Looking for a new grill-smoker

I picked up a GMG Daniel Boone prime grill about 2 months ago. Absolutely love it. Have cooked steaks, ribs, and recently acquired the pizza stone for amazing homemade pizza. They also have a solid customer outreach. No regrets at all.

16Bore

WKR
Electric smoker is the way to go for me. It doesn’t get much simpler and smoking meat is not that complicated.

Traeger grill is what everyone is buying around may area. I dont own one but have had plenty of deck party where all the food tastes wonderful.

Thoff1989

Lil-Rokslider
The Cabelas model pellet grill seemed like a good deal when I was looking earlier this year but I opted to go with a gas/charcoal combo after using the stainless pellet smoker tubes you can buy for under $20 on amazon. You just need to plan ahead when you want the smoke flavor.

Cubby

WKR
I have a Rectec and love it. Great customer service because you buy direct from them.

Hoot

WKR
I've had a green mountain grill daniel boone for about 5 years, cook on it 1-2 times a week, never had a problem with it....

kickemall

WKR
I did a ton of research and ended up buying a Grilla. Great grill, great support, extremely well made. Having said that if I had to do it again I would probably save money and buy the $700 Traeger Silverton from Costco. More features for a lot less money and although its not nearly built as well as the Grilla it would be fine for how I use it. Your really not going to go wrong with any of them.

Pit Barrel Cooker! It runs on charcoal, the old fashioned way. Hang your meat.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
I would second this. Also have a pit boss that really struggles to hold lower smoking temps for longer cooks (pork butt, brisket, etc). It works great at higher temps.

tgus59

Lil-Rokslider
I love my Green Mountain, but I dont think I could argue with someone who did a cheap electric Masterbuilt, and spent the rest on a dedicated grill.

sndmn11

WKR
which way did you go? No wrong answer on that one
The Yoder was available locally, and I think many trips to that store annoyed them enough to give me the cover, two piece diffuser, and ten bags of pellets at no charge. I ordered the cast iron griddle online, and we grill on the ridged side of that. It can get to 700deg in about 15 minutes on the internal thermometer thing.

My wife wasn't too keen on a big silver grill. She liked the Yoder warranty. I thought the wifi would be cool. I wasn't sure about having the cooking zones permanent on the PG500.

We are to the point my in our lives where it matters to us to not buy short term items. Our previous was a propane grill handed down from my parents that was falling apart, and a vertical electric masterbuilt. I hated the idea of buying something for $500-$1k and watching it slowly bent bent or degrading to where you need to buy another in several years. If I didn't buy USA made, I would have gotten a camp chef woodwind and planned to replace it in 5 years.

Last edited:

elkyinzer

WKR
Pellet grill summary:

They don't replace a good gas grill because they don't get hot enough to sear. Most foods that applies to are better cooked on a flat top/skillet anyway.

They aren't a good smoker because they kinda blend direct and indirect heat, and have a convection effect that dries things out without a foil crutch.

They are more convenient than a wood/coal smoker and I don't hesitate to fire mine up when I am pinched for time or feeling lazy.

I am about 5 months into owning a GMG Daniel Boone EZ Bake Oven. Overall I do like it but it's not the end all be all of grills. It's about what I expected going in expectation management is everything in life.

It's a jack of some trades, master of none...well maybe ease of use. It smokes kinda, but not really. Adequate for home results...again, expectation management, but it's not top notch BBQ by any means. Not knocking anyones pride just my opinion.

It doesn't really do direct heat, doesn't sear at all, but it grills at midrange temps pretty nicely while adding a dainty wisp of smoke flavor. I wouldn't even think of doing a steak or burger on it but YMMV as far as what you expect out of those foods. It does chicken pretty well. Has hot and cold spots, like most any grill at that price point, but is an added hassle for larger batches of food.

Brand differentiation in my perspective, pick one. Pellet grill is a pellet grill, it's pretty much a ford vs. chevy issue. The different add ons and peripheral features there are some differences and the pizza oven was why I went with GMG.

My favorite part of it is probably the pizza attachment and even that is a bit finicky with temp, definitely need an infared temp gun and some micromanaging to get consistent results.

Another thing I really like is smoking fish at low temps without having to babysit the wood and airflow as much as I would on my drum smoker.

My only other complaint, and this is something I probably need to check with GMG CS with...last week I was doing a low and slow + sear at the end on some chicken thighs. I've done it probably a dozen times. Last week when I did that, I jacked the temp up, walked off for a few, and returned to the grill absolutely filled with this acrid black smoke. To me it pretty much ruined the chicken, I have a really sensitive taste for that. My wife and inlaws thought it was good somehow so I guess its just something I have a sensitive taste for. I was near the the of the bag of pellets so I think that dust in the bottom may have caused the issue.

Last edited:

JohnIrish

FNG
I have an electric smoker.... I wanted another grill.. so I looked at pellet grills but wanted something to sear steaks. I decided to get a Kamado Jo ... it can really sear steaks, smoke, etc. It takes more watching but that is part of the fun. The first time I went to sear a steak... my tongs were not long enough! Just way too HOT. LOL. I just finished some pulled pork that turned out great. I use lump charcoal.