Looking for a new grill-smoker

NCSU_Lewis

Lil-Rokslider
I have a Z grill and wouldn't buy another, just isn't very consistent or well made. Having cooked on that and a Kamado Joe, I love the versatility of an egg grill. I reverse seared some ~2" ribeyes and went from smoking temp to 700+ sear temp in about 10 minutes.

IL Red

FNG
My mind tells me that those pellets have to have some sort of chemical adhesive to hold the wood chips or sawdust together. That's what is keeping me away.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

fatlander

WKR
Having cooked on that and a Kamado Joe, I love the versatility of an egg grill. I reverse seared some ~2" ribeyes and went from smoking temp to 700+ sear temp in about 10 minutes.

This is the right answer here. Kamado style grills really can do it all. I saw a Joe same size as a large big green egg at Cabelas the other for around 800 bucks with the nest and wings. Not a terrible deal.

I’m a huge fan of the big green egg. My dad, FIL and I all have one. I can smoke briskets or butts all day long or I can get the grill 750 degrees and sear a stake like no ones business. And it runs on real wood chunks, not saw dust.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

SWOHTR

WKR
This is the right answer here. Kamado style grills really can do it all. I saw a Joe same size as a large big green egg at Cabelas the other for around 800 bucks with the nest and wings. Not a terrible deal.

I’m a huge fan of the big green egg. My dad, FIL and I all have one. I can smoke briskets or butts all day long or I can get the grill 750 degrees and sear a stake like no ones business. And it runs on real wood chunks, not saw dust.

Agreed. I do pizza on ours every week at 600+, only downside is the amount of gaskets you burn through.

Sharpsman

FNG
I was wanting a Traeger because that’s what the cool kids were pushing. By total surprise I ended up with a pit boss pro for Christmas. It has been absolutely amazing the quality of food has been excellent it will get plenty hot to sear and the warranty is better than Traeger. I couldn’t be happier with it and it’s used at least 3 days a week or more

Sharpsman

FNG
One more thing,no matter what brand you go with make sure it has exterior shelves. Exterior shelves are like shop space. There’s no such thing as to much

I’m a BGE guy through and through. It can do everything from cold smoking cheeses to searing a tomahawk ribeye to cooking a pizza in 90 seconds. I use mine mostly for smoking at low temps (ribs and pork butt) or grilling steaks (typically above 700). Insulation on ceramic Kamado style grills is superior to anything else I’ve seen and won’t kill you using up charcoal.

Pick a color, I have had Traeger and Green mountain. There were things that I liked about them and things that I didn't but they pretty much all do the same thing.... If i were to do it again, I would consider a camp chef also.

Set aside a little in the budget to buy a small shop vac also, they are awesome to have to vacuum out the ashes.

Bubba94

Lil-Rokslider
My Pit Boss Pro has been fantastic.