Looking for a winter everyday jacket that has a hunting application

unchained

Lil-Rokslider
I am looking to buy a coat to do both. Ideally I can wear the jacket every day (no camo) and have it fill some hunting application. Ideally the application would be late season bow hunting in Wisconsin. However I am open to other ideas.

I wear a first lite catalyst almost every day. It’s surprisingly versatile across a wide range of temps. Then I wear it from September through November in the field.

slatty

WKR
I'm really happy with the black diamond first light jacket (comes in a hoody version). Primaloft, matte colour, tough outer shell. I found a really good deal on thelasthunt.com

OP
U

unchained

Lil-Rokslider
To add to this, I already have a Kuiu Kenai thats camo. Hoping that this coat can do something the Kenai can't. Thanks for the suggestions.

260madman

WKR
I’d be afraid of smell from everyday use and then hitting the woods. A spur of the moment trip to the woods wouldn’t happen if you had to wash it before going.

OP
U

unchained

Lil-Rokslider
I dont worry about scent. If they are down wind they'll smell you. would any of the jackets make an adequete outer layer? The kelvin recommended seems to be similar in usage to my Kenai

So what exactly are you looking for? A lightweight shell? Insulation? Hood? Short, 3/4 or long coat?

OP
U

unchained

Lil-Rokslider
I'm looking for an outer piece (hood) probably with some insulation as well while still being able to shoot a bow. Late season Treestand hunting would be primary use. Other hunts I do are elk and muley, archery, but dont think this jacket would apply. Here is what I currently have so as not to overlap.

Kuiu Guide soft shell
Kuiu Kenai syn insulation
Sitka Heavyweight Traverse i think

OP
U

unchained

Lil-Rokslider
No too worried about camo. Most of the pines I hunt have substantial cover and are grey, ideally jacket would be as well.
If they don't catch you move, they generally don't see you. I'd rather be warm in a solid color than shaking cold in camo. Looking to be under $250, hoping to find maybe a last years model on sale or something.

ScottinPA

WKR
Just picked up a Sitka High Country jacket. I got it in Blue for EDW but the other colors would work for hunting especially if under a light camo jacket.

renagde

WKR
Just picked up a 650 fill down Eddie Bauer jacket at Costco for $40. Can't beat that, has me thinking of selling my Kuiu Super down that I use a few weeks out of the year because it's Vias.

Benjblt

WKR
Mountain hardware stretch puffy
This one looks interesting and more durable then most down jackets.

Also, take a look at the Outdoor Researh Winter Ferrosi and the Arc'teryx Thorium AR. The Ferrosi look like it would have a durable face fabric not common with very many insulation layers. The Thorium AR has a 30D face fabric but seem much more durable then other 30D fabrics, ie the Kuiu Kenai. Also, a lot of guys speak of it being very warm.

kda082

WKR
I sent a winter ferossi back due to tightness. If you have an athletic build it’s tight.

Grizz

FNG
Check out the Outdoor Research transcendant hoody. Fairly warm and reasonably priced. I've had the same one for 4 years and its been to the middle east a few times and many many hunts.

Check out the Outdoor Research transcendant hoody. Fairly warm and reasonably priced. I've had the same one for 4 years and its been to the middle east a few times and many many hunts.

I've had this jacket for the past couple years and its my go to. I wear it for everything. It has enough tenacious tape that it could be classified as a modern camo pattern.