Looking for advice on going back to school/career change at 41.

After 11 years of working in the Machine shop/Oil field I made the move last year.. I paid $20k to go to a lineschool, and took a 60% pay cut.. But I got hired on with a company that I should retire from and I should be making as much if not more than my old job in the next two year.. Best decision I have ever made.

Depending on your physical conditioning your def still able to do line work..

OR Archer

WKR
I’ve thought about this as well. I’d seriously look into health care. There’s plenty of good paying jobs available with some only requiring a 2 year degree ie Xray Tech. Good luck with whatever you choose.

Health informatics blends the IT side into health care and pays better than being a tech.

Health Care is a good bet though for obvious reasons.

jlh42581

WKR
Ive been in tech now for 15 years. I make a SOLID income. Not sure id do it again, its not hard work but its been stressful over the years. Theres something about trapping yourself indoors as an outdoorsman too. Until my recent job I spent five years in an every three weeks rotation of on call. I tell my kid to go into heavy equipment. You could go to votech for that, cheap. Plumbers are short on supply too, some are over six figures with just apprenticeships in a few years. I really like the company I work for but if I could obtain the money I do doing stuff outside I would choose that.

Zlucas

FNG
Same thing different age. 32 yr old firefighter that got hit with some cancer at the mid 2020 mark. While appropriate for the year, not what I was expecting. For me it’s tough but through the skills I earned at the fire department I have taken a step forward move towards nursing. Patient care is similar and enjoy putting in the work to help people.

You got it. Find something you learned while doing the other job and expand on that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk