Looking for a new pack and have it narrowed down to Kifaru Muskeg 7000, Hyperlite Mountain Gebukkake ar Porter 5400 and Hill People Gear Qui-Ya

OP
M

mikekry

FNG
Cng, I have a very low base weight but I also carry in more than 15 pounds of camera gear because I have a large full frame camera, three heavy lenses and many batteries and battery packs. I also bring in a GoPro and associated accessories. I also eat about 1.5 pounds of food per day so over 14 days that is about 21 pounds of food. I also carry fishing gear with me which varies in weight depending if I bring in my waders and number of poles and reels.

fatlander

WKR
That’s going to be a heavy pack pack. Buy all 3, load them up, and take them for a short stroll. I’m sure at least one is going to be heads and tails above another in comfort. Return the two you like the least. That’s the only way to really know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mlgc20

WKR
Cng, I have a very low base weight but I also carry in more than 15 pounds of camera gear because I have a large full frame camera, three heavy lenses and many batteries and battery packs. I also bring in a GoPro and associated accessories. I also eat about 1.5 pounds of food per day so over 14 days that is about 21 pounds of food. I also carry fishing gear with me which varies in weight depending if I bring in my waders and number of poles and reels.
IMO, that weight would be miserable in an HMG pack. Again, not bashing HMG. Their stuff has always been high quality and if I were doing a thru hike they would be on my short list. But, their packs just can't handle heavy loads as well as other packs.

If you live near an REI, I would suggest having HMG 4400 sent to your local store. It has the same stated weight capacity as the 5400. Drop 50 pounds in it and walk around the store. My guess is that exercise would lead you in a different direction.

What is your total pack weight going to be when you leave your car the first day of your 14 day trip?

Lots of packs can carry 40 pounds just fine.

Most can carry 50 pounds comfortably for short periods of time.

For me personally I really notice the difference in comfort on the packs when carrying over 50 pounds for extended periods of time(over 2 hours straight with no breaks).

With the stuff you listed I’m guessing your pack will be well over 50lbs. Out of the packs you listed, I have used the kifaru. It is designed really well for carrying 50 pound plus’s loads for extended periods of time. I routinely do 2 hour hikes with 60-70lbs. Lots of other packs I have had would make that extremely miserable.

WRM

WKR
Unless you are a "weight weenie" (and it doesn't sound like you are), I too say drop the HMG. Frameless Packs = sucky packing experience. There are just too many good, light packs with frames and load lifters to put yourself through the misery of trying to "get by" with gear made for people who debate gear in GRAMS not ounces.

Of the three, the HPG seems to tick your boxes. I love the Prairie belt, so, to me, that is a "savings" from another pack because I would be buying it anyway to swap belts.

Last edited:

WRM

WKR
I don't know the answer to that question--never owned a Kifaru frame. If the Kifaru belt is a captured style, then I'm sure you can. No doubt someone has tried. Check the Kifaru and HPG forums. If you have no ass and super narrow hips (like me) that belt is money. Once you get it set right above your hip bones, it is not coming down absent a bear trying to make a snack of you. I was stoked when I found out EXO changed the belt on the K3 to a captured style. I had an early model and it didn't have that, but my old K2 would let me run it. I ordered the new capture portion for the K3, and now I've finally got my prairie on it.

See thread

Kifaru with HPG harness​

it is reported the Prairie belt will run on a Kifaru belt/frame.

Last edited:

akAbe

FNG
I wouldn't be afraid of the HMG, especially for your use case. I've got a ton of time under one, and if they fit you well they will carry a lot of weight quite well, especially if you pay attention to how you pack. I've hauled >80lbs(science is fun!) in a HMG 3400, definitely not recommended, but I would say that if you're average load is under 40 and your max load isn't much over 55 you would still be happy with it. That being said, I also own a Seek Outside pack, and I would seriously look into them if I were you. A fair bit less money than the kifaru, lighter than the kifaru, carries weight better than the HMG, more customizable fit than the HMG, and just as waterproof as both. I'll never buy a pack made of non-waterproof material again, for me its less about keeping the contents dry, and more about the pack itself not soaking up moisture, gaining a bunch of weight and soaking me for days after it gets wet.

akAbe

FNG
Something to keep in mind when looking at the HMG packs is that their volume measurement are only the interior volume of the pack, so while 5400 porter is 85L, any of the pocketed 4400 packs have over 80L of usable volume as well.