Looking for advise

Ctpa61

FNG
Ok, archery elk hunting. Shooting 5mm fmj 340 spine at 11.3 grain per inch, 27 inch arrow. Total arrow weight with Silver Flame 100
gr broadheads is 460gr. Shooting a Matthews Triax at 70 pounds is giving me 255 fps. Doing the FOC math gives me just shy of 10% FOC. Give me your thoughts on this set up. Would I be better off bumping up to a 125 grain head? Also The Silver Flame is a 1.10 cut width two blade double bevel head. Flies like a dart from my bow out to 50 yards. Should I be searching for a wider cut broadhead, or a 3 blade head?

Just my $.02, but if you are shooting good, stick with what you know/trust.

If you like to tinker, go to the standard Axis shaft(or any other carbon shaft with about 9gpi) and pick a collar/footer you like. Use the Gold Tip FOC calculator before you buy the shaft and check your numbers. You will get better FOC and be in same weight range. My personal arrow is a 340 Axis 5mm with 50gr brass insert, 25 gr Iron Will Collar, and 100gr broadhead. 27.5” CtC and weighs 465gr. Shoots 265fps out of my bow.

nphunter

WKR
Your fine and if they fly good don’t mess with them. FOC doesn’t matter much if at all for penetration TAW matters. I’ve killed elk with arrows from 7%-17% and they all died and all had pass through shots. Figure out the TAW you are after and build according to that.

OP
C

Ctpa61

FNG
Thank you Gents for replying. I know the set up is good enough for white tails, just was not sure about elk. It will save valuable practice time sticking with what I got versus trying new stuff. Thank You again!

406unltd

WKR
I mean if they shoot good and you are happy with the trajectory, performance on target performance, quietness of your bow then I wouldn’t change anything. Confidence is key in my opinion. However if you have something that is bothering you about the setup and you have the money to change it then by all means correct the issue you have. If it was me I’d find a way to increase my speed a little and shoot a coc head. It’s a very personal subject so I’d just do what you are comfortable with.

pirogue

WKR
Don’t overthink it, especially if it flies good to 50. I don’t have a clue what my FOC is, but I harvested a 6 pt mud caked bull last fall and got a complete pass thru at 32 yards, 60 # bow, 28 in draw, FMJ w/100 gr broadhead, for total weight about 420ish.