Looking for advice on a 300 wsm build

Timnterra

Lil-Rokslider
I’m planning a midweight 300wsm build on a tikka action. I want to have the rifle end up around 8lbs without optics and I think I’ve got that about right with the parts i have. The barrel is a Bertlein 3b 1-9” twist, the stock is McMillan game scout edge fill with a standard tikka plastic bottom metal and Mtn tactical long action magazine. My question is on the chamber throat. I want to utilize the whole magazine length to shoot 225 eldm and possibly 230 and 250 atips. I made up a dummy round with a 225 seated just above the neck shoulder junction and had been planning to just having the throat cut to that round. However, recently I have been reading about the defensive edge “plus p” throats and I am very interested it the possibilities of extra performance that could be gained. Anyone out there with 300 wsm experience please chime in and let me know what you think I should do.

Last edited:

khuber84

WKR
You're going to want the freebore around 0.255" - 0.275" for those long bearing surface bullets. I would stay away from the +p, and just run hbn as it seems as if they give close to the same advantages. It's been rumored that +p throats wear quicker, plus they require more powder to get the speeds back, and even more to run the next node up. That heavy of a bullet in a 300wsm, I'd suggest H1000, imr 7977, possibly even Retumbo. Rl26 will give good speeds as well, it's just not as temp stable as the previous stated. My rifles built in a Tikka, but is only 6.5# bare, 8# with optics. I'm running 225 freebore for 215 Bergers, utilizing hells canyon bullet magazines. Loaded coal at lands is around 3.18" I use RL23 at 2850 fps from my 22.5" carbon 9.5tw barrel. Rl26 will go 2920 but it's not as accurate at rl23.