue that drives being able to put both meat and camp in with my Kifaru vs my old Alaskan is pack interior width. The Kifaru is so narrow that the meat bags climb skyward leaving no room on top for anything. I put my sleep/shelter below the meat in the compartment down there (like I did with my Alaskan), but I have no where to put the food I need to get out, my clothes, jetboil, etc. I am going to need a pretty big extra compartment for all that which adds some weight, and I will be honest the SG being 1lb lighter is very alluring.
The heaviest load I packed out last year with the 7900 was a full mule deer buck and 3 days worth of gear. The Stone Glacier packs carry weight extremelly well! I have not noticed any chaffing or uncomfortable spots. Of course, packs will fit each person differently. I think you would be extremelly happy with the Sky Guide 7900. We have them in stock at 1shotgear.com!

Burtz

Lil-Rokslider
Anyone have experience on either the 44 mag or Hoodlum? Torn between the two.
Thank you