Looking for a Pan Head for Binoculars - Outdoorsman really the only game in town?

ELKhunter60

Lil-Rokslider
Hey Guys,

I thought I'd post a thread asking for opinions on Binocular panheads. I know Outdoorsman makes a good one......for $400. When I look around for other options, it seems like there isn't much information out there. At the end of the day I'll pay for good, reliable gear. If I need to buy an Outdoorsman in order to do that I will - but if anybody has experience with something that works well at a lower price point - I'd like to hear about it. Thank you!

pbcarch

WKR
I Hear ya...spent a ton researching and wanted a light , sturdy panning head that I could also easily get into my pack.
I ended up going with a RRS BH-30 ball head that has panning capability. It’s really compact and light. Seems to work well for what I needed but it wasn’t cheap 295 + 50 for each quick detach
Paul

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Use code Randy for 10% off

It's a awesome setup. I did a bunch of research and Jay scott talked about it alot on his podcast and how good it is.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

tdhanses

WKR
If you mainly use binos and a 65mm spotter the micro pan head from outdoorsman rocks and isn’t 400. That said I prefer the Outdoorsman Pistol grip head with a panner attachment. I have used an 80mm spotter on the micro and it worked fine imo but others can be picky and not like it for the bigger optics.

Personally I think Outdoorsman is hard to beat.

Both the micro and pistol are on sale or where at least.

dbransco

FNG
Would definitely look at Really Right Stuff. It’s expensive, but nothing really compares.

boom

WKR
as much as i wish i "lived the life", i just dont hunt as much as i imagine i do.

i run a Vanguard PanHead. PH- something. the thing is pretty spectacular. i push my glass around with my face.

jmav58

WKR
as much as i wish i "lived the life", i just dont hunt as much as i imagine i do.

i run a Vanguard PanHead. PH- something. the thing is pretty spectacular. i push my glass around with my face.
I've got the vanguard PH111 panhead. Bought it off camofire with the tripod for around $70 i think.

I’ve been using the Promaster SPCH20 that came with my tripod, pans real nice with both binos and a spotter. They run about $90 by themselves. I just put my outdoorsman adapter on an arca Swiss plate, works great.

Tman24

Lil-Rokslider
I've been wanting to get an outdoorsmans, the price and the fact that it's not a fluid panner have me on the fence. I've heard that it gets pretty gritty feeling after a while.

Love the VA-5 fluid head, no way you will be disappointed with the functionality of it or the value. Downside is obvious, it’s pretty bulky and a little on the heavy side.

HuntHarder

WKR
Classified Approved
I've been wanting to get an outdoorsmans, the price and the fact that it's not a fluid panner have me on the fence. I've heard that it gets pretty gritty feeling after a while.

That is why I sold both of my outdoorsman heads. Non-fluid and in dusty dirty climates they start to get gritty..

Fitzwho

WKR
I’ve had the Outdoorsman’s pistol head for a couple years. I added the quick release planner this year. I hunt a lot of dusty country. Heck, just live in it. I haven’t had an issue with grit, and if you do, they are serviceable.

I'll add the Benro S2 to the mix.. Had a vanguard ph-111 and upgraded to the benro and its a huge improvement. Couple different sponsors here sell it for under $75. It pans smoothly, locks solid, no image shift on locking, doesnt stick after locking for an extended period of time, and has arca style plates.

Only complaint is that the handle is insanely long, but its easily cut down.

WTFJohn

WKR
The Jim White 2.0 head (from Outdoorsmans) has been great for me with 10x binos, a 65mm spotter, and a shooting V for my rifle. Still up there in price, but it beats the other two cheaper heads I have used by a long shot.

Currently run, and have for the past several years, a Manfrotto. $90.

Zero issues glassing with Swaro SLC 15, Swaro STX 65 & 95. No issues with Outdoorsmans Shooting V as well as Triclawps.

With that said, I do want the Jim White 2.0 but due to laziness haven't done it.

I use a Manfrotto 290 Xtra Aluminum 3-Section Tripod with Fluid Video Head and mounted a Bog Pod binocular mount on that so i can easily pan a valley with my 15x binos and then switch them out for my spotter. The Manfrotto isn't as light as some tripods but it is more than stable enough for my Meostar S2-82 spotter. The total set up for the tripod and video head to pan with cost around $180. I know there are nicer setups out there but for the price this has worked out great for me.