Looking For A Sewing Machine

BoTheHunter

Lil-Rokslider
I bought a singer touch tronic 2010, and i sewed a couple stitches. But then, it stopped working. I cannot get it to thread anymore. So, i am looking for a cheap seeing machone that someone wants to get rid of. I want to start making my own gear. I want something tough and that can sew a couple layers of webbing. Something like an okd singer or something.

Wrench

WKR
I bought a calanda which is a Japanese pfaff. It's able to sew through 10 layers of carhartt or canvas and leather without issues. I paid $100 and feel like I stole it.

Lwilliams

Lil-Rokslider
Secondhand stores and thrift shops generally have plenty of sewing machines for sale

Pierrebuiltknives

Lil-Rokslider
I use old Singers. Try pawn shops and church sewing groups.
I totally agree. I forgot the singer model but they sew like a top and you can get them for 20 to 100 normally.

I have a pfaff 145 from pre www that I have had since 20 and I am 36 now. It probably sewed 1,000,000 miles before I got it and paid for a small house off what I made with it. I paid 1800 for this one since it is a industrial.

Wacko

Lil-Rokslider
Older machines are definitely better. However, depending on the machine, it may need a tune up. Some you can do yourself, others you‘ll probably want to take to a shop. So plan on adding that to your budget.

shopgoodwill.com has quite a few machines to look at. Most can be shipped. Read the descriptions though.

Also, local craigslist will have quite a few. An advantage there is usually you can try it first.

Alot of this depends on what you want to try and make. Some machines will do heavier materials, others will do more stitches. Getting one that can “do” both is challenging. Remember, most things can be put together just fine with a straight stitch.

Brand wise singer probably still has the most support. Pfaff can be good, but not necessarily supported as well, and sometimes $$ to get parts if you need them. Kenmore are good. Viking, bernina etc all can be good....do some due dilligence before you buy.

good luck!

Wacko

Lil-Rokslider
I should add, before you spend $$ on say a pfaff 130 (I’ve seen them as high as $300)...dont overlook a used industrial machine. Often times they are “cheaper to run” than a home machine. Usually have good support and can be great. Almost everything on an industrial can be replaced, except for the head body of course.

I have both....home machines and an industrial

YMMV

nodakian

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I was mistaken on my machine brand. I have Kenmores, not Singers. (My first machine was my moms early 1960s Singer but I sold it a few years ago.) My wife picked up these Kenmores for $20 each from a church sewing club. One is for sewing webbing and material, and it will punch through 1/16” HDPE with a couple layers of fabric and webbing. The other stays ready to run grosgrain. I build packs for kids, frame and all, so they get a good workout.

I’m on the lookout for an industrial machine because home machines don’t have enough foot pressure to work through padding.

DB023C23-2575-4073-932A-9BD9EA0588E2.jpeg67630255-BE79-4126-8E0E-AB4CEF5C5D3A.jpeg

OP
BoTheHunter

BoTheHunter

Lil-Rokslider
Hey guys, it's been a while since I've been on the site. I recently discovered the hand crank leather sewing machine from Amazon. You guys should check it out! It's only $90 bucks and it can sew through anything! I dude on YouTube sewed through a tire with it. I'm going to get this fro my heavy duty projects! Thanks for the replies!

Mosby

WKR
Just as an fyi, local sewing shops that sell and repair sewing machines often have trade ins for sale. Normally they have been cleaned and oiled and you have a place to get them repaired going forward. I was in a shop recently and they had several for sale that were in extremely good condition.

OP
BoTheHunter

BoTheHunter

Lil-Rokslider
Just as an fyi, local sewing shops that sell and repair sewing machines often have trade ins for sale. Normally they have been cleaned and oiled and you have a place to get them repaired going forward. I was in a shop recently and they had several for sale that were in extremely good condition.
I looked and there isn't any shops near my area sadly.

Mosby

WKR
There is a store call Sewingmachinesplus out of Florida that sells machines and offers free shipping. Their prices are hard to beat and they sell all name brand stuff. My wife sews a lot and I bought her a machine from these guys last year that has been great. They also sell used machines. I would buy from them again. Something to look at if you don't have a local shop.

Pfaff 130 or 230. I have a 230, the thing must weigh 35 pounds. I have sewn all sorts of heavy fabric with it including buckskin, though I would not recommend a steady diet of buckskin/leather.

Macegl

Lil-Rokslider
Hey guys, it's been a while since I've been on the site. I recently discovered the hand crank leather sewing machine from Amazon. You guys should check it out! It's only $90 bucks and it can sew through anything! I dude on YouTube sewed through a tire with it. I'm going to get this fro my heavy duty projects! Thanks for the replies!

Wow, thanks for the heads up, those look awesome!

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I was mistaken on my machine brand. I have Kenmores, not Singers. (My first machine was my moms early 1960s Singer but I sold it a few years ago.) My wife picked up these Kenmores for $20 each from a church sewing club. One is for sewing webbing and material, and it will punch through 1/16” HDPE with a couple layers of fabric and webbing. The other stays ready to run grosgrain. I build packs for kids, frame and all, so they get a good workout.

I’m on the lookout for an industrial machine because home machines don’t have enough foot pressure to work through padding.

I started on a similar kenmore as well, still use it for a few things but mostly a walking foot industrial now. Yes I'd recommend picking one up, aside from the foot pressure the stitch consistency is much nicer and also your speed will increase once you get used to it. Sewing faster which you can taylor if running a servo, needle positioner to stop bottom dead center is quite handy and also the knee lift presser foot (which feels weird then going back to the kenmore hand lift). Before you released your kids frames I had said about the only time I foresaw trying to bother with a frame is to fit something to my kids in the future, thanks for doing the leg work I'll just pick up your frame in the future to not bother messing with new materials/processes/etc. :)