Looking for accessories

Ok guys, thank you everyone who responded to my last thread about buying a bow. I ended up spending my whole budget on a Mathews z7 extreme. It will come with a Mathews quiver and axion stabilizer but that is it. I am going to need a peep, release, rest, and sight. I need some suggestions as to what are good products to buy in the accessories category. I would like suggestions in the mid grade category as I spent most of my money to get the bow.

Thanks Patrick

jmez

WKR
Peep sights are cheap, I like 1/4 inch for hunting and use a G5 meta peep.

For accessories I would start by looking on Archery Talk classifieds and ebay. You can likey get used high end accessories for mid grade pricing.

Rest, limb driven in the only way to go IMO. Limb driver and trophy taker smack down are both good products. Both just came out with new models so you can likely get a used one for half price.

Sights, Copper John, Montana Black Gold, Spot Hogg all make nice sights. Not really mid grade sights but can likely get them for that price point used.

I like Scott releases, kind of depends on what type of release you are going to shoot. Caliper, single hook, thumb, back tension?

OR Archer

WKR
In my opinion there are a few things you can skimp on and others you shouldn't when it comes to accessories. First is your arrow rest. It's whats guiding your arrow so don't skimp here. Buy the best you can get. Trophy Taker, Ripcord, or Hamskea. I'd recommend and use any of these myself. Sights is an area where you can skimp a little. Black Gold Rush is a good mid grade sight with a lifetime warranty. Its basic but its durable and bright. Release is another accessory I don't think you should skimp on. Scott releases are always a solid choice and they offer a wide variety.

Craig4791

WKR
I feel a nice release is way underplayed. I prefer something with no trigger travel and adjustable. Learning to shoot where each shot that goes off is a surprise with a good follow through has really improved my groups.

I shoot a Spot Hogg Wiseguy release that I really like.

Quiver not so important as long as it doesn't make a bunch of noise at the shot.

Rest is pretty important I wouldn't skimp here either. I have had good luck with QAD rests but most here will tell you Hamskea. Ultimately if you can match your arrow spine to the bow and it tunes it will be ok.

CtP

Lil-Rokslider
Are all the QAD's limb driven. I've seached for the details but can't find it.

Archerytalk is a great place to pick up gear. I'm in the same boat as the OP, just bought a Drenalin off a Rokslide member and now it's time to outfit!!

I hear alot of good things about the Carter realeses, Quickie to be exact.

theedz

WKR
To be honest the accessories for archery have come so far in the last 5 years that really it comes down to personal preference. I do agree with Craig though that a good release can be a bigger variable than a lot of people realize. I personally shoot with a Jim Fletcher wrist release, but that is just my preference.

As far as rests go I shoot Ripcords. They have never let me down and the company is fabulous to work with, even if you need tuning help. Very intrigued to try their new one coming out the SOS. Most of the rest on the market are good, but there are a few bad ones out there and those are usually noted pretty quick.

Quiver is again a personal preference. Just make sure it mounts solid to the bow or sight. One other thing I have found, depending on what arrows you shoot, some quivers don't hold arrows well. I shoot micro-diameter arrows (Easton Axis) and some quiver are terrible at holding them in.

Sights are kind of an animal in themselves. First to start with the peep I would recommend making sure your peep is a metal/aluminum/titanium peep. I personally will not have a G5 meta peep on my bow. The ones that I have used become oval shaped almost everytime. I have heard people say they even will break in half on the string and cut the string. Maybe they have changed the material from 5 years ago and might be better, hard to ignore that kind of problem.
As far as the sight itself, I have gone into each season with a different sight I think for the last 5 years and many in between the seasons. I finally found one I am sticking with...atleast for now. I shoot the Montana Black Golds, they are pretty tough to beat. But lots of good sights out there, again preference and selecting one for your style of shooting and terrain.

OP
B
Thanks for the, I am definetly keeping my eye on AT and Ebay. I ahve been looking hard at the Scott Silverhorn Release. The QAD rest seems to get good reviews and looks like a good set up. As far as sight I will be checking out the Black Gold sights as recommended above. Anyone have any of these items used they want to sell?

