Looking for a new mid weight top

Jon Boy

WKR
Looking for a new general purpose top to wear over a long sleeve merino shirt. I've had the klamath and hated the hood, had a chama and had buddies with them over multiple sizes and the sizes weren't consistent and the durability lacked. Loved the hood on it though.
I'm wondering what's out there for non hunting brands? How are the kuiu merino hoodies? I want a loose fitting hood and a fairly loose fit, the klamath was too form fitting. Either merino or fleece works for me. I'll be wearing it under a light weight down jacket for earlier on and adding a fl puffy later in the season.
Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Jon
I’ve been researching the same thing and think I will order the Peleton 97 hoodie. Seems to be a good choice with good reviews on here also.

Fl halstead is still one of my favorites but I like hoods.

Patagonia R1 hoodie and Sitka fanatic hoodie in black are my go to midlayers now.

1shotgear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Looking for a new general purpose top to wear over a long sleeve merino shirt. I've had the klamath and hated the hood, had a chama and had buddies with them over multiple sizes and the sizes weren't consistent and the durability lacked. Loved the hood on it though.
I'm wondering what's out there for non hunting brands? How are the kuiu merino hoodies? I want a loose fitting hood and a fairly loose fit, the klamath was too form fitting. Either merino or fleece works for me. I'll be wearing it under a light weight down jacket for earlier on and adding a fl puffy later in the season.
Thanks!

I couldn't agree more with you First Lite's chama hoody great but a little tight for me and just could not with stand the hell I put it threw I went threw two of them. I really think you should take a look at the Fanatic hoody or Sitka's new Kelvin Active Hoody i'm telling you this thing is amazing I run the merino light weight under it and it is awesome no bulk from sleeves and the comfort of this thing will blow you away not tight at all as well as this thig will breath and keep you that just right amount warmth when needed for not being heavy at all really a game changer in my line up of hoodys. I really didn't like it at first site but after using it man killer love it. Really take a look at those items and let me know if you have any other questions on anything else give me a call or shoot me a message.

Smallie

Lil-Rokslider
Can’t go wrong with the 97 Peloton. Very versatile and extremely comfortable I wear one almost daily and have one for hunting.

I’ve been using Sitka Gears Apex hoodie and don’t think I’ve not warn it on a single hunt this whole year. Amazing piece of gear

kipper09

WKR
I have a 97 peleton and I like it but it’s not loose fitting. It’s pretty form fitting. I think the arcteryx naga hoody may be a decent option here. I have one of them too and it fits a little looser. It’s a little heavier but I like it a lot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bigharge

WKR
Love my kiln, its what I have on most of the time just because of how comfortable it is imo. You can get it with or without the hood if you have a preference. Also I would second the R1 if you are looking outside of hunting brands, I had one of those in the past and really liked it. The pelotons just never did much for me, im just not a big fan of that material for some reason, but it works for a lot of guys.

Take a look at the Peloton 240. Handles a significantly wider range of conditions than a Merino hoody or a regular waffle grid fleece hoody like the Sitka heavyweight or first lite because it blocks most wind and still breathes. I wear one over a ss wick 150 most of the time and when it’s hot but too cold for a t shirt I wear the peloton 97 and then when it’s too cold later in the year I wear the peloton 97 with the 240. Prettymuch beginning of bow season in MT through November I have the 240 with me or on me and then I layer up for December through February with the jet stream over the 240 and 97 if I need it.

tspittmon

FNG
I will third the Patagonia R1. They are very well made and very warm for the little weight they are. I have one in black and love the fit of that thing. I also have one without the hood, quarter zip, that gets worn all year. I would recommend that if you move away from a hunting brand.

OP
Jon Boy

Jon Boy

WKR
Thanks for all the suggestions! I'm going to check out the Sitka and khou options. Forsnt the Patagonia r1 have a very similar hood as the klamath? Super tight fitting?

Also has any one tried the Patagonia fleece hooded better sweater?

Thanks for all the suggestions! I'm going to check out the Sitka and khou options. Forsnt the Patagonia r1 have a very similar hood as the klamath? Super tight fitting?

Also has any one tried the Patagonia fleece hooded better sweater?

Not the hooded better sweater but I can tell you I’ve never worn a colder fleece even half as thick as the better sweater. For some reason mine is really drafty (too open of a weave) and I’m cold in it a lot when I really shouldn’t be. Also fits a little weird with big waist coMpared to the rest of the fleece. My friend does like his but mine is very cold and not very useful

OP
Jon Boy

Jon Boy

WKR
Just ordered the new filson 400g merino hoody. I'll let you guys know how it turns out

RCL

WKR
I love the Patagonia R1 with hood, but the better sweater not so much.
Just seems heavy to me for the warmth it provides.