Looking for a new pack....I'm a noob

Hey guys been diving into some of the topics on the forum here and there. I've decided I want to go with a kifaru set up. But I'm a young guy with a young family so money isn't a plenty here. Looking to shop around and find deals to piece a pack together. Not sure exactly what is going to be ideal set up for me. I haven't backpack hunted before mostly just base camp hunting/hike from the truck day hunts. But I really am wanting to do a backpack hunt for 2020. Going to start small with a 3-4 day hunt here in Wyoming haven't 100% decided if we are doing muley or elk but know we are going backpacking to do it. We will be doing it in Sept archery hunting and hopefully great weather so we won't have to bring too much clothing. I'm 5'10" and from what I read on sizing I need a 26" frame, and 34" waist so I need a medium belt? Just want to make sure I'm correct from guys that know kifaru. Probably should just give those guys a call but I feel a little dirty wanting to buy used to save some money. Thanks in advance for any input and help! Hope every had a great 2019 season! I know I did!

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Marble

WKR
You need to go back packing for 3-4 days and then evaluate your gear afterwards. You'll learn a lot by doing this.

For the pack, getting something big enough to carry you're camp and meat. My suggestion is around 6500ci for camp and meat.

Buy once, cry once.

W1bowo

Lil-Rokslider
You need to go back packing for 3-4 days and then evaluate your gear afterwards. You'll learn a lot by doing this.

For the pack, getting something big enough to carry you're camp and meat. My suggestion is around 6500ci for camp and meat.

Buy once, cry once.
+1
BB.jpg

rbljack

WKR
I have the kifaru reckoning, and my wife uses the woodsman. If you keep an eye out on the classifies, and are set on the kifaru line, you should be able to find a pack and frame at a decent value. I really like the reckoning for day hunting and have used it on a few backpack hunts as well. Its worked well for me. Because they came out with the hooligan and a few other new packs...some guys are either trading up or selling and getting newer packs. Keep an eye out. I haven't used one, but am really eyeing up the new exo K3 frame and pack set up. There system for carrying the meat in between the bag and frame looks pretty slick (and faster to use than the kifaru). I have no hands on experience with it though. For the belt size, best thing to do would be to call them.

LightFoot

WKR

Buy once, cry once.
This ^^^^

I am not a Kifaru guy, but I believe they make great products.

You don't know what you "need" until you need it. Like alot of the other guys here, I have spent a ton of money on what I thought I needed. It takes many hunts to dial in your gear.

>>>----JAKE----->

oldhorse

WKR

Buy once, cry once.
Sound advice! Getting your extended day backpack setup dialed in before the hunt is a big advantage. You can do this and scout your intended hunting unit simultaneously .

Outlaw99

WKR
I’ve got a 26” bikini frame with a medium belt for sale on the classified right now

OP
W
Thanks guys. We are definitely going to be making a few scouting trips over the summer to dial things in.

OP
W
Well I got a great deal on a exo k2 3500. Pretty excited to get it and run it in 2020!

nphunter

WKR
I have the kifaru reckoning, and my wife uses the woodsman. If you keep an eye out on the classifies, and are set on the kifaru line, you should be able to find a pack and frame at a decent value. I really like the reckoning for day hunting and have used it on a few backpack hunts as well. Its worked well for me. Because they came out with the hooligan and a few other new packs...some guys are either trading up or selling and getting newer packs. Keep an eye out. I haven't used one, but am really eyeing up the new exo K3 frame and pack set up. There system for carrying the meat in between the bag and frame looks pretty slick (and faster to use than the kifaru). I have no hands on experience with it though. For the belt size, best thing to do would be to call them.
The exo bag fits nicely on the Kifaru frame!!