Looking for advice on CO drop camps

ahlgringo

WKR
Buddies and I have decided to do something a little different next year. Looking for advice on CO OTC archery outfitters that offer drop camp option. I know its tough even with a drop camp to get away from others, but the further the better. Travel through private (or hunt private) to access remote would also be a plus. 4 guys in good shape, CO natives- pretty accustomed and a decent amount of experience (all hunting 10plus yrs here). Trying to get a jump on 2021 season- and maybe some of you guys just had a great experience last month and wouldn't mind sharing info on outfitters. Looking to spend no more than 2500 each, don't want guided, freezer hunters so trophy potential not as important as opportunities. Feel free to PM me if you don't want to broadcast to world.

I have been looking on sportsmanslogistics.com looking, but honestly the number of outfitters on there is overwhelming and really looking for first person experience.

Much appreciation

Ya may want to check out the outfitter reviews on the Bowsite.com forums as well. Might be of some help

OP
A

ahlgringo

WKR

Ya may want to check out the outfitter reviews on the Bowsite.com forums as well. Might be of some help
Will do, thanks

I think both mineral mountain only hunts 66/67 both limited. Will look into actionadventures

Marble

WKR
I would save the money, rent horses, buy good gear, have it for next year and build upon that. That's what we do. Total independence and we are very very successful.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Marble

WKR
I think 2500 might be tough to find. I haven't priced them out in a few years though.

OP
A

ahlgringo

WKR
Thanks Marble,
We are all pretty good on gear- again been doing that game for a long time now. I am not really looking to rent horses and then have to take care/look after them- no experience there and really would rather only have to worry about huntin. A buddy and I rented llamas one year though-they were not too bad. Really we are just looking at doing this as an experience since none of us has ever previously.

As far as pricing goes- it at least seems that almost most weeklong non-guided drop camps run between 13-1800 or so- so I think our budget should be sufficient?

Marble

WKR
Thanks Marble,
We are all pretty good on gear- again been doing that game for a long time now. I am not really looking to rent horses and then have to take care/look after them- no experience there and really would rather only have to worry about huntin. A buddy and I rented llamas one year though-they were not too bad. Really we are just looking at doing this as an experience since none of us has ever previously.

As far as pricing goes- it at least seems that almost most weeklong non-guided drop camps run between 13-1800 or so- so I think our budget should be sufficient?
Yeah I hear you on horses and taking care of them. Big time consumer each day.

If you could find a drop camp for that price range that's a pretty good deal. Where I go in CO I want to say its near 3500. They bring in hunters Friday and pick them up Wednesday or Thursday.

Ill send you a PM.

Bolt

Lil-Rokslider
Packstring outfitter, don't go unless you draw 1st rifle, the area get some pressure. Archery should be good too.

md126

WKR
I would only ever consider a drop camp on private land. The only advantage to drop camps otherwise are getting an animal packed out.

Consider llamas instead of horses if you use pack animals.

Jxferg7

Lil-Rokslider
IMHO...don’t do it. Depending on your ability. If your willing and able just go OTC. I would spend your money to hunt private land or go OTC DIY. Spend that Money on some llamas, horses, ATV’s, or a packout service. To pay that much money to horse in a few miles and hunt with other backpack hunters just isn’t a bargain...when I no longer have the ability to hike It.

Reactions: p89

I would do private before I would do another drop camp. Drops can be good or the elk may have moved to somewhere else. These companies get pretty good reviews.

Thanks for posting. My hunting buddies pitched a similar idea but I was hesitant on fronting that much money for something that had undeterminable odds of success (we're trying new areas this year so mostly flying blind at this point). I would feel much better paying just for the pack-out service. I haven't done much homework there but do drop-camp services usually offer just pack-out services or are there better deals for vendors that soley offer pack-out resources?

Matt1214

Lil-Rokslider

I would do private before I would do another drop camp. Drops can be good or the elk may have moved to somewhere else. These companies get pretty good reviews.
Have you hunted with them? Prices are great, but wondering if its a "you get what you pay for" situation

I have not personally hunted with them, but have heard only good reviews on multiple hunting websites. I doubt there is much trophy potential on these, but if you just want to kill an elk, I have heard they are pretty good. Overall success statewide in Colorado on elk is around 20%. Private land usually does better than that.

Also, I suspect it may be hard to book on these ranches as a single. They might prefer groups

Gapmaster

WKR
Did a drop camp once in an OTC. We were way way back in the sticks. Didn’t see any other hunters but also struggled to find any elk. IMHO a drop camp can hinder you by forcing you to hunt a certain area. You have no control over picking up and jumping 10-20 miles for an option B,C etc.
It was a fantastic trip, riding horses in that deep and everything that goes with, but I personally wouldn’t pay to do it again. Prefer to just hump it in until I find them now. Camp on my back. Good luck.

saltfork

Lil-Rokslider
My experience with a drop camp in Colorado echo's Gapmasters. Four of us were packed in several miles, way beyond any other camps or day hikers. The only hunters we saw were miles away. It was a beautiful camp setup in an awesome place. Unfortunately the elk were just not there. I think we saw 12 elk in 7 days of hunting. It was a cool experience, but I probably wouldn't do it again.