Looking for advise

Hey all, I have been talking about doing an elk hunt for a while now with my dad. He’s not getting any younger and so we have decided to try get out west in the year of 22 if at all possible by then. Both dad and I grew up hunting the hills of Arkansas which we both know are nothing like out west. We’ve had many family vacations in Colorado, New Mexico and well every state west of the Mississippi. My thing is what should we do to prepare for this hunt? Gear and so on. We will be doing a DIY for rifle. I would prefer bow but dad can’t hardly pull his back anymore. I’m not sure which state we would even go to or where to go either. Like I said, this is all new to us but we would appreciate any advise from any of you. Thank you and God Bless.

My 1st family elk hunt, brother dad and some friends. We rented a condo in Colorado for a week it was a lot cheaper than buying gear. If I can remember correctly it was $140 per person and we order pizza if we didn't want to cook at night. Heat, showers, and a bed couldn't beat it... The only downside was the 40 minute drive every morning.

bsnedeker

WKR
First thing to do is figure out where you will be able to go in '22. You will have draw options and OTC options. I assume you haven't been building points so your draw options are going to be very limited. If you are going to go OTC there are only a few options for that anymore (for bulls anyway) and they are all pretty crowded so be sure you have realistic expectations going in. My advice: Don't worry about building points, put in for NM and ID draw units which do not have point systems. If you draw that, great! If not, go OTC.

Once you've figured out where you want to go start hitting the maps and looking for potential areas to hunt. Lots of great resources out there to help you with that. You can go on Youtube and watch Randy Newberg's content which is a great start. If you want something more advanced you can look at something like Treeline Academy's course on escouting which I think is full of great information.

I agree with the previous post about finding a place to stay that is comfortable for your dad. This is also going to limit your hunting quite a bit, but if you wear your dad out on the first day and he doesn't get good sleep it isn't going to be much of a hunt anyway.

OP
B
Thank you for this advice. I will for sure look into what you have both said. To me just being out there with dad is worth it, to get one on the ground is a plus.

Wvroach

WKR
I'd agree with the above the only thing I'd add is about camping, depending on where you go a daily drive may cost more sleep than setting camp close by.

You can go the wall tent route and set up a decent base camp for around 1500$ including everything you need. Granted it's not going to last forever but it's a good start and if it's something you plan on doing more often would be worth it.

You don't need top notch gear to get out in the woods, I've got limited western experience but have been hunting the Appalachian mountains my entire life from camps. We made due for the longest time in the cold of winter with a cheap wall camp and wood stove with our box store sleeping bags. The nice new gear is great and if you have the funds go for it but it isn't necessary to be successful.

Most of the areas I hunt require a minimum 1 hour drive each way to the closest town and I hunt a hour before first light to hard dark, I wouldn't want to add 2 hours of driving on that each day already only getting about 5-6 hours of camp time. Although that shower you take after being in the woods taking bird baths for 2 weeks feels great.

Never to early to start taking the stairs, working out, working with a trainer, losing extra pounds or whatever you need to to do be in the best possible shape.

For Elk hunting if you are going to spend money spend it on Optics and Good boots. The rest does not have to be Stika, Kuiu etc. You can stay plenty warm in affordable gear. You can't hike in cheap boots or spot Elk with cheap binos.

If you invest good camping gear, you have it the year after and the year after. If this is a one time deal for you personally, then renting a cabin is smart. If you plan to go back....

Might look into some trespass hunts on private. Much less competition, and usually increased odds. And may come with a cabin?