Looking for a water resistant puffy in solid earthy color...

Macchina

Lil-Rokslider
I tend to wear a lot of Merino underlayers and midlayers when moving and throw on an aging 850 fill down Lightweight packable puffy when it's really cold or when I'm sitting.

I'm thinking about replacing it this year and might want to go with a synthetic this time. I like to pack the puffy into a pocket about twice the size of a Nalgene when not in use and would like to keep doing that. Water resistance would be nice.

Any good insulated jackets in a solid brown or dark tan I should look at? I'll spend a decent amount for something good but wouldn't mind a cheap high-preforming option too as I'm hard on this layer with constant compressing.

Arcteryx makes a synthetic down jacket in a coyote tan color, so does Sitka I believe. I have the arcteryx atom ar which has dwr. It compresses down to a little bigger than a nalgene. I haven’t had it in a down poor, if I thought I’d be experiencing any amount of rain I’d put a hard shell over it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sitka kelvin lite is my go to for that role.

First lite has the uncomphagre which is not as warm but is less bulky.

Both offer down parkas but they are more bulk but a lot more warmth.

Here is a budget option for you if you’re not looking for a high end brand. Also checkout Eddie Bauer. They run big discount codes periodically. E.g. last weekend they had 40% off everything.

OP
M

Macchina

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks guys, I'm leaning toward the Sitka Kelvin. So many options with that one jacket though!

TheCougar

WKR
Sitka kelvin lite is my go to for that role.

First lite has the uncomphagre which is not as warm but is less bulky.

Both offer down parkas but they are more bulk but a lot more warmth.

You’re saying the Kelvin Lite is still warmer than the Uncomphagre? I always that it was the other way around, with the Regular Kelvin being warmer than everything except maybe the LPP.

You’re saying the Kelvin Lite is still warmer than the Uncomphagre? I always that it was the other way around, with the Regular Kelvin being warmer than everything except maybe the LPP.

Mmmmm. Yeah. My uncomphagre is not as warm as my kelvin lite to me. It also compresses better. Not sure which is what In terms of weight. I wouldn’t say it is a giant difference but it is noticeable to me.

Its in grey not tan/brown but I really like my Kuiu Kenai. Likely my favorite do all puffy and I have owned fair more than I care to admit. Others fill niches better sure but for a do all the Kuiu Kenai is hard to be for my uses.

I would have to agree with this. The kenai is a solid piece of gear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brendan

WKR
Agree on the Kenai for lighter weight / early season - it's been my go-to puffy for archery elk since 2014. Beads water better than I'd expect.

Later season / warmer - Kifaru Lost Park Parka. But, that isn't compressing as small.

OP
M

Macchina

Lil-Rokslider
Just about to order a Kelvin, then I found this Moosejaw Wabash with 80g Primaloft Silver. Any thoughts? My big issue would be if there material was loud...

10358923x1003149_vSpin.jpeg