Also the bow will be coming with a Mathews 5 arrow quiver and a 5" axion staberlizer, any info on theses? Will I need to upgrade or will they be GTG for a while.

Lawnboi

WKR
Get a good release from the get go, if that's the only thing you go big on its worth it. Everyting else can be found for a decent price.

If I were in your shoes id look at MBG sites. You can get a cheaper one now, and later on add a dovetail to it for a little more and have 3rd axis adjustment. They also make some really nice mid end sites.

As for a rest, I wouldn't go cheap on this either, but if you are id go with a whisker biscuit. Don't buy a cheap drop away....

Arrows would be my next concern, most of the mid grade arrows will do you just fine.

Quiver and stabilizer can be bought as funds arise pretty much unless you plan on spring hunting.

jmez

WKR
Are all the QAD's limb driven. I've seached for the details but can't find it.

Archerytalk is a great place to pick up gear. I'm in the same boat as the OP, just bought a Drenalin off a Rokslide member and now it's time to outfit!!

I hear alot of good things about the Carter realeses, Quickie to be exact.

None of the QAD's are limbdriven

c5mrr270

WKR
The quiver and stabilized you have will be good enough to get you started. As for the rest a limb driven style is the only way to go. I personally don't like qads at all. As for sights a used spot hogg seven deadly pins would be a good one. Montana black gold are also good for the price. Did you get arrows or are you looking for those as well?

OP
B
I understand how the cable driven rest work. How does a limb driven rest work? I will still need to get some arrows, Have some at a good price?

theedz

WKR
Hey Battleborn, was just looking at your original post, what is your draw length and drawing weight? It will help us know what spined arrows you need if someone might have some.

Also just as an option to free up some money you could sell the quiver and depending on the number of arrows (3 or 5) could probably get $100 bucks out of it. If you wanted could sell the stabilizer too. Probably get anywhere from $40-60 for that. Both those styles are a pretty hot commodity right now on ArcheryTalk and Ebay. Just an idea.

OP
B
^^^^^^ My draw length is 28.5, and I will shooting at about 66-67 pounds. I may think about selling the quiver (5 arrow) but I think I will keep the stab.

c5mrr270

WKR
The spring in a cable activated rest holds the launcher down and when the bow is drawn the cord comes tight and pulls the rest up into position. At the shot the cord becomes slack and the spring pulls the.rest out of the way.

A limb driven rest works the opposite, the spring in the rest wants to hold the launcher up, but at rest the activation cord that is tied to the limbs is tight and holding the rest down. When the bow is drawn the limbs are pulled inward causing the activation cord to come slack, this allows the spring to lift the launcher into position. At the shot the limbs move outward pulling the.cord tight which jerks the rest out of the way.

A limb driven rest guides the arrow for longer and is typically more forgiving than fall away type rests. Also they make working on your bow way easier. Any time you change something on your bow with a cable activated fall away you will have to re-time the rest which can be a PITA when you have to cut and reserve the activation cord every time.

Also I forgot to mention that a good mid level release is the Scott Little Bitty Goose. I like this release because it is durable and uses a web instead of a post to attach the head to wrist strap. I prefer the webbing because you can adjust the head to exactly where you want it. Hope I explained that thing about the rests well enough.

Robpr

Lil-Rokslider
Battleborn, if you're interested I have a used Spot Hogg Right On with 5 pins wrapped in .19 fibers. I'll take $100 plus shipping. Its a good condition with no broken fibers. I went to a moveable MBG Ascent sight last year. If you are interested send me an email at

Last edited:
OP
B
Got a good price on a used axion GLR drop away rest today. Anyone used one or have a review? Still trying to decide on a sight, this is a fun process.

Robpr

Lil-Rokslider
Battleborn, did u get my email with the pics? if u are interested let me know and I'll throw in a peep sight and some D loop string for you, if not no worries.

OP
B
Hey Rob I just check and I did get your email. I purchased a sight last night though. Thanks for the offer, if this sight does not work out I may be looking for a spott Hogg.