Looking for advice on going back to school/career change at 41.

OP
fngTony

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Is it possible to work on a masters degree in a new field while working your current job? That’s what I did, completed the masters degree debt free and landed a much better gig right off the bat, more desirable work, higher salary, better location.
Yes, I’m signed up for an associate degree. It can go on to different bachelors and a masters degree. I’m leaving that open for now as I consider my options. I have several years of continuing my current job as long as I’m working on something else I won’t go too crazy.

Laramie

WKR
I left a job of 18 years when I was 37. I took 5 months of deciding what I wanted to do and I worked a side business with my oldest son. I found the right opportunity and have been there for the past 8 years. I don't regret the change at all.

Mudslinger

Lil-Rokslider
I know you said IT but if you don't mind working outside and the pay is pretty good after a few years is like it was said before is being a lineman

OP
fngTony

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
I know you said IT but if you don't mind working outside and the pay is pretty good after a few years is like it was said before is being a lineman
Lineman was a strong consideration. My wife has a younger cousin doing that in western Nebraska. He’s killing it financially and on track to living very comfortably. Just not for me as I want to reserve my body (and tolerance to crap weather) for recreation.

Billinsd

WKR
My buddy got his engineering degree at 45 and says it was one of the best things he ever did.

Cost can vary dramatically. The school is not nearly as important as the degree in the long run, for most schools and disciplines.
BeSet, Bacheor of Science degree in Engineering, best bang for the buck.

Billinsd

WKR
Lineman was a strong consideration. My wife has a younger cousin doing that in western Nebraska. He’s killing it financially and on track to living very comfortably. Just not for me as I want to reserve my body (and tolerance to crap weather) for recreation.
Use your mind and not your body for a career, both will thank you later.

All American Boy

Lil-Rokslider
I live in Colorado and the price of housing in this state has skyrocketed and salaries have not kept pace with it. Software programmer, engineer, nurse, all have excellent career futures, particularly on the Front Range. That said, my son became a master plumber in Colorado. At 24 years old, he is doing very well. Lots of well paying jobs in that as well.

I'll be eligible to retire form the FD in a few years at 49. I've been thinking about a second career. I've seriously considered going to school to be an electrician. Think anybody would hire a 50 year old? I'd really like to find something with a flexible schedule where I could work 7 days straight and then take a week off. Or take off for a whole month, etc.

Deadfall

WKR
Started my own business at 42. Wife and i were nervous as long tailed cat in a room full of rocking chairs.. stayed the course, now at 43 business is out of control.
You can always go back to fixing glass. Only way to know is too try.

Deadfall

WKR
I'll be eligible to retire form the FD in a few years at 49. I've been thinking about a second career. I've seriously considered going to school to be an electrician. Think anybody would hire a 50 year old? I'd really like to find something with a flexible schedule where I could work 7 days straight and then take a week off. Or take off for a whole month, etc.
All the trades are struggling for bodies. Finding work as electrician won't be a problem. Will take a good minute to get journeyman/master license. 5 to 8 years.

wesfromky

WKR
If you are looking at IT - there are other paths then college, many that are free. Just depends on what aspect of IT you are interested in and your ability to teach yourself / learn as you go. Check into WGU - they have a kinda different way of doing higher ed, and you end up with a bunch of it certs as part of the process.

ThisIsMyHandle

Lil-Rokslider
This sounds like a perfect question for google search.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You have a lot of experience in that trade. Have you considered starting your own independent glass replacement business? Its can be tough being independent but also profitable and flexible.

MThuntr

WKR
what about a trade? Plumbing, HVAC, Electrician?
If I had to do it again I'd go into some sort of trade and get paid while learning after a few years you'd be able to write your own ticket anywhere

OP
fngTony

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
what about a trade? Plumbing, HVAC, Electrician?
If I had to do it again I'd go into some sort of trade and get paid while learning after a few years you'd be able to write your own ticket anywhere
Those trades are more rewarding than mine. They carry the same thing as in being tied to a service vehicle that you don’t have full use of or doesn’t have enough seating for the family. There’s benefits to that it’s not your gas or maintenance but then there’s the not knowing what time or where you are finishing work at, makes planning difficult.

OP
fngTony

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
You have a lot of experience in that trade. Have you considered starting your own independent glass replacement business? Its can be tough being independent but also profitable and flexible.
Too many people doing it here, kinda like hunting an otc elk tag in Colorado. Profit margins are horrible.

fmyth

WKR
It’s a loaded question so any advice or experiences are welcome. I know it’s time for a change but I don’t know many who went this route around this age. Also I’m looking at a cost of $33k and honestly I have no idea how to value that.
***edit to add more detail****
For the last 19 years I’ve been replacing autoglass. Driving around Denver to perform cosmetic surgery on your car in your driveway. Weather, traffic can be tough to deal with, the industry pay and benefits have not kept up with inflation especially in an expensive city. While there is some potential increase of income it would require a passion that I no longer have.
After a lot of consideration I decided to get into some side of IT work. With the idea that I can work later in life if needed or potentially earn enough to retire more comfortably.
My son has his own autoglass replacement biz. He specializes in working with bodyshops and does quite well. Most every new car now requires the sensors to be recalibrated after glass replacement. Have you considered switching to running your own recalibration biz or adding it as an add on service? Insurance pays between 250-450 for a recalibration that takes 30 min. The equiopment is a 5k investment and requires a $100 a month software licensing fee for updates. I am semi retired and am considering buying the equipment and subcontracting the work under my sons company.

Last edited:

cjdewese

WKR
Most important is a pension and health care..
Most important is enjoying your life while you live it.

Tomorrow is not promised I'd rather die poor and happy than rich and miserable. Just me and the way I have chosen to live my life. I've been around a lot of death from people close to me in my life and it makes you appreciate every single day that you get to breathe on this earth. Happiness should be primary goal vs monetary reward as long as you can provide what you need to for yourself and your family.

Rich M

WKR
That whole happy thing makes my ass twitch - if it works for you, great, just makes me twitch. That's the art history or film major crying he can't find a job during a tough time or losing his job during a pandemic. Suffer a little, figure out a happy work/life balance but prepare for the unsettled future with an employable and higher paying career. Maybe you'll actually enjoy it...

Pension is tough to find these days but some places still have it.

The health care thing is primo. Wait til you have an Obama-Plan w $1,000/month premium and $13,000 deductible and your wife gets sick or you break a leg. Just to add my wife to my work-sponsored health plan would be $500/month and the deductible goes up to $7K. That's $13K a year to have her on there.

If you can do strong math and want to make money, have better job retention during downturns:
Engineer
Accountant

If you can schmooze folks well:
Sales

Computers - we all need someone to fix the danged things
Computer aided drafting - lotsa companies have drafts-people

Business management - land you a job at the local chain grocery store and provide pretty well w pay bennies and vacation time over time.

Bankers do good - you'll need a business/accounting type degree and an MBA later on. Work as a teller while you get the degree.

Sell weed - you live in CO.

At 41 the trades are out, too old to do the grunt work for 10-20 years working your way up.

Maybe a certified auto mechanic - my nephew went to some big automotive school for about 18 months and has been working his way up ever since. He's done very well but has more drive than most and has the gift of gab - folks just like him - add a bit of talent, and presto for climbing the ladder.