Looking for advice on this Sitka system for 80F-20F

phobiarg

FNG
I am looking upgrade my camo system from Walmart specials to a legit set of Sitka. I am trying to setup a flexible system on a moderate budget. Im hoping to use the Subalpine pants and base layer shirt during spring turkey and early season white-tail then transition to the Elevated II gear once the leaves start falling. I live in the mid Atlantic so extreme cold isn't really a problem, my hunting seasons are usually in the 70s to 30s. With that being said I wanted advice on if these items would provide enough warmth for our 30-40 degree winter mornings with the occasional dip into the high 20s. I keep reading about in the 40s, people saying they use vests or mid layer jackets and such. Could the Hoody double as that layer?

Early Season and Spring Turkey:
Subalpine Core Midweight Zip-T
Subalpine Traverse Pant
Subalpine SITKA Cap
Core Neck Gaiter
Merino Core Lightweight Boxer

Mid-Late Season and Fall Turkey:
(The Early season stuff as base/mid layers as needed)
Fanatic Hoody
Stratus Jacket
Stratus Bib
Stratus WS Beanie
Fanatic Glove
Core Midweight Bottom

Im hoping I can flip flop stuff around as needed. For instance using the Stratus Bib with just the core bottoms during the intermediate temps and whatnot.

Last edited:

STL

FNG
I would probably add in, or swap out the mid for, a core lightweight hoody as an outer when it’s hot and next to skin for rest of the season. Maybe some insulating pieces too for that 20-40 range? Something like the Celsius midi or fanatic vest would work well.

Agree with the above, a solid insulating mid that can double as an outer layer will serve you well for those 20-30 degree days.
But you are solid into the mid 30’s for sure.

Core lightweight hoody instead of the mid zip t.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I will always take a hoodie over a non-hoodie, unless the potential need for head wear is covered by another product. However, I often use a base layer hoodie in the afternoons and something warmer in the mornings and evenings as I often get some good temp swings. FYI, a warm weather base layer hoody sprayed with permethrin is awesome for keeping the bugs away.

Gmr777

Lil-Rokslider
Second the core lightweight hoody. The built in face mask is clutch for turkey hunting and for hot days it wicks moisture awesome. Also don’t need a face mask with built in. Then I’d add the traverse cold weather hoody to that for colder weather. Has the same built in face mask, good fleece warmth and quiet.

My core setup for any season and weather is core lightweight hoodie, traverse shirt, traverse cold weather hoody. I have the traverse pants and they are good for warm weather and the timberline which are great cooler pant. I think the mountain pant would probably work well for what you’re wanting.

I have a lot of Sitka gear and find that I use the core 3-4 pieces above. I think less is more if you have the right pieces coupled with rain/snow gear if that’s a concern.