Looking for a Stiff Boot

Vaultman

WKR
Title says it.... Mainly looking for a summer boot, as I have the hunting boots figured out. I have been wearing a lightweight, non-stiff Solomon boot, and is have become apparent that it is time for me to get a stiffer boot. What are some brands that make a good stiff hiking boot. Being this is for summer hiking / conditioning I am not wanting any insulation for this either.

Lowg08

WKR
Scarpa ZG lite. I went from a Solomon to the scarpa. It’s a medium stiff not to stiff but it’s a great boot

Andrew11

Lil-Rokslider
I have been happy with Schnees. But boots are pretty personal. What fits good for one guy might not for another.

Pasayten

FNG
Crispi has a nice selection of boots. I have the wild rocks and the non insulated guides. I like a 10" boot but they have a lot of really good options. Love my Crispi's though. I used to wear Lowas Tibets but they are just a touch narrow for my foot. Great boot though as well, short and tall versions.

OP
Vaultman

Vaultman

WKR
I have been happy with Schnees. But boots are pretty personal. What fits good for one guy might not for another.
Exactly! and precisely why I am trying to find out what options are out there.

Thanks to those posted. If there are others please keep 'em coming.

I have some Hanwag Alaskans that are pretty stinking stiff and I love them for the rocky stuff I hunt.

Last edited:

go_deep

WKR
I use a Danner 453 GTX for work. I get about 2 years out of them and they have a hardend foot bed in them which makes them great for hiking, rocks, or ladder work.

Crispi Briksdal is a good boot. I have the Briksdal SF which is the stiffest they make, but that has some insulation- not a problem in Alaska since it’s never summer!

If you want a truly stiff boot you need to look at legit mountaineering lines- Scarpa, La Sportiva are popular for that. My experience is Scarpa is narrower. Some have NO flex, helps with crampons etc.

for me it hurts my feet on flat ground with a super stiff boot. Steep Mountains, snow etc is a completely different story. That’s why many will have separate approach shoes....

Rodéo

WKR
I run Scarpa R-Evo GTX on warm hunts and Lowa Tibets for everything else. The tibets are slightly more stiff but not by much. I really enjoy hiking/hunting in both of those boots.

Copen1822

Lil-Rokslider
Check out the LA Sportiva Trango Cube. I have a pair, fit isn't quite right for me but they are a pretty solid boot. I like really stiff boots and these have a little more flex than the pure mountaineering boots but are definitely pretty stiff.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Scarpa Mont Blanc GTX. On my second pair and the fit/feel for my feet is outstanding. After trying a multitude of other mountaineering boots, I always come back to these.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Vaultman

Vaultman

WKR
I've got a pair of stiff Scarpa Wrangle for sale. If you're about a 10.5-11 boot size.
bigfoot here. Size 13. Thanks though.

I tried the Lowa Tibet and the Crispi Nevada today. Never tried a Crispi boot before, but that specific one did not fit my foot well. Felt kind of sloppy. I have owned and wore Lowa shoes before and really liked them. The Tibet fit great. I am going to keep checking some of the others mentioned before I pull the trigger. Thanks all!

Scarpa Mont Blanc GTX. On my second pair and the fit/feel for my feet is outstanding. After trying a multitude of other mountaineering boots, I always come back to these.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
+1 on the Mont Blancs. I got a pair of these about 6 months ago and they're built to last, very rugged boot and the sole is perfect stiffness for me.

Scarpa boots are the real deal. Listen to the other guys and get a pair of these. I’ve owned several pair and are by far my stiffest hunting boots.

Salewa ravens are pretty stiff and are generally comparable with scarpas. I enjoyed the raven 2’s.

OP
Vaultman

Vaultman

WKR
Following up... I went with the Lowa Tibet last May, and have been enjoying them thoroughly. They probably have 150 - 200 miles on them and I have no complaints. Great boot.

elktacos

FNG
I got the Lowa Zephyr when they were on sale. No complaints after chasing turkey, deer, elk, and just hiking this past year.