Looking for a new tent.

Vector32

Lil-Rokslider
Hello guys. I am kinda new here and new to backpack style hunting. I am looking for a 1 man tent with a fly cover big enough to keep my pack and bow in. I found this one. Has anyone used this or have any feedback on it?

Eureka Amari Pass Solo
Code: 2629061

color:
MSRP: $129.90
Price: $119.90 Hassle Free Returns Delivery Time Map 100% Satisfaction
Guaranteed LOW PRICE Guarantee

Thanks Vector32

Pretty heavy.

Theres a lot of 2-man tents out there lighter than that one, than you dont need a vestibule, you can bring all your gear inside if hunting solo.

Check out the mont-bell Crescent 2. I just picked one up. Although I havent used it yet, it looks like it should work pretty slick. Although I wish it were free standing.

check out msr hubba 1 man, and hubba hubba 2 man, i have the hubba, it was perfect for me, light and fast to set up and break down. the hubba is around 250.00 the hubba hubba is around 320.00.

mtmiller

WKR
I have a BA Copper Spur UL1 that I really like. Freestanding, floor, vestibule and less than #3's. I like the vestibule for muddy boots and wet gear. Plenty of room inside and I have shared it with the pup without issues.

I did pickup a Black Diamond HiLight, but haven't tried this single walled yet.

Check out the Big Agnes Slater UL1 and UL2 as well.

Lighter and more floor space the than Seedhouse.

Snyd

WKR
Most of us tend to recommend what we have and if we like it that means it fits our needs. But, what are your needs besides what you list? What kind of terrain and weather are you going to be in? Are you doing the overnighter close to the truck or are you packing in 10-20 miles? Are you willing to carry and extra 1.5-2 lbs for a bomber tent that will handle snow load and high wind if pitched above treeline at say 6-12000ft? Or, are you only going to be using it in mid sept at lower elevation and never above treeline? Do you want one (do it all) tent or are you willing to buy different tents for different uses?

You can go from a simple tarp up to a Hilleberg Soulo depending on what you need and are willing to carry.

For a dedicated shelter above treeline 10-20 miles from the road for an 8-10 day hunt I personally am willing to carry an extra pound or 2 for a bomber shelter. I prefer a 4 season, freestanding, double wall tent. But, that's what fits my mtn sheep hunting here in Alaska. Where are you hunting?

littlebuf

Banned
no love for tarp tents on here, that's kind of surprising. check out BPL.com theres always tents for sale on there classifieds

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
no love for tarp tents on here, that's kind of surprising. check out BPL.com theres always tents for sale on there classifieds

Hey now,

I still have and use my Contrail! It is the most fully featured per ounce tent I have used. Excellent tent.

2011Scoutcamp.jpg

luke moffat

Super Moderator
I personally am willing to carry an extra pound or 2 for a bomber shelter. I prefer a 4 season, freestanding, double wall tent. But, that's what fits my mtn sheep hunting here in Alaska. Where are you hunting?

Don't ya mean an extra 5-6 pounds? I know I know....right now I split a 2.5 pound shelter with another guy vs. you splittings a 9 pound shelter so its 1.25 pounds per person vs. 4.5 per person is only like 3.25 just razzin' ya ;)

But you are right, need to know one's need, wants, and experiences, where and how they are hunting, and what they are looking for in a tent to really nail much down. 3 season vs. 4 season, single vs. double wall, floored vs. floorless, free standing vs. not freestanding....so many options which is AWESOME. Be boring if we all used the same tent...what would we be left to discuss. :D

Whisky

WKR

Scarp 1, 4 season, double wall, 2 vestibules, pretty much bomb proof, and 3 lbs.....Pretty solid single man tent IMO.

IMG_0810.jpg

Snyd

WKR
Don't ya mean an extra 5-6 pounds? I know I know....right now I split a 2.5 pound shelter with another guy vs. you splittings a 9 pound shelter so its 1.25 pounds per person vs. 4.5 per person is only like 3.25 just razzin' ya ;)

But you are right, need to know one's need, wants, and experiences, where and how they are hunting, and what they are looking for in a tent to really nail much down. 3 season vs. 4 season, single vs. double wall, floored vs. floorless, free standing vs. not freestanding....so many options which is AWESOME. Be boring if we all used the same tent...what would we be left to discuss. :D

:D I love every pound of it's cozy, warm, double wall, dbl vesty, windproof, pitch it where I want Bunker. In fact I'd say its... BunkerLiscious :D

I'll probably end up with a tipi at some point or maybe a Sawtooth like you and Stid used on Kodiak, it looks good in the high wind video. Especially with the stove. But I keep thinking of the snowstorms I've just missed by getting out of the mtns in the nick of time and the rain/windstorms I've weathered. Or when I remember my buddies story of getting caught in a 3 day snow storm in the Wrangells in early August that literally blew him down the mountain in his TNF tent, broken poles, wrapped up like a cocoon (that trip ended with a beacon and helicoptor). I come back this...Which one would I want to be in at 5000ft, 10-20 miles from the truck/strip in a storm for a few days. peace

first 2 pics are not mine but you get the idea
tipiSnow_zps9dead128.jpg

hillie_snow.jpg

coffee time! let it blow!!
tarra_06.jpg

Whisky

WKR
Another vote for the trap tent scarp 1..... But I'm thinking about going floorless

You and me both.... The Scarp is a great tent, and they certainly have their place, but I see the value in owning a good floorless as well. They both serve a purpose. We'll see how I feel after a season with both.

jolemons

WKR
This is the only picture I could find of my Tarptent. I have the Moment and it has weathered far more nasty stuff than I would have anticipated. I hunt rocky desert sometimes, or else I'd be running with the Contrail that BRB pictured above. Second the BPL classifieds, they're always trading them around.

View attachment 7176View attachment 7176

Hardstalk

WKR
I may get blasted for this. But have you looked at catoma tents? I have spoke with them many times and there good people. Just havent pulled the trigger on a tent. I wanted to buy one and give it away for the business in the agreement that we get a full hardcore review of it. Sub 2lb floored with stakes and poles. Kinda my style.

http://www.catomaoutdoor.com/Catalog/ProductInfo.aspx?id=192